Even older version MC?

Eva Isotalo-2
I'm having irritating issues when trying to adjust our (very old) game. We want to make a download version of it since there is still a demand for it. The only thing I'm doing is to change the start up file (exe) so it doesn't check for a CD in a drive. I then save the start up file. As a result I get all kinds of issues with errors in other stacks which I haven't touched! I have tried doing this on two Vista systems, 32 and 64 bits which makes no significant difference.
I  save the file now with MC version 2.4.3 and the game was made with the version from year 2000 (can't even remember which version I had then). I have looked through backups to find the older MC version with no luck.

My Qs:
Are these issues all MC version related or does it also have to do with computer system?
Do I need to get hold of the old MC version I purchased once upon a time to get rid of these issues? If so, does Runrev still have those old MC versions around? Well I can write them directly about that of course. :)

Any suggestions appreciated.
Eva

Re: Even older version MC?

Mark Schonewille-4
Hi Eva,

Just a guess... your app expects to find a CD and then reads files from this CD. The path to the files is probably saved in a variable somewhere. Now you have disabled this feature and your app can no longer find the files. As a result, your scripts no longer work properly. Do you think this could be the cause of your problems?

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Become our partner in sales http://qery.us/16r Start selling Color Converter today. 20% commission!

On 3 nov 2011, at 11:39, Eva Isotalo wrote:

> I'm having irritating issues when trying to adjust our (very old) game. We want to make a download version of it since there is still a demand for it. The only thing I'm doing is to change the start up file (exe) so it doesn't check for a CD in a drive. I then save the start up file. As a result I get all kinds of issues with errors in other stacks which I haven't touched! I have tried doing this on two Vista systems, 32 and 64 bits which makes no significant difference.
> I  save the file now with MC version 2.4.3 and the game was made with the version from year 2000 (can't even remember which version I had then). I have looked through backups to find the older MC version with no luck.
>
> My Qs:
> Are these issues all MC version related or does it also have to do with computer system?
> Do I need to get hold of the old MC version I purchased once upon a time to get rid of these issues? If so, does Runrev still have those old MC versions around? Well I can write them directly about that of course. :)
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
> Eva

Re: Even older version MC?

Eva Isotalo-2
Thank you Mark.

All paths are relative and the start up stack check where it is situated at at start up and saves the path to a custom prop. Everything having a path of sort is checking this custom prop where to go.

One thing some untouched stacks reacted to, after saving the start up stack with MC 2.4.3, is 'focus btn "horse"'.  I changed it to 'set focus of btn "horse" to true' which worked but I still get other errors which I don't understand why they happen. Error msg don't show reasons or points to anything, they are blank.

I can't justify recoding half the game, time and energy wise, just because I change a couple of lines in one stack.
So is this a dead end then maybe?

Re: Even older version MC?

Björnke von Gierke
Did you try to use the Rev/LC IDE? maybe it is a bit more specific about the error.

Another thing to consider is using a different version of the engine for your game. Older engines do have compatibility problems with some newer OS features, and newer version might interpret existing code slightly different (especially visual adjustments on the screen).

It's kinda hard to track these things down.  Good luck with the hunting :(

On 3 Nov 2011, at 15:12, Eva Isotalo wrote:

> Thank you Mark.
>
> All paths are relative and the start up stack check where it is situated at at start up and saves the path to a custom prop. Everything having a path of sort is checking this custom prop where to go.
>
> One thing some untouched stacks reacted to, after saving the start up stack with MC 2.4.3, is 'focus btn "horse"'.  I changed it to 'set focus of btn "horse" to true' which worked but I still get other errors which I don't understand why they happen. Error msg don't show reasons or points to anything, they are blank.
>
> I can't justify recoding half the game, time and energy wise, just because I change a couple of lines in one stack.
> So is this a dead end then maybe?
>

> On 2011-11-03 11:49, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eva,
>>
>> Just a guess... your app expects to find a CD and then reads files from this CD. The path to the files is probably saved in a variable somewhere. Now you have disabled this feature and your app can no longer find the files. As a result, your scripts no longer work properly. Do you think this could be the cause of your problems?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille

Watch live presentations every Saturday:
http://livecode.tv

Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/

Chat with other RunRev developers: