Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I like blue cheese . . .

But I don't like what happens when I try to export coloured text from
a field in LC 8.1.4 as the _colours_ are NOT exported.

This is ODD as a while back the colours were exporting . . . .

Mac OS 10.7.8,  LC 8.1.4 Indy.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
How are you trying to export the text? Works alright here with Indy 8.1.4 and MacOS 10.13.
Sample script that works for me:

on mouseUp

  ask file "Give your file a name:”

  put "file:" & it into tURL

  if char - 1 to -4 of tURL <> ".rtf" then

    put ".rtf" after tURL

  end if

  put rtfText of field 1 into url tURL

end mouseUp

Regards
Tore Nilsen

> 2. jul. 2017 kl. 16:37 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I like blue cheese . . .
>
> But I don't like what happens when I try to export coloured text from
> a field in LC 8.1.4 as the _colours_ are NOT exported.
>
> This is ODD as a while back the colours were exporting . . . .
>
> Mac OS 10.7.8,  LC 8.1.4 Indy.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
EXPORT button:

onmouseUp

askfile "Choose where you wish to export your text"

iftheresult= "cancel"

thenexitmouseUp

else

puttheRTFtextoffld "fRESULT" intourl("file:" & it & ".rtf")

getthelongFilePathofit

settheitemDelimitertoslash

setthedefaultFoldertoitem 1 to-2 ofthelongFilePathofit

endif

endmouseUp

*
**Rich**mond.*

On 7/2/17 6:24 pm, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode wrote:

> How are you trying to export the text? Works alright here with Indy 8.1.4 and MacOS 10.13.
> Sample script that works for me:
>
> on mouseUp
>
>    ask file "Give your file a name:”
>
>    put "file:" & it into tURL
>
>    if char - 1 to -4 of tURL <> ".rtf" then
>
>      put ".rtf" after tURL
>
>    end if
>
>    put rtfText of field 1 into url tURL
>
> end mouseUp
>

> Regards
> Tore Nilsen
>
>> 2. jul. 2017 kl. 16:37 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I like blue cheese . . .
>>
>> But I don't like what happens when I try to export coloured text from
>> a field in LC 8.1.4 as the _colours_ are NOT exported.
>>
>> This is ODD as a while back the colours were exporting . . . .
>>
>> Mac OS 10.7.8,  LC 8.1.4 Indy.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Did you already try ... url("binfile:" & it & ".rtf")?

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
No, but I will.

Richmond.

On 7/2/17 7:07 pm, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> Did you already try ... url("binfile:" & it & ".rtf")?

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Your script works here.

Regards
Tore

> 2. jul. 2017 kl. 17:51 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> EXPORT button:
>
> onmouseUp
>
> askfile "Choose where you wish to export your text"
>
> iftheresult= "cancel"
>
> thenexitmouseUp
>
> else
>
> puttheRTFtextoffld "fRESULT" intourl("file:" & it & ".rtf")
>
> getthelongFilePathofit
>
> settheitemDelimitertoslash
>
> setthedefaultFoldertoitem 1 to-2 ofthelongFilePathofit
>
> endif
>
> endmouseUp
>
> *
> **Rich**mond.*
>

> On 7/2/17 6:24 pm, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode wrote:
>> How are you trying to export the text? Works alright here with Indy 8.1.4 and MacOS 10.13.
>> Sample script that works for me:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>
>>   ask file "Give your file a name:”
>>
>>   put "file:" & it into tURL
>>
>>   if char - 1 to -4 of tURL <> ".rtf" then
>>
>>     put ".rtf" after tURL
>>
>>   end if
>>
>>   put rtfText of field 1 into url tURL
>>
>> end mouseUp
>>

>> Regards
>> Tore Nilsen
>>
>>> 2. jul. 2017 kl. 16:37 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I like blue cheese . . .
>>>
>>> But I don't like what happens when I try to export coloured text from
>>> a field in LC 8.1.4 as the _colours_ are NOT exported.
>>>
>>> This is ODD as a while back the colours were exporting . . . .
>>>
>>> Mac OS 10.7.8,  LC 8.1.4 Indy.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Your script works with both “file" and “binfile” here.

Regards
Tore

> 2. jul. 2017 kl. 18:38 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> No, but I will.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 7/2/17 7:07 pm, hh via use-livecode wrote:
>> Did you already try ... url("binfile:" & it & ".rtf")?

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
The problem is quite different: and this only became clear when I tested
your script inwith my Devawriter Pro
and outwith it in a simpler stack.

The problem is that the text that becomes colourised is then moved intil
another field, and then is exported from
that field; during the movement from the first field to the second one
its styling is lost:

setthetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard
"DEVANAGARI"

setthetextSizeoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextSizeoffld
"fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"

Presumably (?)  I will need a third line something like this:

setthetextColoroffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextColoroffld
"fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"

indeed, that is what I am about to try.

On 7/2/17 7:56 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> The problem is quite different: and this only became clear when I
> tested your script inwith my Devawriter Pro
> and outwith it in a simpler stack.
>
> The problem is that the text that becomes colourised is then moved
> intil another field, and then is exported from
> that field; during the movement from the first field to the second one
> its styling is lost:
>
> setthetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextoffld "fRESULT"
> ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>
> setthetextSizeoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextSizeoffld
> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>
> Presumably (?)  I will need a third line something like this:
>
> setthetextColoroffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextColoroffld
> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>
> indeed, that is what I am about to try.
>
> Richmond.

Which did NOT work.

textStyle (?)

R.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Which did NOT work either . . . .

Richmond.

On 7/2/17 8:00 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On 7/2/17 7:56 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>> The problem is quite different: and this only became clear when I
>> tested your script inwith my Devawriter Pro
>> and outwith it in a simpler stack.
>>
>> The problem is that the text that becomes colourised is then moved
>> intil another field, and then is exported from
>> that field; during the movement from the first field to the second
>> one its styling is lost:
>>
>> setthetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextoffld "fRESULT"
>> ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>>
>> setthetextSizeoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextSizeoffld
>> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>>
>> Presumably (?)  I will need a third line something like this:
>>
>> setthetextColoroffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextColoroffld
>> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>>
>> indeed, that is what I am about to try.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

> Which did NOT work.
>
> textStyle (?)
>
> R.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
setthehtmlTextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothehtmlTextoffld
"fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"

I'm feeling a bit stupid.

Richmond.

On 7/2/17 8:02 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Which did NOT work either . . . .
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 7/2/17 8:00 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>

>> On 7/2/17 7:56 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>> The problem is quite different: and this only became clear when I
>>> tested your script inwith my Devawriter Pro
>>> and outwith it in a simpler stack.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the text that becomes colourised is then moved
>>> intil another field, and then is exported from
>>> that field; during the movement from the first field to the second
>>> one its styling is lost:
>>>
>>> setthetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextoffld "fRESULT"
>>> ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>>>
>>> setthetextSizeoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextSizeoffld
>>> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>>>
>>> Presumably (?)  I will need a third line something like this:
>>>
>>> setthetextColoroffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextColoroffld
>>> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>>>
>>> indeed, that is what I am about to try.
>>>
>>> Richmond.
>>>

>> Which did NOT work.
>>
>> textStyle (?)
>>
>> R.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Use the htmltext instead of the (plain) text:

set the htmltext of fld x to the htmltext of fld y

The rtftext would work too, both carry styling and text size info. Using
plain text is just that, it is text without any style information.

On July 2, 2017 11:58:26 AM Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is quite different: and this only became clear when I tested
> your script inwith my Devawriter Pro
> and outwith it in a simpler stack.
>
> The problem is that the text that becomes colourised is then moved intil
> another field, and then is exported from
> that field; during the movement from the first field to the second one
> its styling is lost:
>
> setthetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextoffld "fRESULT" ofcard
> "DEVANAGARI"
>
> setthetextSizeoffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextSizeoffld
> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>
> Presumably (?)  I will need a third line something like this:
>
> setthetextColoroffld "fRESULT" ofcard "ATTIC" tothetextColoroffld
> "fRESULT" ofcard "DEVANAGARI"
>
> indeed, that is what I am about to try.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 7/2/17 6:24 pm, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode wrote:
>> How are you trying to export the text? Works alright here with Indy 8.1.4
>> and MacOS 10.13.
>> Sample script that works for me:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>
>>    ask file "Give your file a name:”
>>
>>    put "file:" & it into tURL
>>
>>    if char - 1 to -4 of tURL <> ".rtf" then
>>
>>      put ".rtf" after tURL
>>
>>    end if
>>
>>    put rtfText of field 1 into url tURL
>>
>> end mouseUp
>>

>> Regards
>> Tore Nilsen
>>
>>> 2. jul. 2017 kl. 16:37 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I like blue cheese . . .
>>>
>>> But I don't like what happens when I try to export coloured text from
>>> a field in LC 8.1.4 as the _colours_ are NOT exported.
>>>
>>> This is ODD as a while back the colours were exporting . . . .
>>>
>>> Mac OS 10.7.8,  LC 8.1.4 Indy.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Exporting coloured text to HTML and RTF from 8.1.4

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I think I "beat" you by about half a minute.

Thank you for the advice.

Best, Richmond.