Exporting vector images

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
I know this is an old chestnut, but . . .

Considering one can make and manipulate vectorised objects insode
Livecode I don't quite see why one should not be able to export vector
images.

I have a lot of people badgering me about exporting vector images of
(Sanskrit)
text just now.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

slylabs13
What would REALLY be nice is to be able to use REAL vector based icons or import eps for our buttons so that scaling an app would not make everything look cheesy.

Bob


On Aug 10, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> I know this is an old chestnut, but . . .
>
> Considering one can make and manipulate vectorised objects insode
> Livecode I don't quite see why one should not be able to export vector images.
>
> I have a lot of people badgering me about exporting vector images of (Sanskrit)
> text just now.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Alejandro Tejada
In reply to this post by Richmond Mathewson-2
Hi Richmond,

Download this:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/export_vector_graphics_v04.zip

Have a nice Day! :-D

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/10/2011 07:41 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> Download this:
>
> http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/export_vector_graphics_v04.zip
>
> Have a nice Day! :-D
>
> Al
>
>
Wow! And Thank You 50 thousand times!  Richmond.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
On 08/10/2011 07:41 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> Download this:
>
> http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/export_vector_graphics_v04.zip
>
> Have a nice Day! :-D
>
>
BUT . . .

This super stack exports Vector graphics as vector graphics
(wow, that sounds a bit circular), and as such is wonderful.

WHAT IT DOESN'T DO is:
Export TEXT from a textField as Vectors . . . expecting too much, I am .
. .  :)

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Richmond,

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote
This super stack exports Vector graphics as vector graphics
(wow, that sounds a bit circular), and as such is wonderful.

WHAT IT DOESN'T DO is:
Export TEXT from a textField as Vectors . . . expecting too much, I am .
. .  :)
Exporting text fields as vectors would require
some external (to read the font vector information)
or recreate the text in another group/card/stack,
using only vector graphics (from the Devawriter TTF font)

If you send me the vector graphics, I could experiment
with this, to test how feasible it is.

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

slylabs13
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=50004&lngWId=1

Bob

On Aug 12, 2011, at 9:12 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
>
> Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote:
>>
>> This super stack exports Vector graphics as vector graphics
>> (wow, that sounds a bit circular), and as such is wonderful.
>>
>> WHAT IT DOESN'T DO is:
>> Export TEXT from a textField as Vectors . . . expecting too much, I am .
>> . .  :)
>>
>
> Exporting text fields as vectors would require
> some external (to read the font vector information)
> or recreate the text in another group/card/stack,
> using only vector graphics (from the Devawriter TTF font)
>
> If you send me the vector graphics, I could experiment
> with this, to test how feasible it is.
>
> Al
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Exporting-vector-images-tp3733066p3740872.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

slylabs13
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
I should mention that Microsoft plans to end support for Visual Basic scripting soon, so if you have access to an XP machine, I suggest converting all the glyphs yourself and storing them in a folder in your project. Then it may be possible to use the previous stack supplied as the means to convert the vector to a bitmap and present it to your user.

I am not sure how complex the language is that you are using, so maybe this method would not work. I would hate to have to do this for Mandarin!!

Bob



http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=50004&lngWId=1

Bob

On Aug 12, 2011, at 9:12 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
>
> Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote:
>>
>> This super stack exports Vector graphics as vector graphics
>> (wow, that sounds a bit circular), and as such is wonderful.
>>
>> WHAT IT DOESN'T DO is:
>> Export TEXT from a textField as Vectors . . . expecting too much, I am .
>> . .  :)
>>
>
> Exporting text fields as vectors would require
> some external (to read the font vector information)
> or recreate the text in another group/card/stack,
> using only vector graphics (from the Devawriter TTF font)
>
> If you send me the vector graphics, I could experiment
> with this, to test how feasible it is.
>
> Al
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Exporting-vector-images-tp3733066p3740872.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by slylabs13
On 08/15/2011 07:07 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=50004&lngWId=1
>
> Bob
>
>

Oh, dear, HARAM, TABOO, SHIBBOLETH, Visual Basic . . .  :(

Especially on Mac and Linux.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by slylabs13
On 08/15/2011 07:13 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I should mention that Microsoft plans to end support for Visual Basic scripting soon, so if you have access to an XP machine, I suggest converting all the glyphs yourself and storing them in a folder in your project. Then it may be possible to use the previous stack supplied as the means to convert the vector to a bitmap and present it to your user.
>
> I am not sure how complex the language is that you are using, so maybe this method would not work. I would hate to have to do this for Mandarin!!
>
> Bob
>

Frankly it is not worth the candle.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by slylabs13
As far as I remember Fontographer (I own the Mac Classic version!!!!!)
is quite capable of exporting glyphs as some sort of vector file . . .

. . . wait a minute while I turn on my Mac . .  fire up the Classic
environment . . . and so on . . .

Ar, har, har . . . It can export chars as EPS documents which Inkscape
(and, one assumes, Illustrator) ca cope with.

HOWEVER; I am bu**ered if I am going to have an app with an accompanying
directory full of, say, 5,000 EPS files; that is real monkey business.

What is neede3d is a way to export the contents of a textField as a
single EPS/SVG file.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

slylabs13
Short of writing one in C, I am not sure how you are going to do that.

Bob


On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> As far as I remember Fontographer (I own the Mac Classic version!!!!!) is quite capable of exporting glyphs as some sort of vector file . . .
>
> . . . wait a minute while I turn on my Mac . .  fire up the Classic environment . . . and so on . . .
>
> Ar, har, har . . . It can export chars as EPS documents which Inkscape (and, one assumes, Illustrator) ca cope with.
>
> HOWEVER; I am bu**ered if I am going to have an app with an accompanying directory full of, say, 5,000 EPS files; that is real monkey business.
>
> What is neede3d is a way to export the contents of a textField as a single EPS/SVG file.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/15/2011 09:19 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Short of writing one in C, I am not sure how you are going to do that.
>
> Bob
>
>
> On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
>> As far as I remember Fontographer (I own the Mac Classic version!!!!!) is quite capable of exporting glyphs as some sort of vector file . . .
>>
>> . . . wait a minute while I turn on my Mac . .  fire up the Classic environment . . . and so on . . .
>>
>> Ar, har, har . . . It can export chars as EPS documents which Inkscape (and, one assumes, Illustrator) ca cope with.

Subsequently found that Inkscape cannot open the EPS files exported by
Fontographer 4.7 . . bu**er!

Fontlab Studio can, similarly, export EPS files; but as Inkscape doesn't
'DO' EPS files that's not much cop.

Of course RunRev 2.2.1 has an import EPS facility, which is,
mysteriously enough, inaccessible.

>>
>> HOWEVER; I am bu**ered if I am going to have an app with an accompanying directory full of, say, 5,000 EPS files; that is real monkey business.
>>
>> What is neede3d is a way to export the contents of a textField as a single EPS/SVG file.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

slylabs13
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that RunRev was approached by Adobe and asked to "pony up" some exorbitant sum in order to continue to work with EPS, which offer was refused. But I am only surmising, as removing working functionality from an application is not typically something anyone would do without being forced to in some way.

It interests me because I would like in an app I am developing to be able to import vector art of building floor plans, and then provide an interface to the user to create "hot spots" that when clicked on ran off and did things in Livecode. But that functionality is waaaay down the road for me at this point.

Bob


On Aug 15, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Of course RunRev 2.2.1 has an import EPS facility, which is, mysteriously enough, inaccessible.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/15/2011 10:38 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> I am going to go out on a limb here and say that RunRev was approached by Adobe and asked to "pony up" some exorbitant sum in order to continue to work with EPS, which offer was refused. But I am only surmising, as removing working functionality from an application is not typically something anyone would do without being forced to in some way.
>
> It interests me because I would like in an app I am developing to be able to import vector art of building floor plans, and then provide an interface to the user to create "hot spots" that when clicked on ran off and did things in Livecode. But that functionality is waaaay down the road for me at this point.
>
> Bob
>
>
> On Aug 15, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
>> Of course RunRev 2.2.1 has an import EPS facility, which is, mysteriously enough, inaccessible.

I have been trying EPS imports with Metacard; right back from the newest
version to Mac Classic 2.5 and everytime this crashes the app; so,
obviously was causing lots of trouble.

>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Exporting vector images

John Dixon
In reply to this post by slylabs13




> From: [hidden email]

> I am going to go out on a limb here and say that RunRev was approached by Adobe and asked to "pony up" some exorbitant sum in order to continue to work with EPS, which offer was refused. But I am only surmising, as removing working functionality from an application is not typically something anyone would do without being forced to in some way.

> Bob

If an American was condemned to confine his activity to his own affairs, he would be robbed of one half of his existence.  ~Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835    
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by slylabs13
If you are feeling really warped you can download the Mac version of
Metecard 2.2.5 from Tucows: this requires Mac OS 9 or less.

This will allow you to import EPS images; they will be invisible in the
MC stack.

Save the stack and open in Livecode; you can then access the EPS file;
although all its pictorial data seems to have gone west (well, at least
with font chars exported from Fontographer 4.7 Mac Classic).

Why am I bothering to write this; only because I've been daft enough to
try it . . .  :)

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

slylabs13
In reply to this post by John Dixon
And the only posters to this list would be from the UK, Asia, South America or Africa (did I miss anyone?) :-)

Bob

On Aug 15, 2011, at 12:57 PM, John Dixon wrote:

> If an American was condemned to confine his activity to his own affairs, he would be robbed of one half of his existence.  ~Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

J. Landman Gay
In reply to this post by Richmond Mathewson-2
On 8/15/11 3:04 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> If you are feeling really warped you can download the Mac version of
> Metecard 2.2.5 from Tucows: this requires Mac OS 9 or less.
>
> This will allow you to import EPS images; they will be invisible in the
> MC stack.
>
> Save the stack and open in Livecode; you can then access the EPS file;
> although all its pictorial data seems to have gone west (well, at least
> with font chars exported from Fontographer 4.7 Mac Classic).
>
> Why am I bothering to write this; only because I've been daft enough to
> try it . . . :)

If I remember right, EPS was intended for 'nix only, and only in
MetaCard, and only for very early versions of both. I didn't know it
ever worked at all on Macs.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting vector images

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/15/2011 11:14 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 8/15/11 3:04 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>> If you are feeling really warped you can download the Mac version of
>> Metecard 2.2.5 from Tucows: this requires Mac OS 9 or less.
>>
>> This will allow you to import EPS images; they will be invisible in the
>> MC stack.
>>
>> Save the stack and open in Livecode; you can then access the EPS file;
>> although all its pictorial data seems to have gone west (well, at least
>> with font chars exported from Fontographer 4.7 Mac Classic).
>>
>> Why am I bothering to write this; only because I've been daft enough to
>> try it . . . :)
>
> If I remember right, EPS was intended for 'nix only, and only in
> MetaCard, and only for very early versions of both. I didn't know it
> ever worked at all on Macs.
>

Why, exactly, was that possibility dropped?


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
12