Quantcast

FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Hi,

i need to upload files with non-ascii characters in the filename and this has to work on Win and Mac OS X.

My script works fine when uploading files with ascii filenames, but as soon as i select a file with non-ascii characters in its filename i get an error

What do i have to do with the filenames/filepath (target and source) before doing the upload?

My script looks like this:

answer tFile "select file..."
if it is empty then exit to top
put it into tFilePath
replace backslash with slash in tFilePath
set the itemdelimiter to slash
put item -1 of tFilePath into tFile
replace " " with "_" in tFile
put "ftp://username:[hidden email]/ <ftp://username:[hidden email]/>"& tFile into tURL
liburlftpupload tFilePath,tURL

I´ve tried to urlencode tDatei.

I am pretty sure there is something more.

Regards,

Matthias

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Hi

First I am not sure why your code replaces spaces with underscores in tFile.

Next I have an application that displays lists of filenames in a folder.  The user clicks on a filename and it is displayed in a browser object on the card.  In order to get this to work I had to convert the displayed and selected file name to one that the OS actually uses at a lower level by using these lines of code:

put GetSourcefolder() & "/" & tFilename into tMyFilePath

replace " " with "%20" in tMyFilePath

replace "|" with "%7C" in tMyFilePath

I make no claims that the problem is restricted to these two characters but this might be a starting point.  Also different OS’s have different rules on the characters used in file names, so you need to account for the OS the server is running and google for character substitutions used in file names.

Skids

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 08:23, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i need to upload files with non-ascii characters in the filename and this has to work on Win and Mac OS X.
>
> My script works fine when uploading files with ascii filenames, but as soon as i select a file with non-ascii characters in its filename i get an error
>
> What do i have to do with the filenames/filepath (target and source) before doing the upload?
>
> My script looks like this:
>
> answer tFile "select file..."
> if it is empty then exit to top
> put it into tFilePath
> replace backslash with slash in tFilePath
> set the itemdelimiter to slash
> put item -1 of tFilePath into tFile
> replace " " with "_" in tFile
> put "ftp://username:[hidden email]/ <ftp://username:[hidden email]/>"& tFile into tURL
> liburlftpupload tFilePath,tURL
>
> I´ve tried to urlencode tDatei.
>

> I am pretty sure there is something more.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Thanks Simon, but this does not fix the problem.
> Am 28.02.2017 um 10:59 schrieb Simon Knight via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi
>
> First I am not sure why your code replaces spaces with underscores in tFile.

Because i do not like spaces in URLs. I know, that i could replace it with %20, but i prefer “_” instead.

Regards,
Matthias

> Next I have an application that displays lists of filenames in a folder.  The user clicks on a filename and it is displayed in a browser object on the card.  In order to get this to work I had to convert the displayed and selected file name to one that the OS actually uses at a lower level by using these lines of code:
>
> put GetSourcefolder() & "/" & tFilename into tMyFilePath
>
> replace " " with "%20" in tMyFilePath
>
> replace "|" with "%7C" in tMyFilePath
>

> I make no claims that the problem is restricted to these two characters but this might be a starting point.  Also different OS’s have different rules on the characters used in file names, so you need to account for the OS the server is running and google for character substitutions used in file names.
>
> Skids
>

>> On 28 Feb 2017, at 08:23, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i need to upload files with non-ascii characters in the filename and this has to work on Win and Mac OS X.
>>
>> My script works fine when uploading files with ascii filenames, but as soon as i select a file with non-ascii characters in its filename i get an error
>>
>> What do i have to do with the filenames/filepath (target and source) before doing the upload?
>>
>> My script looks like this:
>>
>> answer tFile "select file..."
>> if it is empty then exit to top
>> put it into tFilePath
>> replace backslash with slash in tFilePath
>> set the itemdelimiter to slash
>> put item -1 of tFilePath into tFile
>> replace " " with "_" in tFile
>> put "ftp://username:[hidden email]/ <ftp://username:[hidden email]/> <ftp://username:[hidden email]/ <ftp://username:[hidden email]/>>"& tFile into tURL
>> liburlftpupload tFilePath,tURL
>>
>> I´ve tried to urlencode tDatei.
>>

>> I am pretty sure there is something more.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 4:07 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because i do not like spaces in URLs. I know, that i could replace it with
> %20, but i prefer “_” instead.

I live by the adage that *any* punctuation in a filename other than space
or underscore is borrowing trouble.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Is the need because the files already exist, or is it because you cannot control the source of the files? If possible, the files should probably be renamed on the other end to make them "compatible" with all file systems. If not, then maybe urlEncode/urlDecode or the ISO functions may work for you.

Bob S

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 24:23 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i need to upload files with non-ascii characters in the filename and this has to work on Win and Mac OS X.
>
> <snip>
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode

> Am 28.02.2017 um 16:36 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Is the need because the files already exist, or is it because you cannot control the source of the files? If possible, the files should probably be renamed on the other end to make them "compatible" with all file systems. If not, then maybe urlEncode/urlDecode or the ISO functions may work for you.

Thanks Bob. That´s what i am doing right now.

As i cannot guarantee that my customer won´t use such filenames, i will implement a function that removes and replaces all characters that are non-ascii.

Although, i am wondering how ftp clients like transmit are able to handle such non-ascii characters. Anyway.

Regards,

Matthias

> Bob S
>

>> On Feb 28, 2017, at 24:23 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i need to upload files with non-ascii characters in the filename and this has to work on Win and Mac OS X.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Maybe textDecode(filename) would work.

On February 28, 2017 10:01:47 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Am 28.02.2017 um 16:36 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Is the need because the files already exist, or is it because you cannot
>> control the source of the files? If possible, the files should probably be
>> renamed on the other end to make them "compatible" with all file systems.
>> If not, then maybe urlEncode/urlDecode or the ISO functions may work for you.
>>

> Thanks Bob. That´s what i am doing right now.
>
> As i cannot guarantee that my customer won´t use such filenames, i will
> implement a function that removes and replaces all characters that are
> non-ascii.
>
> Although, i am wondering how ftp clients like transmit are able to handle
> such non-ascii characters. Anyway.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Feb 28, 2017, at 24:23 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i need to upload files with non-ascii characters in the filename and this
>>> has to work on Win and Mac OS X.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Matthias

> Matthias Rebbe
> Bramkampsieke 13
> 32312 Lübbecke
> Tel +49 5741 310000
>     +49 160 5504462
> Fax: +49 5741 310002
> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode

It seems it´s not a problem with non-ascii in general.

If i first put the content of the file, which i want to upload and which contains non-ascii chars in its filename,
into a variable and urlencode the filename of the target file, then i am able to upload the file using "liburlftpupload tData, tTargetURL" without problems.

But if i use "liburlftpfileupload tSourceFilePath, tTargetURL” to upload the same file using source file path and target URL, then i get an error.
It works with files wihtout non-ascii chars in their filenames.

Is it possible that there is a problem with libURL and non-ascii filenames?

Regards,
Matthias

> Am 28.02.2017 um 17:14 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Maybe textDecode(filename) would work.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>
>

> On February 28, 2017 10:01:47 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>>> Am 28.02.2017 um 16:36 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:
>>>
>>> Is the need because the files already exist, or is it because you cannot control the source of the files? If possible, the files should probably be renamed on the other end to make them "compatible" with all file systems. If not, then maybe urlEncode/urlDecode or the ISO functions may work for you.
>>>

>> Thanks Bob. That´s what i am doing right now.
>>
>> As i cannot guarantee that my customer won´t use such filenames, i will implement a function that removes and replaces all characters that are non-ascii.
>>
>> Although, i am wondering how ftp clients like transmit are able to handle such non-ascii characters. Anyway.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>>> Bob S

>> Matthias Rebbe
>> Bramkampsieke 13
>> 32312 Lübbecke
>> Tel +49 5741 310000
>>     +49 160 5504462
>> Fax: +49 5741 310002
>> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>>

Re: FTP file upload with non-ascii characters in filename

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
My problem is solved now.

I found out that
1. it works w/o problems under Windows
2. it works under Mac OS X if i unload/disable tsNET

So i contacted Charles Warwick. This is his answer
—>
"OS X / Linux filesystems are all UTF-8, so you need to convert the filename to UTF-8 format before calling libUrlFtpUploadFile.
Try changing the end of your mouseUp handler to look like this:

        libURLSetStatusCallback "uploadProgress", the long ID of me
        put textencode(tSourceFile, "UTF-8") into tSourceFile
        liburlftpuploadfile tSourceFile,tURL ,”uploadComplete"

Let me know if that resolves your issue or not.  It seemed to fix the issue on my Mac.
If it does - since this seems to only be an issue with tsNet loaded - I will modify the libUrl wrapper for tsNet so it automatically does that conversion on those platforms in the next LC version to keep compatibility with those not using tsNet.”
<—

I´ve added now a switch that  textencodes the source file if the OS is MacOS or Linux. And now it works perfectly.

I know, i know...
Jacqueline already suggested to use textEncode. I did, but for the target file. ;)
I´ve never  have assumed that i have to do it with the source file.

Regards,

Matthias