Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

After entirely to many hours of research trying to get a reference location
for scripting simple field calculations, and also testing scripts I need
some veteran help.

I am a database developer so I am new to LiveCode. I used the dictionary
trying to do the following but the Hypertalk script approach is not clear.

I simply want to take one field and use a math operator to say add two
fields together and put the result into a third field.

Example: Loan amount + loan fees = Sum amount of loan

I might want to add 3 fields together and then subtract a different field
from the sum of the 3 fields.

Or take a loan percentage * the Loan amount to get the amount of interest

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062
Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41

Re: Field calculations

mwieder
Vaughn-

Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:26:12 AM, you wrote:

> I am a database developer so I am new to LiveCode. I used the dictionary
> trying to do the following but the Hypertalk script approach is not clear.

Not a problem. Basically you've already written the code by describing
it in pseudocode:

> I simply want to take one field and use a math operator to say add two
> fields together and put the result into a third field.

> Example: Loan amount + loan fees = Sum amount of loan

put field "loan amount" + field "loan fees" into field "sum"

> I might want to add 3 fields together and then subtract a different field
> from the sum of the 3 fields.

put field 1 + field 2 + field 3 - field 4 into total

> Or take a loan percentage * the Loan amount to get the amount of interest

put tLoanPercentage * tLoanAmount into tInterestAmount

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

RE: Field calculations

Jim MacConnell
Ooooo. One I can help with.

Simplest approach:
Put a script similar to this in a button:
put field "Field 1" + field "Field 2" into field "Field 3
or
put field "Loan Percentage" * field "Loan Amount" into field "Interest"

A little cooler:
Set the script of "Field 1" and "Field 2" to the following and then when an
entry is changed it will automatically update
on closeField
    put field "Field 1" + field "Field 2" into field "Field 3"
end closeField

More generally create a script to do all the math and call it from the
fields. That way everything will always be current.

Jim

Re: Field calculations

xtalkprogrammer
Vaughn,

put fld 1 + fld 2 into fld 3
put fld "bla" + fld "foo" into fld "bar"
etc.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

http://qery.us/3fi

Fill out this survey please
http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/

On 9/11/2013 19:26, Vaughn Clement wrote:

> Hi All
>
> After entirely to many hours of research trying to get a reference location
> for scripting simple field calculations, and also testing scripts I need
> some veteran help.
>
> I am a database developer so I am new to LiveCode. I used the dictionary
> trying to do the following but the Hypertalk script approach is not clear.
>
> I simply want to take one field and use a math operator to say add two
> fields together and put the result into a third field.
>
> Example: Loan amount + loan fees = Sum amount of loan
>
> I might want to add 3 fields together and then subtract a different field
> from the sum of the 3 fields.
>
> Or take a loan percentage * the Loan amount to get the amount of interest
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

You would think that I should have done it much like your examples, but
there are wrong ways and right ways and without any examples I was getting
nowhere. I will use your approach and see if it works.

Thank you for taking the time to help me...

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Jim MacConnell <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Ooooo. One I can help with.
>
> Simplest approach:
> Put a script similar to this in a button:
> put field "Field 1" + field "Field 2" into field "Field 3
> or
> put field "Loan Percentage" * field "Loan Amount" into field "Interest"
>
> A little cooler:
> Set the script of "Field 1" and "Field 2" to the following and then when an
> entry is changed it will automatically update
> on closeField
>     put field "Field 1" + field "Field 2" into field "Field 3"
> end closeField
>
> More generally create a script to do all the math and call it from the
> fields. That way everything will always be current.
>
> Jim

Hi Mark

I purchased your book and I am waiting for it to arrive. I need it just for
the reason you see here.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062
Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Mark Schonewille <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vaughn,
>
> put fld 1 + fld 2 into fld 3
> put fld "bla" + fld "foo" into fld "bar"
> etc.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour
> spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>
> Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
> http://qery.us/3fi
>
> Fill out this survey please
> http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
>

> On 9/11/2013 19:26, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> After entirely to many hours of research trying to get a reference
>> location
>> for scripting simple field calculations, and also testing scripts I need
>> some veteran help.
>>
>> I am a database developer so I am new to LiveCode. I used the dictionary
>> trying to do the following but the Hypertalk script approach is not clear.
>>
>> I simply want to take one field and use a math operator to say add two
>> fields together and put the result into a third field.
>>
>> Example: Loan amount + loan fees = Sum amount of loan
>>
>> I might want to add 3 fields together and then subtract a different field
>> from the sum of the 3 fields.
>>
>> Or take a loan percentage * the Loan amount to get the amount of interest
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Vaughn Clement

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi Mark

I tried your script and it does not work? Your script did not designate if
it is in a card, button or field. I put it the card then the field and it
did not work in either of them?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Vaughn-
>
> Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:26:12 AM, you wrote:
>
> > I am a database developer so I am new to LiveCode. I used the dictionary
> > trying to do the following but the Hypertalk script approach is not
> clear.
>
> Not a problem. Basically you've already written the code by describing
> it in pseudocode:
>
> > I simply want to take one field and use a math operator to say add two
> > fields together and put the result into a third field.
>
> > Example: Loan amount + loan fees = Sum amount of loan
>
> put field "loan amount" + field "loan fees" into field "sum"
>
> > I might want to add 3 fields together and then subtract a different field
> > from the sum of the 3 fields.
>
> put field 1 + field 2 + field 3 - field 4 into total
>
> > Or take a loan percentage * the Loan amount to get the amount of interest
>
> put tLoanPercentage * tLoanAmount into tInterestAmount
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Field calculations

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Vaughn,

When you write "it doesn't work", it is useful to include any errors
that you see and the exact code that you used. For instance, did you put
my syntax in a mouseUp or any other handler and are you sure you are
using correct field references?

--

On 9/11/2013 21:32, Vaughn Clement wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> I purchased your book and I am waiting for it to arrive. I need it just for
> the reason you see here.
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Field calculations

Andrew Kluthe-2
Once you have fields on your card, you need a way to execute the script the
various Marks were referring to.

I'd say your best bet for this test would be to also add a button and put
whatever script you have for adding the fields into that.

Alternatively, you can place a handler in the card and call it from a
button or call it during opening of the card or you could place it in the
fields and call it when the text changes in the of the fields.

All sorts of options here.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Mark Schonewille <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vaughn,
>
> When you write "it doesn't work", it is useful to include any errors that
> you see and the exact code that you used. For instance, did you put my
> syntax in a mouseUp or any other handler and are you sure you are using
> correct field references?
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
>
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour
> spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>
> Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
> http://qery.us/3fi
>
> Fill out this survey please
> http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
>

> On 9/11/2013 21:32, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark
>>
>> I purchased your book and I am waiting for it to arrive. I need it just
>> for
>> the reason you see here.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Vaughn Clement

Andrew Kluthe

Re: Field calculations

Geoff Canyon-4
If you mean, "I changed the value in the loan percentage field, but nothing
happened," then check what Jim wrote above about the closeField message.
Whenever you change the value in a field, as soon as you click someplace
else the field gets a closefield message, and if the field (or the card the
field is on, or the stack the card is in) has a script like this:

on closeField
   answer "You changed something."
end closeField

then you'll get a dialog. From there you just need to get rid of the answer
command I used and put what you really want to have happen there.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mark
>
> I tried your script and it does not work? Your script did not designate if
> it is in a card, button or field. I put it the card then the field and it
> did not work in either of them?
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062
> Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
> https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Vaughn-
> >
> > Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:26:12 AM, you wrote:
> >
> > > I am a database developer so I am new to LiveCode. I used the
> dictionary
> > > trying to do the following but the Hypertalk script approach is not
> > clear.
> >
> > Not a problem. Basically you've already written the code by describing
> > it in pseudocode:
> >
> > > I simply want to take one field and use a math operator to say add two
> > > fields together and put the result into a third field.
> >
> > > Example: Loan amount + loan fees = Sum amount of loan
> >
> > put field "loan amount" + field "loan fees" into field "sum"
> >
> > > I might want to add 3 fields together and then subtract a different
> field
> > > from the sum of the 3 fields.
> >
> > put field 1 + field 2 + field 3 - field 4 into total
> >
> > > Or take a loan percentage * the Loan amount to get the amount of
> interest
> >
> > put tLoanPercentage * tLoanAmount into tInterestAmount
> >
> > --
> > -Mark Wieder
> >  [hidden email]

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

What I did was to build a new stack and added 3 fields and a button. I
added field 1 to field 2 and put the sum into field 3 and it works fine.
SO, why would it not work in the design app? is there some setting or
something to make it work or not work?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Andrew Kluthe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once you have fields on your card, you need a way to execute the script the
> various Marks were referring to.
>
> I'd say your best bet for this test would be to also add a button and put
> whatever script you have for adding the fields into that.
>
> Alternatively, you can place a handler in the card and call it from a
> button or call it during opening of the card or you could place it in the
> fields and call it when the text changes in the of the fields.
>
> All sorts of options here.
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Mark Schonewille <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vaughn,
> >
> > When you write "it doesn't work", it is useful to include any errors that
> > you see and the exact code that you used. For instance, did you put my
> > syntax in a mouseUp or any other handler and are you sure you are using
> > correct field references?
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Mark Schonewille
> >
> > Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
> > Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<
> http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
> >
> > KvK: 50277553
> >
> > Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other
> colour
> > spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
> >
> > Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
> > http://qery.us/3fi
> >
> > Fill out this survey please
> > http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<
> http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
> >

> > On 9/11/2013 21:32, Vaughn Clement wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Mark
> >>
> >> I purchased your book and I am waiting for it to arrive. I need it just
> >> for
> >> the reason you see here.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Vaughn Clement

> Regards,
>
> Andrew Kluthe

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi Geoff

It made sense to test on a new blank stack and it worked there, so now I
need to find out why the app I am working on is having errors.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you mean, "I changed the value in the loan percentage field, but nothing
> happened," then check what Jim wrote above about the closeField message.
> Whenever you change the value in a field, as soon as you click someplace
> else the field gets a closefield message, and if the field (or the card the
> field is on, or the stack the card is in) has a script like this:
>
> on closeField
>    answer "You changed something."
> end closeField
>
> then you'll get a dialog. From there you just need to get rid of the answer
> command I used and put what you really want to have happen there.
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark
> >
> > I tried your script and it does not work? Your script did not designate
> if
> > it is in a card, button or field. I put it the card then the field and it
> > did not work in either of them?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Vaughn Clement
> >
> > Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> > *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
> > Skype: vaughn.clement
> > https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> > FaceTime: [hidden email]
> > LogMeIn also avaialble
> > Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> > Ph. 928-254-9062
> > Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
> > https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Vaughn-

> > dictionary
> > > clear.
> > >
> > > Not a problem. Basically you've already written the code by describing
> > > it in pseudocode:

> two

> > > put field "loan amount" + field "loan fees" into field "sum"

> > field
> > >
> > > put field 1 + field 2 + field 3 - field 4 into total

> > interest
> > >
> > > put tLoanPercentage * tLoanAmount into tInterestAmount
> > >
> > > --
> > > -Mark Wieder
> > >  [hidden email]

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

 Have you ever had a problem where the won't calc. I changed the field
names to 1 word each to make it easy for the calc? That did not fix it. I
put it in a button, didn't work. Changed back to an on Closefield script
and it does not work. JUST STUPID LC! This app has several calculations and
I can't get the first one to work!

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Geoff
>
> It made sense to test on a new blank stack and it worked there, so now I
> need to find out why the app I am working on is having errors.
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062
> Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
> https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you mean, "I changed the value in the loan percentage field, but
>> nothing
>> happened," then check what Jim wrote above about the closeField message.
>> Whenever you change the value in a field, as soon as you click someplace
>> else the field gets a closefield message, and if the field (or the card
>> the
>> field is on, or the stack the card is in) has a script like this:
>>
>> on closeField
>>    answer "You changed something."
>> end closeField
>>
>> then you'll get a dialog. From there you just need to get rid of the
>> answer
>> command I used and put what you really want to have happen there.
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Mark
>> >
>> > I tried your script and it does not work? Your script did not designate
>> if
>> > it is in a card, button or field. I put it the card then the field and
>> it
>> > did not work in either of them?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Vaughn Clement
>> >
>> > Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
>> > *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
>> > Skype: vaughn.clement
>> > https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
>> > FaceTime: [hidden email]
>> > LogMeIn also avaialble
>> > Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
>> > Ph. 928-254-9062
>> > Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
>> > https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41
>> >

>> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]

>> > dictionary

>> two

>> > field

>> > interest

Re: Field calculations

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Vaughn,

As I wrote before, "not work" isn't that much information. Can you say
more about it?

--

On 9/12/2013 00:33, Vaughn Clement wrote:

> Hi All
>
> What I did was to build a new stack and added 3 fields and a button. I
> added field 1 to field 2 and put the sum into field 3 and it works fine.
> SO, why would it not work in the design app? is there some setting or
> something to make it work or not work?
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Field calculations

xtalkprogrammer
Vaughn,

It is really time to post your scripts now.

--

On 9/12/2013 01:11, Vaughn Clement wrote:

> Hi All
>
>   Have you ever had a problem where the won't calc. I changed the field
> names to 1 word each to make it easy for the calc? That did not fix it. I
> put it in a button, didn't work. Changed back to an on Closefield script
> and it does not work. JUST STUPID LC! This app has several calculations and
> I can't get the first one to work!
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi Mark

I kept changing things until it worked. I had to make the button script
with only one mouseUp script and nothing else and it worked. I had a script
to set the card id to a field in a second mouseUp script. But that was
after doing all kinds of similar scripts and it did not work.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062
Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Mark Schonewille <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vaughn,
>
> As I wrote before, "not work" isn't that much information. Can you say
> more about it?
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
>
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour
> spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>
> Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
> http://qery.us/3fi
>
> Fill out this survey please
> http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
>

> On 9/12/2013 00:33, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> What I did was to build a new stack and added 3 fields and a button. I
>> added field 1 to field 2 and put the sum into field 3 and it works fine.
>> SO, why would it not work in the design app? is there some setting or
>> something to make it work or not work?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Vaughn Clement

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

I have it working using the on closeField scripts in the 1 & 2 fields now.
LiveCode is a really hard to find just the right script format/s.

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vaughn,
>
> As I wrote before, "not work" isn't that much information. Can you say
> more about it?
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
>
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour
> spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>
> Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
> http://qery.us/3fi
>
> Fill out this survey please
> http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
>

> On 9/12/2013 00:33, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> What I did was to build a new stack and added 3 fields and a button. I
>> added field 1 to field 2 and put the sum into field 3 and it works fine.
>> SO, why would it not work in the design app? is there some setting or
>> something to make it work or not work?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Vaughn Clement

Re: Field calculations

mwieder
Vaughn-

> I kept changing things until it worked. I had to make the button script
> with only one mouseUp script and nothing else and it worked. I had a script
> to set the card id to a field in a second mouseUp script. But that was
> after doing all kinds of similar scripts and it did not work.

Ah. You can't have two mouseUp handlers in the same control. The
mouseUp handler catches the event coming from the system when the
mouse button is released on the button. If you want the mouseUp
handler to do more work, just add more code into the single handler.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Field calculations

Vaughn Clement
Hi

I tried to use "set the numberFormat to "#.00" -- dollar format" and it
stopped the calc for the fields. This is right out of the dictionary and it
does not work?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have it working using the on closeField scripts in the 1 & 2 fields now.
> LiveCode is a really hard to find just the right script format/s.
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062
> Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
> https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Mark Schonewille <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vaughn,
>>
>> As I wrote before, "not work" isn't that much information. Can you say
>> more about it?
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
>> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
>>
>> KvK: 50277553
>>
>> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other
>> colour spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>>
>> Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
>> http://qery.us/3fi
>>
>> Fill out this survey please
>> http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
>>

>> On 9/12/2013 00:33, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> What I did was to build a new stack and added 3 fields and a button. I
>>> added field 1 to field 2 and put the sum into field 3 and it works fine.
>>> SO, why would it not work in the design app? is there some setting or
>>> something to make it work or not work?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Vaughn Clement

Re: Field calculations

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Vaughn,

If you have multiple handlers with equal names in a script, only the
first handler will run. That mus be why your own handler didn't work.

Also, if you have a mouseUp handler in a button and a mouseUp handler at
card level, you need a pass mouseUp command in the button to make the
script at card level run:

on mouseUp
   beep
   pass moueUp --> go to cd level
end moueUp

You'll read all about it in my book very soon :-)

--

On 9/12/2013 01:30, Vaughn Clement wrote:

> Hi Mark
>
> I kept changing things until it worked. I had to make the button script
> with only one mouseUp script and nothing else and it worked. I had a script
> to set the card id to a field in a second mouseUp script. But that was
> after doing all kinds of similar scripts and it did not work.
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062
> Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
> https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Mark Schonewille <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vaughn,
>>
>> As I wrote before, "not work" isn't that much information. Can you say
>> more about it?
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
>> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/**xtalkprogrammer<http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer>
>>
>> KvK: 50277553
>>
>> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour
>> spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>>
>> Buy my new book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"
>> http://qery.us/3fi
>>
>> Fill out this survey please
>> http://livecodebeginner.**economy-x-talk.com/survey/<http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com/survey/>
>>

>> On 9/12/2013 00:33, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> What I did was to build a new stack and added 3 fields and a button. I
>>> added field 1 to field 2 and put the sum into field 3 and it works fine.
>>> SO, why would it not work in the design app? is there some setting or
>>> something to make it work or not work?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Vaughn Clement

Kind regards,