Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Malte Brill
Hi all,

is there a way to figure out how wide / heigh a scrollbar needs to be under Linux to draw all of the scrollbar, but not leaving you with empty space around it? Can this be figured out by script? It appears that under UBUNTU this would be 14 Pixels. Is there a difference between Windowmanagers?

Thanks in advance,

Malte

Re: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Jan Schenkel
Hi Malte,

I have no idea where you could get this data, so here's what I could find in LiveCode itself:
- the Dictionary entry for property 'scrollbarWidth' claims to have default values of 16 pixels for MacOS and 20 pixels on Linux/Windows
- the Data Grid applies 15 pixels on MacOS, 16 pixels on Linux, and checks the registry on Windows (with a default value of 17 pixels if it's not allowed to read the registry).
- the Tools palette applies the values set in the Preferences - Object Sizes panel.

If you ever find a way to extract gnome-control-center information on Linux via shell calls, make sure to let me know as I'd love to find the theme colors data :-)

HTH,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

 Subject: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux
 To: [hidden email]

Re: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Thierry Douez
Hi Jan,

Have you ever tried  gsettings ?     (I'm not a gnome user)

Regards,

Thierry

> If you ever find a way to extract gnome-control-center information on Linux via shell calls, make sure to let me know as I'd love to find the theme colors data :-)
> Jan Schenkel.

Re: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Warren Samples
On 01/09/2014 03:03 AM, Malte Brill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to figure out how wide / heigh a scrollbar needs to be under Linux to draw all of the scrollbar, but not leaving you with empty space around it? Can this be figured out by script? It appears that under UBUNTU this would be 14 Pixels. Is there a difference between Windowmanagers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Malte

Under KDE, scrollbar width is a user settable property. I don't know
what default is, I have it set to something narrower because, well, I
like it. I'm not sure that you can reliably determine this. It would
depend on your ability to determine the DE of the current session which
is available as a LiveCode global under some distros but not others, and
then grab the setting from a config file, if the distro/DE make it
available and you know where it is. I don't know what to say about height.

Why are you finding this desirable? Do you have some consistent display
issue you're trying to resolve one some particular distro? Are you sure
you want to be setting this in the face of what might be a (different)
user preference?

Warren

Re: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Jan Schenkel
Thank you for pointing me in that direction, Thierry.
I probably used the wrong search term last time I went looking, but I was afraid I'd have to dip down into C/C++ land and write an external.

Cheers,

Jan Schenkel.

=====

 To: "How to use LiveCode" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 3:12 AM

 Hi Jan,

2014/1/9 Jan Schenkel <[hidden email]>:

> Thank you for pointing me in that direction, Thierry.

You're welcome :)

> I probably used the wrong search term last time I went looking, but I was afraid I'd > have to dip down into C/C++ land and write an external.

Yep, certainly less work.

I've just read something about it a couple of month ago, and
strangely I did remember of that ???  :)

Regards,

Thierry

> Cheers,
>
> Jan Schenkel.

>  Hi Jan,
>
>  Have you ever tried  gsettings ?
>     (I'm not a gnome user)
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Thierry
>
>  > If you ever find a way to extract gnome-control-center
>  information on Linux via shell calls, make sure to let me
>  know as I'd love to find the theme colors data :-)
>  > Jan Schenkel.

Re: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Malte Brill
First of all… Thanks to all who replied.

@Warren: I need this for a custom control that has seperate scrollbars that are not tied to the group. I need to adjust those scrollbars to fit to the right /v bottom of that group. Dragging out a standard scrollbar was far too wide and left about 5 pixels space on the bottom / the right of the group, where contents shines through the non opaque area of the scrollbar and leaves the control looking very unprofessional (and ugly).

Best,

Malte

Re: Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Alejandro Tejada
Jan Schenkel wrote
[snip]
If you ever find a way to extract gnome-control-center information on Linux via shell calls, make sure to let me know as I'd love to find the theme colors data :-)
Could this help?
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/gnome-control-center.1.html

Al