First LC Submission to iTunes

Vaughn Clement
Hi

This is my first submission to iTunes using LiveCode after 1 year of work.

I have a few questions:

Because so many things have changed with LiveCode in the last several
months, would it be better to use iTunes Connect to setup the files for
submission to iTunes?

Do I need to add anything to my openStack script to for my 1024 x 768 iPad
screen to auto size between normal and retina screen resolutions?

Is there a LiveCode description as to the settings of the splash screen,
and the other screen captures for the LiveCode / iTunes connect
submissions? This would include the different icon sizes and resolutions?
What I am trying to find out is if there is a difference between the two
approaches?

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
<http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062

Re: First LC Submission to iTunes

Chris Sheffield-4
Vaughn,

Not sure if you’ve received a response yet or not, but here are my answers as based on my experience.

Yes, you must use iTunes Connect in order to begin the app submission process. It’s iTunes Connect that ultimately “connects” everything together. That’s where you’ll create your app, upload the large app icon (1024x1024), upload screen shots, and specify other information (pricing, description, etc.). It’s mostly self explanatory I think. Once you’ve gone through the steps and are ready to submit your actual app bundle, you use Application Loader, which is part of Xcode.

You shouldn’t need to add any extra code to your open stack script to handle multiple screen resolutions, so long as you’re using a version of LiveCode that supports auto resizing/scaling. I imagine you already are, but just double check that. If you don’t have a retina screen device to test on (I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on one, if not), at the very least you should test using the simulator. You can simulate a retina screen device by selecting the appropriate options in the Hardware menu while the simulator is running. Are you using any images in your app? If so, and you want them to look nice and crisp on the retina screen, you’ll need @2x versions of each of your images. Of course, maybe you’re going the simple route and don’t need to do any of this.

I’m sure there’s a guide somewhere for the different sizes for the splash screen, screen shots, and icon sizes, but honestly, I find them to be confusing. :-) The following should help a bit.

For iTunes Connect, screen shots either have to be 1024 x 768, or 2048 x 1536. You don’t have to submit both sizes. Lately I’ve just been submitting the larger size. I believe the app store scales them as needed. I believe you have to submit at least one screen shot.

For the splash screen, the same sizes apply, but you *must* have one at each size if you’re supporting both screen types.

For the app icon sizes, this is where it gets fun. For non-retina, pre-iOS 7 devices (if you’re supporting those) you need a 72x72 size icon. For retina, pre-iOS 7 devices (not sure why anyone would have a device like this, but I suppose it’s possible) you’ll double that, so 144x144. For non-retina iOS 7 devices (iPad 2) you need a 76x76 icon. For retina iOS 7 devices, you need 152x152. Yes, you need four different icon sizes if you’re supporting all iPads and versions of iOS. I’m sure you know, but there are places for each of these in the standalone application settings under the iOS tab. And it’ll warn you if you try to use an icon that’s not the correct size.

Hopefully that answers your questions. And hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.

Good luck,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.

On Jun 30, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is my first submission to iTunes using LiveCode after 1 year of work.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> Because so many things have changed with LiveCode in the last several
> months, would it be better to use iTunes Connect to setup the files for
> submission to iTunes?
>
> Do I need to add anything to my openStack script to for my 1024 x 768 iPad
> screen to auto size between normal and retina screen resolutions?
>
> Is there a LiveCode description as to the settings of the splash screen,
> and the other screen captures for the LiveCode / iTunes connect
> submissions? This would include the different icon sizes and resolutions?
> What I am trying to find out is if there is a difference between the two
> approaches?
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062

Re: First LC Submission to iTunes

Vaughn Clement
Hi

I am following the guidelines in this link on the Apple developer site.
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/SubmittingYourApp/SubmittingYourApp.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH9-SW1

In the LiveCode standalone setup when I select iPad and Landscape, the
selections for the setup are reduced. I noted that the Retina screens are
available to be added. I developed the app in 1024 x 768 not retina so I
have no way to obtain screens with this setting. Does Apple kick if the
retina screens are not provided? The same question is for the icons for the
app store.  Are hiRes Retina icons required?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is my first submission to iTunes using LiveCode after 1 year of work.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> Because so many things have changed with LiveCode in the last several
> months, would it be better to use iTunes Connect to setup the files for
> submission to iTunes?
>
> Do I need to add anything to my openStack script to for my 1024 x 768 iPad
> screen to auto size between normal and retina screen resolutions?
>
> Is there a LiveCode description as to the settings of the splash screen,
> and the other screen captures for the LiveCode / iTunes connect
> submissions? This would include the different icon sizes and resolutions?
> What I am trying to find out is if there is a difference between the two
> approaches?
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062

Re: First LC Submission to iTunes

Chris Sheffield-4
I’m not totally sure about all the requirements to be honest. I’m not sure if apps will be rejected if icons are missing. Does anyone else know? My company has always supported all iPad models, so I’ve just gotten use to providing everything that LiveCode has a space for.

You can still get retina screen shots. Just use the simulator. In the Hardware menu, select a retina device profile and re-launch your app. Then use Cmd-S to save a shot of whatever screens you’d like. They’ll save to your desktop and can be uploaded to iTunes Connect.

As I mentioned before, I would highly recommend testing your app in the simulator with a retina device profile selected. I guarantee you retina device users will download your app, and if it doesn’t look decent or run smoothly, it’ll cause problems. And if it’s at all possible to get your hands on a retina device to test on, do it. The simulator works “mostly” well for testing, but it’s still not the same as testing on an actual device.

On Jul 1, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am following the guidelines in this link on the Apple developer site.
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/SubmittingYourApp/SubmittingYourApp.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH9-SW1
>
> In the LiveCode standalone setup when I select iPad and Landscape, the
> selections for the setup are reduced. I noted that the Retina screens are
> available to be added. I developed the app in 1024 x 768 not retina so I
> have no way to obtain screens with this setting. Does Apple kick if the
> retina screens are not provided? The same question is for the icons for the
> app store.  Are hiRes Retina icons required?
>
> Thank you
>
> Vaughn Clement
>
> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
> Skype: vaughn.clement
> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> LogMeIn also avaialble
> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
> Ph. 928-254-9062
>

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> This is my first submission to iTunes using LiveCode after 1 year of work.
>>
>> I have a few questions:
>>
>> Because so many things have changed with LiveCode in the last several
>> months, would it be better to use iTunes Connect to setup the files for
>> submission to iTunes?
>>
>> Do I need to add anything to my openStack script to for my 1024 x 768 iPad
>> screen to auto size between normal and retina screen resolutions?
>>
>> Is there a LiveCode description as to the settings of the splash screen,
>> and the other screen captures for the LiveCode / iTunes connect
>> submissions? This would include the different icon sizes and resolutions?
>> What I am trying to find out is if there is a difference between the two
>> approaches?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Vaughn Clement
>>
>> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
>> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
>> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
>> Skype: vaughn.clement
>> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
>> FaceTime: [hidden email]
>> LogMeIn also avaialble
>> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
>> Ph. 928-254-9062

Re: First LC Submission to iTunes

Vaughn Clement
Hi Chris

Your email is very helpful and it has pointed out several things I did not
know. I recall awhile back seeing a description on how to size the icons
for retina and then to scale the icon down for non retina icons. Is it as
simple as reducing the icon to half the size or is there another way to set
the size?

The simulator screen capture is great advice for the retina display. I was
not aware that was possible.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
<http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Chris Sheffield <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> iPad
> >> screen to auto size between normal and retina screen resolutions?
> >>
> >> Is there a LiveCode description as to the settings of the splash screen,
> >> and the other screen captures for the LiveCode / iTunes connect
> >> submissions? This would include the different icon sizes and
> resolutions?
> >> What I am trying to find out is if there is a difference between the two
> >> approaches?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Vaughn Clement
> >>
> >> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> >> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
> >> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
> >> Skype: vaughn.clement
> >> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> >> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> >> LogMeIn also avaialble
> >> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062

I was able to create the 2 sets of screen shots no problem.

A question on the splash screen, in past apps i developed I don't recall
the need for a splash screen? Is this required for iTunes or from LiveCode?

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > selections for the setup are reduced. I noted that the Retina screens
>> are
>> > available to be added. I developed the app in 1024 x 768 not retina so I
>> > have no way to obtain screens with this setting. Does Apple kick if the
>> > retina screens are not provided? The same question is for the icons for
>> the
>> > app store.  Are hiRes Retina icons required?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Vaughn Clement
>> >
>> > Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
>> > *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
>> > <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
>> > Skype: vaughn.clement
>> > https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
>> > FaceTime: [hidden email]
>> > LogMeIn also avaialble
>> > Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062

Yes. I’ve found Preview to be very simple for resizing icons. Start with the larger one, open it in Preview, create a duplicate (so you’re not editing your original), then just resize to half the size via the Tools menu. Super simple. As far as quality goes, I’m not sure if other tools are better, but it gets the job done.

On Jul 1, 2014, at 9:27 AM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> In the LiveCode standalone setup when I select iPad and Landscape, the
>>> selections for the setup are reduced. I noted that the Retina screens are
>>> available to be added. I developed the app in 1024 x 768 not retina so I
>>> have no way to obtain screens with this setting. Does Apple kick if the
>>> retina screens are not provided? The same question is for the icons for
>> the
>>> app store.  Are hiRes Retina icons required?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Vaughn Clement
>>>
>>> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
>>> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
>>> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
>>> Skype: vaughn.clement
>>> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
>>> FaceTime: [hidden email]
>>> LogMeIn also avaialble
>>> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062

Again, maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain the app *will not* be rejected if a splash screen is missing. It is recommended, but not required. A splash screen is especially helpful if your app takes some time to load. Otherwise, probably not absolutely necessary. Keep in mind, however, that if it’s missing, LiveCode will give you a warning whenever you build your app (at least, it used; I’m assuming this is still the case). Sometimes just supplying a simple black splash screen image is worth it to not have to click OK on that warning every time you build.

On Jul 1, 2014, at 9:57 AM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> My company has always supported all iPad models, so I’ve just gotten use to
>>> providing everything that LiveCode has a space for.
>>>
>>> You can still get retina screen shots. Just use the simulator. In the
>>> Hardware menu, select a retina device profile and re-launch your app. Then
>>> use Cmd-S to save a shot of whatever screens you’d like. They’ll save to
>>> your desktop and can be uploaded to iTunes Connect.
>>>
>>> As I mentioned before, I would highly recommend testing your app in the
>>> simulator with a retina device profile selected. I guarantee you retina
>>> device users will download your app, and if it doesn’t look decent or run
>>> smoothly, it’ll cause problems. And if it’s at all possible to get your
>>> hands on a retina device to test on, do it. The simulator works “mostly”
>>> well for testing, but it’s still not the same as testing on an actual

I looked around Apple Developer Tech and did not find that article that
described the requirements for the Hi Res icons, but in the iTunes connect
managing application, the popup next to image stated the size and file
type. So I used the info and wala it accepted my icon.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
<http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Chris Sheffield <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> for retina and then to scale the icon down for non retina icons. Is it
> as
> >> simple as reducing the icon to half the size or is there another way to
> set
> >> the size?
> >>
> >> The simulator screen capture is great advice for the retina display. I
> was
> >> not aware that was possible.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Vaughn Clement
> >>
> >> Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
> >> *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
> >> <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
> >> Skype: vaughn.clement
> >> https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
> >> FaceTime: [hidden email]
> >> LogMeIn also avaialble
> >> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062

There is always a last minute issue "RIGHT"? From LC I created the
standalone app, and found that the Application Loader did not recognize the
file. It did not look right because it had a symbol like a no parking sign
with a circle with a line across the icon. Did I do something wrong?

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> screen image is worth it to not have to click OK on that warning every time
>> you build.
>>

>> On Jul 1, 2014, at 9:57 AM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Chris
>> >
>> > I was able to create the 2 sets of screen shots no problem.
>> >
>> > A question on the splash screen, in past apps i developed I don't recall
>> > the need for a splash screen? Is this required for iTunes or from
>> LiveCode?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Vaughn Clement
>> >
>> > Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
>> > *http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/
>> > <http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/>*
>> > Skype: vaughn.clement
>> > https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
>> > FaceTime: [hidden email]
>> > LogMeIn also avaialble
>> > Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062

PystCat
Now you need to select the file, right-click on compress it.  iTunes Connect needs to have the file compressed before it will see it.

> [...]
>> FaceTime: [hidden email]
>> LogMeIn also avaialble
>> Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
>> Ph. 928-254-9062
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Chris Sheffield <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Again, maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain
>>> the app *will not* be rejected if a splash screen is missing. It is
>>> recommended, but not required. A splash screen is especially helpful if
>>> your app takes some time to load. Otherwise, probably not absolutely
>>> necessary. Keep in mind, however, that if it’s missing, LiveCode will give
>>> you a warning whenever you build your app (at least, it used; I’m assuming
>>> this is still the case). Sometimes just supplying a simple black splash
>>> screen image is worth it to not have to click OK on that warning every time

Randy Hengst
One more thing. No spaces the the file name after compressing.