Font embedding for iOS in LC9

I've been compiling an iOS app in 8.1.x but am trying to make the jump
to 9.0dp6 for the cool new Business features like Remote Debugging.
Things seemed to be working ok until I compiled a development version
and installed it on my iPhone to find all my custom fonts were
replaced with bland defaults.

In the Standalone Settings I have an entire fonts/* folder set under
Copy Files and the exact font selected for various fields in the
Property Inspector (Roboto Condensed and Vacer Serif Bold, but
shouldn't make a difference). Fonts display correctly in LiveCode,
fonts display correctly in iOS Simulator, but fonts revert to some
default in the compiled standalone.

Nothing has changed with the files, filepaths, or font references
between the working versions compiled in LC8 and the non-working LC9
compile.

Digging around through my stack I found some old commented out code
for "start using font file tFont" but that seems to be Mac/PC
standalone code not needed for mobile. I looked in the release notes
for LC9 and the forum, but didn't see any mention to a new filepath
for fonts. Does anyone have any insight?

--Andrew Bell
--MidWest Coast Media

Re: Font embedding for iOS in LC9

On 25 Apr 2017, at 15:36, Andrew Bell via use-livecode wrote:

> Digging around through my stack I found some old commented out code
> for "start using font file tFont" but that seems to be Mac/PC
> standalone code not needed for mobile.

Not actual insight, at least in the sense of answers, but I found a way
to install fonts in iOS. They need to be base64 encoded and saved as
.mobileconfig documents in order to work. I made a tool (using LiveCode,
natch) to do this; it's available at http://thehelpful.com/iosfonts/

One day I must upload the stack for others to grab! But so many other
things to do... :-/

---

Keith Martin
Senior Lecturer, LCC (University of the Arts London)
President, http://IVRPA.org
http://PanoramaPhotographer.com
http://thatkeith.com
+44 (0)7909541365

---

Re: Font embedding for iOS in LC9

Try with 8 to make sure fonts work.  There is a font bug in 9 on devices
with retina screens.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Keith Martin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2017, at 15:36, Andrew Bell via use-livecode wrote:
>
> Digging around through my stack I found some old commented out code for
>> "start using font file tFont" but that seems to be Mac/PC standalone code
>> not needed for mobile.
>>

> Not actual insight, at least in the sense of answers, but I found a way to
> install fonts in iOS. They need to be base64 encoded and saved as
> .mobileconfig documents in order to work. I made a tool (using LiveCode,
> natch) to do this; it's available at http://thehelpful.com/iosfonts/
>
> One day I must upload the stack for others to grab! But so many other
> things to do... :-/

> ---
>
> Keith Martin
> Senior Lecturer, LCC (University of the Arts London)
> President, http://IVRPA.org
> http://PanoramaPhotographer.com
> http://thatkeith.com
> +44 (0)7909541365
>
> ---

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Font embedding for iOS in LC9

> Try with 8 to make sure fonts work.  There is a font bug in 9 on devices
> with retina screens.

I should have searched the bug list first and I would have seen #19358
which describes this issue. I just did a build using 8.1.4rc1 with the
same exact code base and the fonts work fine.

Haven't had a chance yet to try the workaround that Keith Martin had
mentioned @ http://thehelpful.com/iosfonts/

--Andrew Bell

Re: Font embedding for iOS in LC9

we really, really, really need a central repo

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try with 8 to make sure fonts work.  There is a font bug in 9 on devices
>> with retina screens.
>>

> I should have searched the bug list first and I would have seen #19358
> which describes this issue. I just did a build using 8.1.4rc1 with the same
> exact code base and the fonts work fine.
>
> Haven't had a chance yet to try the workaround that Keith Martin had
> mentioned @ http://thehelpful.com/iosfonts/
>
> --Andrew Bell

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."