Font question, which Courier?

Paul Looney-2
     Assuming Courier is the only crossplatform monospaced font, which is the
best to use for a crossplatform stack? There is Courier, Courier CE, and
Courier New; they all look similar to me. Thanks in advance.
Paul Looney

Re: Font question, which Courier?

Charles Hartman
As far as I've been able to tell, Courier New is more widely
available than the others. Unfortunately, on Mac -- mine at least --
as compared with Courier, Courier New is annoyingly light, as in the
opposite of bold; it looks pale when you put it beside text in other
fonts. I ended up using an if-block to choose:

   if "Courier" is among the lines of the fontNames then
     put "Courier" into tNewMonoFont
   else
     put "Courier New" into tNewMonoFont
   end if
   . . .
   set the textFont of someStack to tNewMonoFont
   . . .

Charles Hartman

On Jul 30, 2005, at 11:06 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>      Assuming Courier is the only crossplatform monospaced font,
> which is the
> best to use for a crossplatform stack? There is Courier, Courier
> CE, and
> Courier New; they all look similar to me. Thanks in advance.
> Paul Looney

Re: Font question, which Courier?

Paul Looney-2
Charles,
Thank you.
That was very helpful, especially the script.
Paul Looney

    As far as I've been able to tell, Courier New is more widely
available than the others. Unfortunately, on Mac -- mine at least -- as
compared with Courier, Courier New is annoyingly light, as in the
opposite of bold; it looks pale when you put it beside text in other
fonts. I ended up using an if-block to choose:

   if "Courier" is among the lines of the fontNames then
   put "Courier" into tNewMonoFont
   else
   put "Courier New" into tNewMonoFont
   end if
   . . .
   set the textFont of someStack to tNewMonoFont
   . . .

 Charles Hartman

 On Jul 30, 2005, at 11:06 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

  > Assuming Courier is the only crossplatform monospaced font, > which
is the
  > best to use for a crossplatform stack? There is Courier, Courier >
CE, and
 > Courier New; they all look similar to me. Thanks in advance.
 > Paul Looney

Re: Font question, which Courier?

Charles Hartman
You're certainly welcome. There are more pitfalls in this vicinity,
by the way -- that is, if you're trying to change fonts in a stack
(and especially substacks!) at runtime. I've worked out some more
script stuff for this if you want it.

Charles

On Jul 31, 2005, at 11:54 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Charles,
> Thank you.
> That was very helpful, especially the script.
> Paul Looney

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence
Connecticut College