GIF License

Jim Bufalini
Anyone know if a license is still required to export snapshot ... as GIF? If
so, what does this cost? -Jim

Re: GIF License

jbv-2

Jim Bufalini a *crit :

> Anyone know if a license is still required to export snapshot ... as GIF? If
> so, what does this cost? -Jim

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the patent
expired recently, at least for certain countries...

JB

Re: GIF License

jbv-2

> > Anyone know if a license is still required to export snapshot ... as GIF? If
> > so, what does this cost? -Jim
>
> please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the patent
> expired recently, at least for certain countries...
>
> JB

indeed, a simple google search about "gif patent" will give you
plenty of info...

JB

Re: GIF License

Chipp Walters
Last I tried, 'export...as GIF' works.

-Chipp

>>>Anyone know if a license is still required to export snapshot ... as GIF? If
>>>so, what does this cost? -Jim

RE: GIF License

Jim Bufalini
Chipp,

Hmmm. It *appears* to work, but trying to link to it from html viewing in MS
IE doesn't work (shows the little X in a frame), and for example FireWorks
says its an unknown format. On the other hand, it does display in FireFox,
Design mode of DreamWeaver and Windows XP preview! I have no problem using
the identical script, changing GIF to JPEG. It produces a perfectly fine
jpg. This is what was leading me to believe it was some kind of encoding
problem.

export snapshot from rect the rect of stack ImageHolder to file tPictFileNm
as GIF

Jim

>>>Anyone know if a license is still required to export snapshot ... as GIF?
If
>>>so, what does this cost? -Jim

Re: GIF License

Derek Bump
Jim Bufalini wrote:
> Hmmm. It *appears* to work, but trying to link to it from html viewing in MS
> IE doesn't work (shows the little X in a frame), and for example FireWorks
> says its an unknown format. On the other hand, it does display in FireFox,
> Design mode of DreamWeaver and Windows XP preview!

On the Windows side (for me) it does work.  I also looked at the file
with a text viewer and it's identified as a GIF87a.  The rev
documentation says "If you specify the export GIF form and don't have a
special license key, the image is exported in Revolution's internal
format instead."  I believe that that contradicts what I'm seeing on my
system.

As far as the original question of the license cost, I have no idea.  I
was also interested in it, but when I went to the Rev store to purchase
the license I couldn't find it.

But since it appears to be working fine for me, I'm not worried about it.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software

RE: GIF License

Jim Bufalini
Derek,

> I also looked at the file with a text viewer and it's identified as a
GIF87a

A text editor, why didn't I think of that! :-) OK, mine are starting out
before import as GIF89a and after Export are ÿØÿà. This meaningful to
anyone?

Jim

> Hmmm. It *appears* to work, but trying to link to it from html viewing in
MS
> IE doesn't work (shows the little X in a frame), and for example FireWorks
> says its an unknown format. On the other hand, it does display in FireFox,
> Design mode of DreamWeaver and Windows XP preview!

On the Windows side (for me) it does work.  I also looked at the file
with a text viewer and it's identified as a GIF87a.  The rev
documentation says "If you specify the export GIF form and don't have a
special license key, the image is exported in Revolution's internal
format instead."  I believe that that contradicts what I'm seeing on my
system.

As far as the original question of the license cost, I have no idea.  I
was also interested in it, but when I went to the Rev store to purchase
the license I couldn't find it.

But since it appears to be working fine for me, I'm not worried about it.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software

RE: GIF License - Resolved

Jim Bufalini
Everyone,

Just figured it out. A bad switch statement was causing my script to export
... as JPEG with a file extension of .gif :-(( This confused some
browsers/programs and not others. Those funny characters are what you see at
the beginning of a JEPG. So, the answer is, you don't need a license, just
better debugging and a text editor :-) And, yes it comes out of export as
GIF87a.

Jim