GUID generator

Sivakatirswami
I'm building a PicLens Publisher here that will do pretty much what the
current PicLens Publisher does from CoolIris, with some additions to
their Media RSS format that their app does not do.
(see www.piclens.com)

One thing I need to emulate is their GUID (Global Unique ID) generator
which outputs unique len(36) random strings like

557B4610-65DC-4FEA-B6DC-32C3FA4B374D

24D2C85A-DD13-4B5D-9CCF-8F3ADC3E6CC7

6B8CD7AA-11B5-4A0D-8EF1-0D6B18C80A17

0B7815AE-AC47-457D-B2CA-F0280947220D

there is no significance to these strings other than that the uniqueness
of the string being close to infinity i.e. unlikely every to be
duplicated again.

This is something brand new for me... I'm curious if anyone knows the
patterns here or has any idea of the algorithm being used. It does
appear that the alpha chars are always a) caps b) never go beyond F
This hints at a hexidecimal system underlying the algorithm.
I presume one could request a random selection from the hex set:
0123456789ABCDEF
and call this 36 times. i don't know why there is any need for
hyphenated segments other than for readability....

But, it's pretty simple to write a generator the appears to emulate the
algorithm.. I have this so far and it seems to do the job... any insights?

on mouseUp
repeat 5 times
 repeat 9 times
   put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
 end repeat
 put "-" after  tGUID
 repeat 3 times
   repeat 4 times
     put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
   end repeat
    put "-" after  tGUID
    end repeat
     repeat 12 times hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
   put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
 end repeat
 put tGUID & cr after tOutPut
 put empty into tGUID
end repeat
put tOutPut
end mouseUp

function GetRandomHex
    put "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F" into hexSet
      split hexSet by " "
      put random(16) into tPickAnyOne
     return hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
end GetRandomHex

delivers

F2ACEA9EB-C3A5-F4CE-05B5-92888E1E80FA
66A5365D3-EF9A-EF00-66EB-6C82663130B7
65634AD6D-8577-A757-310F-47287CF85389
E2A1DC66D-C58C-1F26-26BF-35EA95A46B5C
BC04061AC-E3C5-3DEC-6EF3-7397B7757F8A

Seem OK?

Re: GUID generator

Sarah Reichelt-2
If these have to be unique, I would base them on "the seconds" as that
is very unlikely to be duplicated, unless you generate them all at
once, so produce many per second.
Converting the seconds to hex gives 8 characters, so that could be
most of the first segment in your ID.

Then you could add in some machine-specific identifier if the IDs
generated by different people all had to be unique.

Then pad it out to the correct length with random characters as before.

Cheers,
Sarah

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Sivakatirswami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm building a PicLens Publisher here that will do pretty much what the
> current PicLens Publisher does from CoolIris, with some additions to their
> Media RSS format that their app does not do.
> (see www.piclens.com)
>
> One thing I need to emulate is their GUID (Global Unique ID) generator which
> outputs unique len(36) random strings like
>
> 557B4610-65DC-4FEA-B6DC-32C3FA4B374D
>
> 24D2C85A-DD13-4B5D-9CCF-8F3ADC3E6CC7
>
> 6B8CD7AA-11B5-4A0D-8EF1-0D6B18C80A17
>
> 0B7815AE-AC47-457D-B2CA-F0280947220D
>
> there is no significance to these strings other than that the uniqueness of
> the string being close to infinity i.e. unlikely every to be duplicated
> again.
>
> This is something brand new for me... I'm curious if anyone knows the
> patterns here or has any idea of the algorithm being used. It does appear
> that the alpha chars are always a) caps b) never go beyond F This hints at a
> hexidecimal system underlying the algorithm.
> I presume one could request a random selection from the hex set:
> 0123456789ABCDEF
> and call this 36 times. i don't know why there is any need for hyphenated
> segments other than for readability....
>
> But, it's pretty simple to write a generator the appears to emulate the
> algorithm.. I have this so far and it seems to do the job... any insights?
>
> on mouseUp
> repeat 5 times
> repeat 9 times
>  put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
> end repeat
> put "-" after  tGUID
> repeat 3 times
>  repeat 4 times
>    put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
>  end repeat
>   put "-" after  tGUID
>   end repeat
>    repeat 12 times hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
>  put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
> end repeat
> put tGUID & cr after tOutPut
> put empty into tGUID
> end repeat
> put tOutPut
> end mouseUp
>
> function GetRandomHex
>   put "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F" into hexSet
>     split hexSet by " "
>     put random(16) into tPickAnyOne
>    return hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
> end GetRandomHex
>
> delivers
>
> F2ACEA9EB-C3A5-F4CE-05B5-92888E1E80FA
> 66A5365D3-EF9A-EF00-66EB-6C82663130B7
> 65634AD6D-8577-A757-310F-47287CF85389
> E2A1DC66D-C58C-1F26-26BF-35EA95A46B5C
> BC04061AC-E3C5-3DEC-6EF3-7397B7757F8A
>

> Seem OK?

Re: GUID generator

Alex Shaw
Hi

Mark's UUID library is a good reference..
http://www.futility.co.uk/futsoft/revolutionstuff.html

regards
alex

Sivakatirswami wrote:

> One thing I need to emulate is their GUID (Global Unique ID) generator
> which outputs unique len(36) random strings like
>
> 557B4610-65DC-4FEA-B6DC-32C3FA4B374D

Re: GUID generator

Jim Ault
the milliseconds might be a little better.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 6/20/08 9:44 PM, "Sarah Reichelt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> on mouseUp
>> repeat 5 times
>> repeat 9 times
>>  put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
>> end repeat
>> put "-" after  tGUID
>> repeat 3 times
>>  repeat 4 times
>>    put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
>>  end repeat
>>   put "-" after  tGUID
>>   end repeat
>>    repeat 12 times hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
>>  put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
>> end repeat
>> put tGUID & cr after tOutPut
>> put empty into tGUID
>> end repeat
>> put tOutPut
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> function GetRandomHex
>>   put "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F" into hexSet

Re: GUID generator

Jim Ault wrote:
> the milliseconds might be a little better.

Yes, I generally use a permutation of milliseconds with $user.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: GUID generator

masmit
Sivakatirswami, the question is how unique do you need it to be -
this is not a simple question :)

if you need it to be unique only in your own domain (as it were),
then your function is probably fine, but if it needs to be unique in
the wider world, then maybe not.

The little library ( http://www.futility.co.uk/futsoft/
revolutionstuff.html ) that I wrote follows the relevant RFC - so, in
theory, it's output has 'wider' uniqueness - the subject is quite
involved, when you get into it.

Best Mark

On 21 Jun 2008, at 05:12, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I'm building a PicLens Publisher here that will do pretty much what
> the current PicLens Publisher does from CoolIris, with some
> additions to their Media RSS format that their app does not do.
> (see www.piclens.com)
>
> One thing I need to emulate is their GUID (Global Unique ID)
> generator which outputs unique len(36) random strings like
>
> 557B4610-65DC-4FEA-B6DC-32C3FA4B374D
>
> 24D2C85A-DD13-4B5D-9CCF-8F3ADC3E6CC7
>
> 6B8CD7AA-11B5-4A0D-8EF1-0D6B18C80A17
>
> 0B7815AE-AC47-457D-B2CA-F0280947220D
>
> there is no significance to these strings other than that the
> uniqueness of the string being close to infinity i.e. unlikely
> every to be duplicated again.
>
> This is something brand new for me... I'm curious if anyone knows
> the patterns here or has any idea of the algorithm being used. It
> does appear that the alpha chars are always a) caps b) never go
> beyond F This hints at a hexidecimal system underlying the algorithm.
> I presume one could request a random selection from the hex set:
> 0123456789ABCDEF
> and call this 36 times. i don't know why there is any need for
> hyphenated segments other than for readability....
>
> But, it's pretty simple to write a generator the appears to emulate
> the algorithm.. I have this so far and it seems to do the job...
> any insights?
>
> on mouseUp
> repeat 5 times
> repeat 9 times
>   put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
> end repeat
> put "-" after  tGUID
> repeat 3 times
>   repeat 4 times
>     put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
>   end repeat
>    put "-" after  tGUID
>    end repeat
>     repeat 12 times hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
>   put GetRandomHex() after  tGUID
> end repeat
> put tGUID & cr after tOutPut
> put empty into tGUID
> end repeat
> put tOutPut
> end mouseUp
>
> function GetRandomHex
>    put "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F" into hexSet
>      split hexSet by " "
>      put random(16) into tPickAnyOne
>     return hexSet [tPickAnyOne]
> end GetRandomHex
>
> delivers
>
> F2ACEA9EB-C3A5-F4CE-05B5-92888E1E80FA
> 66A5365D3-EF9A-EF00-66EB-6C82663130B7
> 65634AD6D-8577-A757-310F-47287CF85389
> E2A1DC66D-C58C-1F26-26BF-35EA95A46B5C
> BC04061AC-E3C5-3DEC-6EF3-7397B7757F8A
>

> Seem OK?

Re: GUID generator

Sivakatirswami
Mark Smith wrote:

> Sivakatirswami, the question is how unique do you need it to be - this
> is not a simple question :)
>
> if you need it to be unique only in your own domain (as it were), then
> your function is probably fine, but if it needs to be unique in the
> wider world, then maybe not.
>
> The little library (
> http://www.futility.co.uk/futsoft/revolutionstuff.html ) that I wrote
> follows the relevant RFC - so, in theory, it's output has 'wider'
> uniqueness - the subject is quite involved, when you get into it.
>
> Best Mark

I love to follow in the trails blazed by the great ones before me. :-)
I downloaded your lib and will probably use the time-based algorithm.

Thanks!

Sivakatirswami

Problem with send command???

Dave-272
Hi,

The following gives an execution error on the send command. I'm
guessing it because of the "@" usage. Is it not possible to call a
handler in this manner?

All the Best
Dave

on TestIt @theArray,theValue
   put 123 into theArray["Dave"]
end TestIt

on mouseUp
   local myArray

   send "TestIt myArray,1"  to me

Re: Problem with send command???

Klaus major-k
Hi Dave,

> Hi,
>
> The following gives an execution error on the send command. I'm
> guessing it because of the "@" usage. Is it not possible to call a
> handler in this manner?
>
> All the Best
> Dave
>
> on TestIt @theArray,theValue
>  put 123 into theArray["Dave"]
> end TestIt
>

> on mouseUp
>  local myArray
>
>  send "TestIt myArray,1"  to me
> end mouseUp

I think yo have to create a variable first before you can reference it.

Try this:

on mouseUp
  local myArray
  put empty into myArray
  send "TestIt myArray,1"  to me
end mouseUp

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Problem with send command???

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Klaus,

I tried that while you wrote it. It doesn't work. I believe the send
command just is't capable of setting variables by reference. This
seems logical, if you think of what would be happening if you add "in
0 millisecs".

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Benefit from our inexpensive hosting services. See http://economy-x-talk.com/server.html
  for more info.

On 22 jun 2008, at 16:33, Klaus Major wrote:

> I think yo have to create a variable first before you can reference
> it.
>
> Try this:
>
> on mouseUp
> local myArray
> put empty into myArray
> send "TestIt myArray,1"  to me
> end mouseUp
>

> Regards
>
> Klaus Major
> [hidden email]
> http://www.major-k.de

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Problem with send command???

Dave-272
Hi,

Yes, I could understand it if it were using in the <time> clause, but
I'm not. If so do this:

on TestIt @theArray,theValue
   put 123 into theArray["Dave"]
end TestIt

on mouseUp
   local myDoStatement
   local mySendStatement
   local myArray

   put empty into myArray
   put "TestIt myArray,1" into myDoStatement

   do myDoStatement
end mouseUp

It works ok, but what I want to be able to do is to have the command
sent to a different object as in:

put the long id of field "xyz" into myHandlerLocation

send "TestIt myArray,1" to myHandlerLocation

Is there no way of doing this in RunRev?

All the Best
Dave

On 22 Jun 2008, at 15:39, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> I tried that while you wrote it. It doesn't work. I believe the
> send command just is't capable of setting variables by reference.
> This seems logical, if you think of what would be happening if you
> add "in 0 millisecs".
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> http://economy-x-talk.com
> http://www.salery.biz
>
> Benefit from our inexpensive hosting services. See http://economy-x-
> talk.com/server.html for more info.
>
> On 22 jun 2008, at 16:33, Klaus Major wrote:
>>
>> I think yo have to create a variable first before you can
>> reference it.
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>> local myArray
>> put empty into myArray
>> send "TestIt myArray,1"  to me
>> end mouseUp
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Klaus Major
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.major-k.de

Re: GUID generator

Shao Sean-2
Only works in Rev 2.8 or greater

_internal call "generate_uuid"
put the result

Re: GUID generator

Shao Sean wrote:
> Only works in Rev 2.8 or greater
>
> _internal call "generate_uuid"
> put the result

Cool.  Where is that documented?

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: GUID generator

Björnke von Gierke
On 22 Jun 2008, at 19:26, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Shao Sean wrote:
>> Only works in Rev 2.8 or greater
>> _internal call "generate_uuid"
>> put the result
>
> Cool.  Where is that documented?

Seeing how internal is even "obsfucated" by using a underscore, i'd
bet nowhere :)

--

official ChatRev page:
http://chatrev.bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
go stack URL "http://homepage.mac.com/bvg/chatrev1.3.rev"

Re: GUID generator

Ken Ray
> Shao Sean wrote:
>> Only works in Rev 2.8 or greater
>>
>> _internal call "generate_uuid"
>> put the result
>
> Cool.  Where is that documented?

It's not... it's one of those undocumented internal commands used by the Rev
IDE (of which I'm sure there are more than just that one). The `_internal
call "generate_uuid"` comes from the standalone building process (FYI).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: GUID generator

Ken Ray wrote:

>> Shao Sean wrote:
>>> Only works in Rev 2.8 or greater
>>>
>>> _internal call "generate_uuid"
>>> put the result
>>
>> Cool.  Where is that documented?
>
> It's not... it's one of those undocumented internal commands used by the Rev
> IDE (of which I'm sure there are more than just that one). The `_internal
> call "generate_uuid"` comes from the standalone building process (FYI).

I'm guessing that something was written somewhere to allow Shao Sean to
have discovered this.  Seems unlikely the result of random typing.

Where was that discovered, and what other goodies can be found there?

  Managing Editor, revJournal

[OT] desktop.dll and iPod

viktoras d.
it is off topic, but maybe someone knows how to fix this issue. I let my
antivirus delete desktop.dll from an iPod device. Antivirus complained
that it is a troyan TR/Agent.bve.1... But the result is that after the
deletion on MS Windows iPod contents are not longer displayed in file
explorer. iTunes shows contents of Music folder. But when I try to
explore it as an usb disk, it reports a rundll eror: desktop.dll not
found...
Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks for any hints :-)

Viktoras

AW: [OT] desktop.dll and iPod

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Can't you restore it from a backup or from another PC? Just a shot in the
dark, without knowing the background
Tiemo

Re: [OT] desktop.dll and iPod

Thomas McGrath III-2
There should be a check box in iTunes to allow the iPod to be used for
disk storage. Maybe if you unselect, apply, reselect that check box
then it will fix the missing dll???

Tom McGrath

On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:06 AM, viktoras didziulis wrote:

> it is off topic, but maybe someone knows how to fix this issue. I
> let my antivirus delete desktop.dll from an iPod device. Antivirus
> complained that it is a troyan TR/Agent.bve.1... But the result is
> that after the deletion on MS Windows iPod contents are not longer
> displayed in file explorer. iTunes shows contents of Music folder.
> But when I try to explore it as an usb disk, it reports a rundll
> eror: desktop.dll not found...
> Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks for any hints :-)
>
> Viktoras

Re: GUID generator

Ken Ray
> Where was that discovered, and what other goodies can be found there?

I discovered it accidentally - after you build a standalone, if you have the
message box open and choose "Revolution UI Elements In Lists" from the View
menu, and then look at the stacks in use (the last btn on the right), you
see an entry for "revSBLibrary". Edit its script and look at the function
"revSBGenerateUUID"...