Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
I have stayed away from the Data Grid because of scrolling issues and the complexity issues were  too much for my "baby talk xTalk brain" … but my UX designer has implement a module that has index of row that include various little icon and controls that will be hard to do in the old "all control separate in a single group" that I have been using.  And the indexes are small. So, time for DataGrid2 (has that been implemented or still pending? I have not kept up with DG dev) .

I am willing to pay for the third party tools, if they are considered really helpful,  and it they are maintained and up to date and have "recommendations" from the community. Any thoughts on get starting, caveats?  Particularly what *not* to do…

Meanwhile, we are off to the on-line academy to check out the lessons….

BR

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
I can give you a "not to do". DO NOT send selectionChanged to a datagrid in the middle of processing a selectionChanged message already. This will crash LC to desktop.

I have not used form style datagrids, which is what you are talking about methinks, but the idea is fairly simple. Instead of every row behaving exactly the same way, form datagrids allow each row to behave independently, as though they were individual "forms" stacked in a column. You change the look of the rows in the row behavior script, and alter the overall look of the rows by modifying the rowTemplate.

In the datagrid properties window data grid tab, change the style of the datagrid to "Form" and the options for editing these become available. The Row template is just a group so you can modify it like any other group. If you edit the script, you can see that there are already handlers defined, like fillInData, layoutControl etc. And since V9 other messages that can be used are in the left pane of the script editor to give you some idea on what you can do.

I would say open a new stack, drag a datagrid to it, change the type to Form and dig in. You cannot damage your existing project that way.

Bob S

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 07:06 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have stayed away from the Data Grid because of scrolling issues and the complexity issues were  too much for my "baby talk xTalk brain" … but my UX designer has implement a module that has index of row that include various little icon and controls that will be hard to do in the old "all control separate in a single group" that I have been using.  And the indexes are small. So, time for DataGrid2 (has that been implemented or still pending? I have not kept up with DG dev) .
>
> I am willing to pay for the third party tools, if they are considered really helpful,  and it they are maintained and up to date and have "recommendations" from the community. Any thoughts on get starting, caveats?  Particularly what *not* to do…
>
> Meanwhile, we are off to the on-line academy to check out the lessons….
>
> BR

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
Thank Bob for the tips...

Actually this is  for a YouTube index, and all the "rows" would behave the same way.

The only thing changing on each row would be

1. <a href="https://i.ytimg/#########/hddefault.jbg">https://i.ytimg/#########/hddefault.jbg (the thumbnail)
2. Metadata for our date base (SQlite on the mobile app) Title, description. Etc. appear in a field.
3. Click on a row and drives the user to a Browser by setting the YouTube as the HTML source.

I am starting here:

https://livecode.com/docs/9-0-0/components/livecode-data-grid/

of a course a test stack..

What do you all think of  "A Slug on the Road"  Data Grid Helper?

Brahmanathaswami

On 8/2/18, 4:59 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Bob Sneidar via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I loaded DataGrid in stack

Now I wonder if is tool of choice for

http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/data-grid-candidate.png

There needs to alternate rows, with the "alt" row as blank and showing the card .....?? before I go down the path:

Yes or No  -- can data grid to this?

Brahmanathaswami

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
Hi Swami,

> Am 02.08.2018 um 21:24 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I loaded DataGrid in stack
>
> Now I wonder if is tool of choice for
> http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/data-grid-candidate.png
> There needs to alternate rows, with the "alt" row as blank and showing the card .....?? before I go down the path:
>
> Yes or No  -- can data grid to this?

YES! :-)

> Brahmanathaswami

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
Dear Swami,

We have some free material about datagrids form or table.

1. A tutorial written long time ago before I created DGH, exploring the
very basic concepts of the datagrid control (form and table):
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/3-tutorials

2. Some demo stacks created for demonstrating datagrid's possibilities such
as drag and drop, calculation, etc
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/4-lab

3. About your screenshot, a datagrid form will be your better option in my
opinion.

4. And about Data Grid Helper, I can not answer objectively to your
question, for sure. All I can say is the tool has regular updates for
supporting the new versions of LiveCode. A new  major (nothing to do with
our friend Klaus :) (I prefer to specify because he made me the joke on the
livecode forum, haha :) )) 2.5 version has been released in June supporting
dg2 properties, widgets, custom headers, etc. A blog article has been
published about it, with some available screenshots of the new features:
https://livecode.com/data-grid-helper-2-5-adds-support-for-datagrid-2/

Now, if someone in the List want to add a comment about DGH, positive or
not, he / she is welcome. :)

Best Regards,

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Swami,
>
> > Am 02.08.2018 um 21:24 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I loaded DataGrid in stack
> >
> > Now I wonder if is tool of choice for
> > http://wiki.hindu.org/screenshots/data-grid-candidate.png
> > There needs to alternate rows, with the "alt" row as blank and showing
> the card .....?? before I go down the path:
> >
> > Yes or No  -- can data grid to this?
>
> YES! :-)
>
> > Brahmanathaswami
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
Aloha "Zryip"

At $45.00 (cheap) and with your own endorsement (knowing that it is maintained)

I'll get it!

Brahmanathaswami

Ps do you have a real name?

On 8/2/18, 12:01 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of zryip theSlug via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Names are merely abstractions.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 19:15 Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aloha "Zryip"
>
> At $45.00 (cheap) and with your own endorsement (knowing that it is
> maintained)
>
> I'll get it!
>
> Brahmanathaswami
>
> Ps do you have a real name?
>
> On 8/2/18, 12:01 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of zryip theSlug via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Dear Swami,
>
>     We have some free material about datagrids form or table.
>
>     1. A tutorial written long time ago before I created DGH, exploring the
>     very basic concepts of the datagrid control (form and table):
>     http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/3-tutorials
>
>     2. Some demo stacks created for demonstrating datagrid's possibilities
> such
>     as drag and drop, calculation, etc
>     http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/4-lab
>
>     3. About your screenshot, a datagrid form will be your better option
> in my
>     opinion.
>
>     4. And about Data Grid Helper, I can not answer objectively to your
>     question, for sure. All I can say is the tool has regular updates for
>     supporting the new versions of LiveCode. A new  major (nothing to do
> with
>     our friend Klaus :) (I prefer to specify because he made me the joke
> on the
>     livecode forum, haha :) )) 2.5 version has been released in June
> supporting
>     dg2 properties, widgets, custom headers, etc. A blog article has been
>     published about it, with some available screenshots of the new
> features:
>     https://livecode.com/data-grid-helper-2-5-adds-support-for-datagrid-2/
>
>     Now, if someone in the List want to add a comment about DGH, positive
> or
>     not, he / she is welcome. :)
>

>     Best Regards,

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
In that case, call me Obi Wan. Not after the Star Wars Jedi of fame, but after the name of the restaurant Indiana Jones flees from in Temple of Doom.

Bob S

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 22:07 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Names are merely abstractions.

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
Dear Swami,

Thanks for your purchase.

Yes I do have a real name and I do have a good reason to not share it
publicly. When I came with the personnal challenge 8 years ago to create a
commercial plugin, I was an employee and as a developper, my employment
contract was containing a clause not allowing me to develop something like
that.
Now, even if I'm no longer a developer (my service was closed some years
ago, and I failed to find a new job like the old one, because I have just
no diploma in development, despite more than 10 years experience in
different languages) my new employer not allowed me to cumulate salaries
even if I might earn one dollar with an another activity. I asked and he
was clear in his reply.

So I don't know what rules you have in your countries, but these rules are
real in mine and my risk is just to be fired. As I'm considering I'm free
to do what I want during my free time and hobbies, to be sure this will
never happen, you will never seen my real name anywhere.

So I'm quite outlaw, free to do what I want (developping a commercial
plugin during my free time, just because this was an old dream, a challenge
and this is actually for me a way to continue to code for real users),
using an odd nick name, which is well worth another.

That's all the story behind this. Hope I have clarified this a bit.

Best Regards,

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 4:14 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aloha "Zryip"
>
> At $45.00 (cheap) and with your own endorsement (knowing that it is
> maintained)
>
> I'll get it!
>
> Brahmanathaswami
>
> Ps do you have a real name?
>
> On 8/2/18, 12:01 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of zryip theSlug via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Dear Swami,
>
>     We have some free material about datagrids form or table.
>
>     1. A tutorial written long time ago before I created DGH, exploring the
>     very basic concepts of the datagrid control (form and table):
>     http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/3-tutorials
>
>     2. Some demo stacks created for demonstrating datagrid's possibilities
> such
>     as drag and drop, calculation, etc
>     http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/4-lab
>
>     3. About your screenshot, a datagrid form will be your better option
> in my
>     opinion.
>
>     4. And about Data Grid Helper, I can not answer objectively to your
>     question, for sure. All I can say is the tool has regular updates for
>     supporting the new versions of LiveCode. A new  major (nothing to do
> with
>     our friend Klaus :) (I prefer to specify because he made me the joke
> on the
>     livecode forum, haha :) )) 2.5 version has been released in June
> supporting
>     dg2 properties, widgets, custom headers, etc. A blog article has been
>     published about it, with some available screenshots of the new
> features:
>     https://livecode.com/data-grid-helper-2-5-adds-support-for-datagrid-2/
>
>     Now, if someone in the List want to add a comment about DGH, positive
> or
>     not, he / she is welcome. :)
>

>     Best Regards,

Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: Getting Started with DataGrid

Knapp Martin via use-livecode
 Thank you for your service, Mr. slug.
I love your revolutionary spirit, and thank you for your contributions,
priceless on this list.

I’m blown away.