Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Folks:
Turns out there is a Google Static Map api. I’m trying to use it, but get no response from my code that indicates an error.
The Static Maps API URL is: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1 <https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1>

From the dictionary, it looks like I can do this: (this is the example in the google docs. It gives me a map when I put the URL into the browser).
on mouseUp

  put mapURL() into tURL

  put tURL

   put URL tURL into x

   put x into image  “myGMap” —This, obviously won’t work. See below.

end mouseUp

function mapURL

    put "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=Berkeley,CA&zoom=14&size=400x400&key=AIzaSyCO423QzwaEEBmiw4XjPKzz4Tcg_5bjHv4" into retURL

     return retURL

end mapURL

I get text back that looks like that below. It is obviously in some format I can decode in Livecode. I’ve just reached my comfort level with this. How should I decode this. so I can set the imagedata to it?
Tnx,
Bill P

—start of returned text
âPNG

��� IHDR��ê��ê���∑a∆˛��ùPLTE<84{<,KKKLLLNNNSPLPPPRRRTTTVVVYYY^^^aaabbbdddfffkgchhhmmmssstttxxxzzz4®S�õ⁄BÖÙDÑÚEÜÚIäÒNäÚOçÚPçÚSèÚTêÚXíZíÛYîÙaóÙbòıjùÙmûıt£Û{•}™Úó{WãocÍC5ËD8ËE:ÈG9ÈJ:ÈL?

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Since its a static map, its returned in image format (note the png at the
beginning)

You should be able to: put URL "
https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=Berkeley,CA&zoom=14&size=400x400&key=AIzaSyCO423QzwaEEBmiw4XjPKzz4Tcg_5bjHv4"
into img "myImage" and viola. have the map appear.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:49 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks:
> Turns out there is a Google Static Map api. I’m trying to use it, but get
> no response from my code that indicates an error.
> The Static Maps API URL is: https://developers.google.com/
> maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1 <https://developers.google.
> com/maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1>
>
> From the dictionary, it looks like I can do this: (this is the example in
> the google docs. It gives me a map when I put the URL into the browser).
> on mouseUp
>
>   put mapURL() into tURL
>
>   put tURL
>
>    put URL tURL into x
>
>    put x into image  “myGMap” —This, obviously won’t work. See below.
>
> end mouseUp
>

> function mapURL
>
>     put "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=
> Berkeley,CA&zoom=14&size=400x400&key=AIzaSyCO423QzwaEEBmiw4XjPKzz4T
> cg_5bjHv4" into retURL
>
>      return retURL
>
> end mapURL
>
> I get text back that looks like that below. It is obviously in some format
> I can decode in Livecode. I’ve just reached my comfort level with this. How
> should I decode this. so I can set the imagedata to it?
> Tnx,
> Bill P
>
> —start of returned text
> âPNG
>

> ���
> IHDR�� ê�� ê  ���∑a∆˛�� ùPLTE<84{<,KKKLLLNNNSPLPPPRRRTTTVVVYYY^^^
> aaabbbdddfffkgchhhmmmssstttxxxzzz   4®S�õ⁄BÖÙDÑÚEÜÚIäÒNäÚOçÚPçÚSèÚTêÚXí
> ZíÛYîÙaóÙbòıjùÙmûıt£Û{•}™Úó{WãocÍC5ËD8ËE:ÈG9ÈJ:ÈL?

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Bill,

As Mike mentioned, the API call returns image data, so set the filename of an image to the url. Here’s the script from a working demo:

on mouseUp
    put urlEncode(fld "address") into tAddress
    put urlEncode(fld "city") into tCity
    put urlEncode(fld "state") into tState

    put the thumbposition of scrollbar "scale" into tScale
    put the hilitedButtonName of group "maptype" into tType
    put "http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap" into tBaseURL
    put  "?center=" into tArgList
    if tAddress is empty then
        --put empty into tArgList
    else
        put tAddress & comma after tArgList
    end if
    put tCity & comma & tState after tArgList
    put "&zoom=" & tScale & "&size=512x512&maptype=" & tType after tArgList

    # build marker
    put urlEncode(fld "m_address") into tMAddress
    put urlEncode(fld "m_city") into tMCity
    put urlEncode(fld "m_state") into tMState
    put the label of btn "color" into tMColor
    put toUpper(char 1 of fld "label") into tMLabel
    put "&markers=" & "color:" & tMColor & "|label:" & tMLabel & "|" & tMAddress,tMCity,tMState after tArgList

    put tBaseURL & tArgList into fld "urlfld"
    set the filename of img "map" to fld "urlfld"
end mouseUp

Most of the script is building a URL string with the proper arguments. The last two statements are where you actually display the image.

One thing I will say its that if you want to use it for other than just occasional demos, you will have to register with Google for an API key, when gets tacked on to the end of the argument list for the URL.

If you’d like you can grab the working stack here (from the message box):

go stack URL "http://dight310.byu.edu/lesson_materials/14-Web_services/googleMaps.livecode"

Hope this helps.

Devin

On Apr 27, 2017, at 2:49 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Folks:
Turns out there is a Google Static Map api. I’m trying to use it, but get no response from my code that indicates an error.
The Static Maps API URL is: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1 <https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1>

From the dictionary, it looks like I can do this: (this is the example in the google docs. It gives me a map when I put the URL into the browser).
[...]

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Here is how I get directions in a map:

on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
   put "https://www.google.com/maps/dir/12150+Mora+Dr,+Santa+Fe+Springs,+CA+90670,+USA/" into theURL
   put the dgHilitedLine of group "dgSites" into theHilitedLine
   put the dgDataOfLine [thehilitedline] of group "dgSites" into aRecordData
   put urlencode(aRecordData["addr1"]) & "+" & \
         urlencode(aRecordData["city"]) & "+" & \
         urlencode(aRecordData["state"]) & "+" & \
         urlencode(aRecordData["zip"]) into theAddress
   set the clipboarddata to \
         aRecordData["addr1"] & space & \
         aRecordData["city"] & space & \
         aRecordData["state"] & space & \
         aRecordData["zip"]
   put theURL & urlencode(theAddress) into theURL
   launch url theURL
end mouseUp

Note I have hardcoded the start location into the URL, but that can be dealt with easy enough. Also I am pullign data from a datagrid, but that also can be sussed out easily enough. This *should* work in a browser object, no?

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hmm, I must have spoken too soon. This actually works!

on mouseUp

    put mapURL() into tURL

    put URL tURL into x

    put x into image "myGMap"

end mouseUp

function mapURL

                put "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=Berkeley,CA&zoom=14&size=400x400&key=AIzaSyCO423QzwaEEBmiw4XjPKzz4Tcg_5bjHv4" into retURL

                return retURL

end mapURL

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 3:36 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here is how I get directions in a map:
>
> on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
>   put "https://www.google.com/maps/dir/12150+Mora+Dr,+Santa+Fe+Springs,+CA+90670,+USA/" into theURL
>   put the dgHilitedLine of group "dgSites" into theHilitedLine
>   put the dgDataOfLine [thehilitedline] of group "dgSites" into aRecordData
>   put urlencode(aRecordData["addr1"]) & "+" & \
>         urlencode(aRecordData["city"]) & "+" & \
>         urlencode(aRecordData["state"]) & "+" & \
>         urlencode(aRecordData["zip"]) into theAddress
>   set the clipboarddata to \
>         aRecordData["addr1"] & space & \
>         aRecordData["city"] & space & \
>         aRecordData["state"] & space & \
>         aRecordData["zip"]
>   put theURL & urlencode(theAddress) into theURL
>   launch url theURL
> end mouseUp
>
> Note I have hardcoded the start location into the URL, but that can be dealt with easy enough. Also I am pullign data from a datagrid, but that also can be sussed out easily enough. This *should* work in a browser object, no?

User IP Address from LC Server?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
After looking at a bunch of entries in the LC Dictionary
I can’t find anything that tells me how I can get the
IP of a User who has logged into my LC Server website.

Does anyone out there know how to do this with LC?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Re: User IP Address from LC Server?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Rick,

I believe that would be found in $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] .

Here is a simple way to see what's in the $_SERVER array:

1) Put the following code in a text file - I'll call it "globals.lc":

    <?lc
    put the keys of $_SERVER into tList
    sort lines of tList
    repeat for each line tKey in tList
         if $_SERVER[tKey] is an array
         then put "[" & tKey & "]" & CR after tOutput
         else put tKey && "=" && $_SERVER[tKey] & CR after tOutput
    end repeat

    -- do this so the output will look right in browser or from msg box
    if "LiveCode" is not in $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] then replace CR
    with "<BR>" in tOutput

    put tOutput
    ?>

2) Upload the file to the folder on your LC server where web pages go.

3) Go to its URL - e.g.  go url "http://mywebsite.com/globals.lc"

That should show you everything in the $_SERVER global.

You can do something similar to see what's in the various other server
globals, all of which begin with "$_" - check the dictionary for more
info on those.

HTH -
Phil Davis

On 4/27/17 5:21 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> After looking at a bunch of entries in the LC Dictionary
> I can’t find anything that tells me how I can get the
> IP of a User who has logged into my LC Server website.
>
> Does anyone out there know how to do this with LC?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rick

Phil Davis

Re: User IP Address from LC Server?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] will give you the IP addr of the host issuing
the URL request

Probably the same as "user who has logged in " ... but without checking
if the URL request has come from someone logged in :-_)

-- Alex.

On 28/04/2017 01:21, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> After looking at a bunch of entries in the LC Dictionary
> I can’t find anything that tells me how I can get the
> IP of a User who has logged into my LC Server website.
>
> Does anyone out there know how to do this with LC?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rick

Re: User IP Address from LC Server?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Alex and Phil,

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Rick

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:06 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I believe that would be found in $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] .
>
> Here is a simple way to see what's in the $_SERVER array:
>
> 1) Put the following code in a text file - I'll call it "globals.lc":
>
>   <?lc
>   put the keys of $_SERVER into tList
>   sort lines of tList
>   repeat for each line tKey in tList
>        if $_SERVER[tKey] is an array
>        then put "[" & tKey & "]" & CR after tOutput
>        else put tKey && "=" && $_SERVER[tKey] & CR after tOutput
>   end repeat
>
>   -- do this so the output will look right in browser or from msg box
>   if "LiveCode" is not in $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] then replace CR
>   with "<BR>" in tOutput
>
>   put tOutput
>   ?>
>
> 2) Upload the file to the folder on your LC server where web pages go.
>
> 3) Go to its URL - e.g.  go url "http://mywebsite.com/globals.lc"
>

> That should show you everything in the $_SERVER global.
>
> You can do something similar to see what's in the various other server globals, all of which begin with "$_" - check the dictionary for more info on those.
>
> HTH -
> Phil Davis
>

> On 4/27/17 5:21 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
>> After looking at a bunch of entries in the LC Dictionary
>> I can’t find anything that tells me how I can get the
>> IP of a User who has logged into my LC Server website.
>>
>> Does anyone out there know how to do this with LC?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Rick

> Phil Davis

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Not to forget related to (static) maps, especially as you can have
them from there also as SVG or 'true' PDF (not embedded PNG only):

https://www.openstreetmap.org

For exporting as HTML link or as an "image" (JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF)
see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Export

In short:
Don't use the Export button at top/left (which is for raw map
data) but _the sharing link at right_ that opens a prefs box.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks for the openstreetmap link. I'm really liking the Google maps option since my app is being developed for free distribution to educators and I am not particularly interested in streets. The satellite or terrain views are what I want.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the lat/Lon values at the corners. Then I'll be all set.

If anybody else is interested in what .I'm doing, I'll be glad to share code.

Best,
Bill

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 2:22 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not to forget related to (static) maps, especially as you can have
> them from there also as SVG or 'true' PDF (not embedded PNG only):
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org
>
> For exporting as HTML link or as an "image" (JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF)
> see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Export
>
> In short:
> Don't use the Export button at top/left (which is for raw map
> data) but _the sharing link at right_ that opens a prefs box.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
If you do a second call to the geocode api you can get the info you need.

https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=Berkeley,+CA&zoom=14&size=400x400

There appear to be 2 location sections.  One contains the bounds of the
request, the other contains the bounds of the viewport IE zoom level 14, at
400x400

i haven't really tested much other than to see what kind of results come
back, but hopefully this will get you to where you want to go.

I also saw the following..
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/46729/corner-coordinates-of-google-static-map-tile
which is very interesting. The problem being you would still need the
center point as a starting position, then you can calculate the corners
based on the zoom factor.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM, prothero--- via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the openstreetmap link. I'm really liking the Google maps
> option since my app is being developed for free distribution to educators
> and I am not particularly interested in streets. The satellite or terrain
> views are what I want.
>
> Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the lat/Lon values at the
> corners. Then I'll be all set.
>
> If anybody else is interested in what .I'm doing, I'll be glad to share
> code.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org
>
> > On Apr 28, 2017, at 2:22 AM, hh via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Not to forget related to (static) maps, especially as you can have
> > them from there also as SVG or 'true' PDF (not embedded PNG only):
> >
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org
> >
> > For exporting as HTML link or as an "image" (JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF)
> > see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Export
> >
> > In short:
> > Don't use the Export button at top/left (which is for raw map
> > data) but _the sharing link at right_ that opens a prefs box.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
heres a link to the geocode api information:
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/intro  I'm not
sure my interpretation of the viewport is accurate, but even if you just
use the center point and do the calculations, and ignore the rest of the
data, it should work.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you do a second call to the geocode api you can get the info you need.
>
> https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=
> Berkeley,+CA&zoom=14&size=400x400
>
> There appear to be 2 location sections.  One contains the bounds of the
> request, the other contains the bounds of the viewport IE zoom level 14, at
> 400x400
>
> i haven't really tested much other than to see what kind of results come
> back, but hopefully this will get you to where you want to go.
>
> I also saw the following.. https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/
> 46729/corner-coordinates-of-google-static-map-tile which is very
> interesting. The problem being you would still need the center point as a
> starting position, then you can calculate the corners based on the zoom
> factor.
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM, prothero--- via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the openstreetmap link. I'm really liking the Google maps
>> option since my app is being developed for free distribution to educators
>> and I am not particularly interested in streets. The satellite or terrain
>> views are what I want.
>>
>> Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the lat/Lon values at the
>> corners. Then I'll be all set.
>>
>> If anybody else is interested in what .I'm doing, I'll be glad to share
>> code.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero
>> http://es.earthednet.org
>>
>> > On Apr 28, 2017, at 2:22 AM, hh via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Not to forget related to (static) maps, especially as you can have
>> > them from there also as SVG or 'true' PDF (not embedded PNG only):
>> >
>> > https://www.openstreetmap.org
>> >
>> > For exporting as HTML link or as an "image" (JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF)
>> > see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Export
>> >
>> > In short:
>> > Don't use the Export button at top/left (which is for raw map
>> > data) but _the sharing link at right_ that opens a prefs box.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Have you already seen this nifty utility?
http://staticmapmaker.com/google/

===

I use the following for getting the geo-location.

on mouseUp
  put url ("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/" & \
      "json?address=25a+Thistle+Street+SW,+Edinburgh,+UK") into rslt
  replace quote with empty in rslt
  replace space with empty in rslt
  put offset ("location:{",rslt) into offs
  put line 2 to 3 of (char offs to -1 of rslt) into fld 1
end mouseUp

For displaying, I usually align the (right-aligned) fld 1
to the botRight of the image/ map display.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Mike:
OMG, I LOVE YOU! Fantastic, this is just what I need. I hope I meet you some day so I can buy you dinner. Let me know if you get by Santa Barbara, or Portland area.

Best,
Bill

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you do a second call to the geocode api you can get the info you need.
>
> https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=Berkeley,+CA&zoom=14&size=400x400
>
> There appear to be 2 location sections.  One contains the bounds of the
> request, the other contains the bounds of the viewport IE zoom level 14, at
> 400x400
>
> i haven't really tested much other than to see what kind of results come
> back, but hopefully this will get you to where you want to go.
>
> I also saw the following..
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/46729/corner-coordinates-of-google-static-map-tile
> which is very interesting. The problem being you would still need the
> center point as a starting position, then you can calculate the corners
> based on the zoom factor.
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM, prothero--- via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the openstreetmap link. I'm really liking the Google maps
>> option since my app is being developed for free distribution to educators
>> and I am not particularly interested in streets. The satellite or terrain
>> views are what I want.
>>
>> Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the lat/Lon values at the
>> corners. Then I'll be all set.
>>
>> If anybody else is interested in what .I'm doing, I'll be glad to share
>> code.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> Best,Mike:
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero
>> http://es.earthednet.org
>>
>>> On Apr 28, 2017, at 2:22 AM, hh via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not to forget related to (static) maps, especially as you can have
>>> them from there also as SVG or 'true' PDF (not embedded PNG only):
>>>
>>> https://www.openstreetmap.org
>>>
>>> For exporting as HTML link or as an "image" (JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF)
>>> see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Export
>>>
>>> In short:
>>> Don't use the Export button at top/left (which is for raw map
>>> data) but _the sharing link at right_ that opens a prefs box.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
If you ever get down to the middle of nowhere new mexico, I'll take you up
on the lunch offer.  :) Think others mentioned the same api though, so
there might be lunches all around.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike:
> OMG, I LOVE YOU! Fantastic, this is just what I need. I hope I meet you
> some day so I can buy you dinner. Let me know if you get by Santa Barbara,
> or Portland area.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>

> > On Apr 28, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > If you do a second call to the geocode api you can get the info you need.
> >
> > https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=
> Berkeley,+CA&zoom=14&size=400x400
> >
> > There appear to be 2 location sections.  One contains the bounds of the
> > request, the other contains the bounds of the viewport IE zoom level 14,
> at
> > 400x400
> >
> > i haven't really tested much other than to see what kind of results come
> > back, but hopefully this will get you to where you want to go.
> >
> > I also saw the following..
> > https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/46729/corner-
> coordinates-of-google-static-map-tile
> > which is very interesting. The problem being you would still need the
> > center point as a starting position, then you can calculate the corners
> > based on the zoom factor.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM, prothero--- via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the openstreetmap link. I'm really liking the Google maps
> >> option since my app is being developed for free distribution to
> educators
> >> and I am not particularly interested in streets. The satellite or
> terrain
> >> views are what I want.
> >>
> >> Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the lat/Lon values at the
> >> corners. Then I'll be all set.
> >>
> >> If anybody else is interested in what .I'm doing, I'll be glad to share
> >> code.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Bill
> >>
> >> Best,Mike:
> >> Bill
> >>
> >> William Prothero
> >> http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hermann:
Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I thought I was in for a huge tussle getting this to work and now I see that it’s not going to be a huge hassle. I write geophysical data on a map and Google puts out some nice looking terrain maps, and now I don’t need to include maps in my app. Wonderful!

Best,
Bill

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 11:17 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have you already seen this nifty utility?
> http://staticmapmaker.com/google/
>
> ===
>
> I use the following for getting the geo-location.
>
> on mouseUp
>  put url ("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/" & \
>      "json?address=25a+Thistle+Street+SW,+Edinburgh,+UK") into rslt
>  replace quote with empty in rslt
>  replace space with empty in rslt
>  put offset ("location:{",rslt) into offs
>  put line 2 to 3 of (char offs to -1 of rslt) into fld 1
> end mouseUp
>
> For displaying, I usually align the (right-aligned) fld 1
> to the botRight of the image/ map display.

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I’m willing. Hermann has been generous with good ideas too.
Best,
Bill

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 1:45 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you ever get down to the middle of nowhere new mexico, I'll take you up
> on the lunch offer.  :) Think others mentioned the same api though, so
> there might be lunches all around.
>

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mike:
>> OMG, I LOVE YOU! Fantastic, this is just what I need. I hope I meet you
>> some day so I can buy you dinner. Let me know if you get by Santa Barbara,
>> or Portland area.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>

>>> On Apr 28, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you do a second call to the geocode api you can get the info you need.
>>>
>>> https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=
>> Berkeley,+CA&zoom=14&size=400x400
>>>
>>> There appear to be 2 location sections.  One contains the bounds of the
>>> request, the other contains the bounds of the viewport IE zoom level 14,
>> at
>>> 400x400
>>>
>>> i haven't really tested much other than to see what kind of results come
>>> back, but hopefully this will get you to where you want to go.
>>>
>>> I also saw the following..
>>> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/46729/corner-
>> coordinates-of-google-static-map-tile
>>> which is very interesting. The problem being you would still need the
>>> center point as a starting position, then you can calculate the corners
>>> based on the zoom factor.

>> educators
>> terrain

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Ok, its a bit more complicated. After my initial high at thinking the problem was solved (rushing to a haircut appointment before looking carefully), I noticed that the returned data from Mike’s reverse geocoding URL didn’t change with the zoom level. So apparently, it’s only applied to the stated location. The reverse geo lookup finds a city or address and the “bounds” elements don’t give the lat/lon values at the corner of the image.

I’m fiddling with this, and I’ve got the link (somewhat incomplete derivation) of how to calculate the corner lat/lons, so I’ll try that next. I wish there was a google call I could make that would give me this info, but I can’t find it.

Best,
Bill

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 1:49 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m willing. Hermann has been generous with good ideas too.
> Best,
> Bill
>
>> On Apr 28, 2017, at 1:45 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If you ever get down to the middle of nowhere new mexico, I'll take you up
>> on the lunch offer.  :) Think others mentioned the same api though, so
>> there might be lunches all around.
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike:
>>> OMG, I LOVE YOU! Fantastic, this is just what I need. I hope I meet you
>>> some day so I can buy you dinner. Let me know if you get by Santa Barbara,
>>> or Portland area.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill

>>> Berkeley,+CA&zoom=14&size=400x400

>>> at

>>> coordinates-of-google-static-map-tile

>>> educators
>>> terrain

Re: Getting a Google MAP

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I'll poke around more. Maybe I'll get lucky (boatloads of no in that
phrase) and find a solution.