Getting generic OSX icon in standalone

graham samuel
I've been making a Standalone on OSX Tiger (10.2.4). I believe I have
a well-formed icon - a .icns file made with Iconographer, including
the largest size version (128x128). I can make the Standalone easily
enough, and when I put it in the Applications folder, I get the
proper icon; but if I leave the app in another folder outside
Applications, I get the Apple generic icon for an application, and
the documents for this app also get a (different) generic icon rather
than the one I designed - although I can see versions of the doc icon
in file dialogs within the application. Is this what's supposed to
happen? The only item I got when I searched for this issue in the
list archive was an inconclusive conversation between John and Derek
Bump, back in January of this year.

Can anyone help?

Graham

Re: Getting generic OSX icon in standalone

Mark Swindell-2
I can't help, sorry, but I have met with a lot of frustration around
the whole icon experience myself.  This is an area where a Rev-based
Icon App would be very appreciated. The standalone builder icon
scheme hasn't worked properly for me.

Bring the icons into the app, point them at the standalone(s), click
"Assign Icons,"  and have it be so.

Mark

On Oct 30, 2005, at 8:29 AM, graham samuel wrote:

> I've been making a Standalone on OSX Tiger (10.2.4). I believe I
> have a well-formed icon - a .icns file made with Iconographer,
> including the largest size version (128x128). I can make the
> Standalone easily enough, and when I put it in the Applications
> folder, I get the proper icon; but if I leave the app in another
> folder outside Applications, I get the Apple generic icon for an
> application, and the documents for this app also get a (different)
> generic icon rather than the one I designed - although I can see
> versions of the doc icon in file dialogs within the application. Is
> this what's supposed to happen? The only item I got when I searched
> for this issue in the list archive was an inconclusive conversation
> between John and Derek Bump, back in January of this year.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Graham

Re: Getting generic OSX icon in standalone

J. Landman Gay
Mark Swindell wrote:
> I can't help, sorry, but I have met with a lot of frustration around
> the whole icon experience myself.

Here are some things to try. Much of the frustration revolves around OS
X's reluctance to update its icon info in the Finder.

Build the standalone, assigning your own icons. After the build, if the
icons don't appear, zip the file. Move the zip file to another folder.
Unzip it into the new folder. See if it displays. This method usually
causes the Finder to update its icon information.

If that doesn't work, right-click (control-click) the app and choose
"Show package contents". Open Contents/Resources and then open one of
the icon files in an icon editor such as the one provided by Apple's
developer tools, or a shareware app such as Iconographer. If you see
Rev's default icons, paste your own artwork into each icon's space,
replacing the Revolution icons. Save the icon file. Close the icon
editor. The new icons may not display right away, so do the zip trick again.

Re: Getting generic OSX icon in standalone

graham samuel
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:20:54 -0800, Mark Swindell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't help, sorry, but I have met with a lot of frustration around
> the whole icon experience myself.  This is an area where a Rev-based
> Icon App would be very appreciated. The standalone builder icon
> scheme hasn't worked properly for me.
>
> Bring the icons into the app, point them at the standalone(s), click
> "Assign Icons,"  and have it be so.

Sorry Mark, I can't understand what you're saying - how can I 'bring
the icons into the app'? And where and in what app is there an
"Assign Icons" button? Looks like a great idea if only I could follow
what you're saying.

Dumbly

Mark Swindell wrote:
> I can't help, sorry, but I have met with a lot of frustration around
> the whole icon experience myself.  This is an area where a Rev-based
> Icon App would be very appreciated. The standalone builder icon  scheme
> hasn't worked properly for me.

Changing the app that creates the icns files won't affect problems with
how the Finder fails updating to draw them correctly.

Rather than go to all the effort to recreate an icon building tool in
Rev, a more effective solution takes less of your time:
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/>

:)

  Managing Editor, revJournal

On Oct 30, 2005, at 10:55 AM, graham samuel wrote:

>> I can't help, sorry, but I have met with a lot of frustration around
>> the whole icon experience myself.  This is an area where a Rev-based
>> Icon App would be very appreciated. The standalone builder icon
>> scheme hasn't worked properly for me.
>>
>> Bring the icons into the app, point them at the standalone(s), click
>> "Assign Icons,"  and have it be so.
>>

> Sorry Mark, I can't understand what you're saying - how can I
> 'bring the icons into the app'? And where and in what app is there
> an "Assign Icons" button? Looks like a great idea if only I could
> follow what you're saying.
>
> Dumbly
>
> Graham

Graham,

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.  There is no such app.  I was wishing
there were, and trying to define the ease of use I'd like to see in
such a program.

An IconAssign application, created in Rev, that would allow the user
to design an icon in whatever icon design program worked best for him
or her. IconAssign would ask what icon file to import.  If the icon
files were incorrect or incomplete, it would tell you how they were
incorrect or incomplete and explain what you'd need to do to fix them.

If all was well, it would ask which Standalone to assign the icon
to.  You would choose the standalone, click on an "Assign Icon"
button, and then it would do just that... place the icon correctly
into the standalone.  It would know what to give a Windows, OS X, Mac
Classic, Linux standalone to make the icon display correctly in those
environments.  All done in Revolution.  All eliminating the need for
the Rev developer to learn the intricacies of icon building for each
platform he or she wanted to deploy to.

Wishfully thinking,
Mark