Getting saucy

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Sometimes I download a folder containing the source code for an
application and cd into it from the Terminal and do a

./compile
make
make install

series of actions

and the code is compiled and installed in my operating system.

How does one download such a folder of an Open Source version of Livecode?

Re: Getting saucy

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
A little more involved.  I've only done it on Mac, but start here:
See https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/README.md

You need to clone the git repository to your machine and have the build
tools setup for your platform.  I'm not sure about the "install" part
though... I've just been running the result directly from where it is built
since I'm repeatedly building different versions.  I only install the
packaged ones I download.

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sometimes I download a folder containing the source code for an
> application and cd into it from the Terminal and do a
>
> ./compile
> make
> make install
>
> series of actions
>
> and the code is compiled and installed in my operating system.
>
> How does one download such a folder of an Open Source version of Livecode?
>
> Richmond.

Re: Getting saucy

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I did that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago in a rather feeble attempt
to build a Livecode
version to run on Linux PPC . . .

Most open source efforts supply a folder with the build files inside it
rather
than forcing people down the slightly recherché route of git-hub.

Richmond.

On 9/10/17 5:46 pm, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:

> A little more involved.  I've only done it on Mac, but start here:
> See https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/README.md
>
> You need to clone the git repository to your machine and have the build
> tools setup for your platform.  I'm not sure about the "install" part
> though... I've just been running the result directly from where it is built
> since I'm repeatedly building different versions.  I only install the
> packaged ones I download.
>
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I download a folder containing the source code for an
>> application and cd into it from the Terminal and do a
>>
>> ./compile
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> series of actions
>>
>> and the code is compiled and installed in my operating system.
>>
>> How does one download such a folder of an Open Source version of Livecode?
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Getting saucy

On 09/10/2017 07:54 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> I did that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago in a rather feeble attempt
> to build a Livecode
> version to run on Linux PPC . . .
>
> Most open source efforts supply a folder with the build files inside it
> rather
> than forcing people down the slightly recherché route of git-hub.

When you clone the repository from github you'll find the build files
included. If you have all the necessaries installed on your system
(listed in the directions, and a few simple apt-gets will do the job)
then a ./configure and ./make is probably all you need.

Re: Getting saucy

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Someone more knowledgeable would need to comment as to why, but I can
verify that it won't build from downloaded zips of the repository.  When
attempting to `make config-mac` it will complain that it isn't a git
repository.

Having said all that, it wasn't that bad to get the environment set up on
my Mac.  The most involved part was getting the various SDKs linked in to
my version of Xcode.  If I had not started with an App store version of
Xcode, it probably would have gone smoother (for anyone reading this, be
sure to NOT use the App store version).

Now, I just need to set up a Linux VM so I can start building that version
too...

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago in a rather feeble attempt to
> build a Livecode
> version to run on Linux PPC . . .
>
> Most open source efforts supply a folder with the build files inside it
> rather
> than forcing people down the slightly recherché route of git-hub.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 9/10/17 5:46 pm, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> A little more involved.  I've only done it on Mac, but start here:
>> See https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/README.md
>>
>> You need to clone the git repository to your machine and have the build
>> tools setup for your platform.  I'm not sure about the "install" part
>> though... I've just been running the result directly from where it is
>> built
>> since I'm repeatedly building different versions.  I only install the
>> packaged ones I download.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes I download a folder containing the source code for an
>>> application and cd into it from the Terminal and do a
>>>
>>> ./compile
>>> make
>>> make install
>>>
>>> series of actions
>>>
>>> and the code is compiled and installed in my operating system.
>>>
>>> How does one download such a folder of an Open Source version of
>>> Livecode?
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Getting saucy

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 11 Sep 2017, at 12:54 am, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago in a rather feeble attempt to build a Livecode
> version to run on Linux PPC . . .
>
> Most open source efforts supply a folder with the build files inside it rather
> than forcing people down the slightly recherché route of git-hub.

Hmm… most open source efforts? Would be interested in stats. My expectation would be most just use GitHub. Regardless I think we all have more helpful things to do rather than replicate GitHub functionality.

Having said that it’s open source so anyone can feel free to maintain some other means of access to the source. It would be a hefty task because it’s constantly changing. You can download as a folder from GitHub I think although as Brian said our build tools run some git commands for various things.. probably only the current commit hash is required so you could work around that.

If you are interested in building LiveCode from source then I’d suggest the simplest route is to follow our documented instructions that Brian pointed to. They include the few git commands required to get the source.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Getting saucy

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I'll add that it did not take that much to get it up and running on Linux.
I had an Ubuntu 16.04 ISO already so I built a VM and updated everything.
I used the commands on the build-linux.md file to get all of the dev
software installed.  The only package missing was java... (sudo apt-get
install default-jdk).  Once I had cloned the repo I did the make commands
to config and compile.

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 11 Sep 2017, at 12:54 am, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I did that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago in a rather feeble attempt
> to build a Livecode
> > version to run on Linux PPC . . .
> >
> > Most open source efforts supply a folder with the build files inside it
> rather
> > than forcing people down the slightly recherché route of git-hub.
>
> Hmm… most open source efforts? Would be interested in stats. My
> expectation would be most just use GitHub. Regardless I think we all have
> more helpful things to do rather than replicate GitHub functionality.
>
> Having said that it’s open source so anyone can feel free to maintain some
> other means of access to the source. It would be a hefty task because it’s
> constantly changing. You can download as a folder from GitHub I think
> although as Brian said our build tools run some git commands for various
> things.. probably only the current commit hash is required so you could
> work around that.
>
> If you are interested in building LiveCode from source then I’d suggest
> the simplest route is to follow our documented instructions that Brian
> pointed to. They include the few git commands required to get the source.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Subscript and Superscript

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Since one can set the subscript or superscript of a character from the Text menu, presumably there are commands to do so as well? I can’t find such a thing! Help please.

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Subscript and Superscript

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Roger – you can set subscripts and superscripts by settings the htmlText. So, something like:

set the htmlText of word 5 of fld “x” to “m<sup>2</sup>”

Terry...

On 11/09/2017 1:07 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Guay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Since one can set the subscript or superscript of a character from the Text menu, presumably there are commands to do so as well? I can’t find such a thing! Help please.

    Thanks,

    Roger

Re: Subscript and Superscript

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Or, the way the engine does it is to use "the textshift"...

set the textShift of char 2 of field "textField" to -4 --superscript
set the textShift of char 5 of field "textField" to 4 --subscript

The IDE uses a handler called "ideStyleText" located in stack
"revidelibrary" if you want to take a look.

Brian

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:35 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roger – you can set subscripts and superscripts by settings the
> htmlText. So, something like:
>
> set the htmlText of word 5 of fld “x” to “m<sup>2</sup>”
>
> Terry...
>
> On 11/09/2017 1:07 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Guay via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Since one can set the subscript or superscript of a character from the
> Text menu, presumably there are commands to do so as well? I can’t find
> such a thing! Help please.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Roger

Re: Subscript and Superscript