Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi friends,

quick question:
Does Google allow apps that have been created with the Community Version of LC?

Apple does definitively not, as I know.

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> Am 21.11.2020 um 11:57 schrieb Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi friends,
>
> quick question:
> Does Google allow apps that have been created with the Community Version of LC?

of course I mean mobile apps for Android.

> Apple does definitively not, as I know.
>

> Best
>
> Klaus
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
No idea? Anyone?

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I don't know. But I see a lot of free apps in the Play Store that are based
on open source libraries. The information might be buried in the developer
term of service docs.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On November 23, 2020 8:27:21 AM Klaus major-k via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No idea? Anyone?
>
>> Am 21.11.2020 um 11:57 schrieb Klaus major-k via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> quick question:
>> Does Google allow apps that have been created with the Community Version of LC?
>>
>> Apple does definitively not, as I know.
>>

>> Best
>>
>> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Jaque,

> Am 23.11.2020 um 18:17 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I don't know. But I see a lot of free apps in the Play Store that are based on open source libraries. The information might be buried in the developer term of service docs.

thank you, so the answer is probably yes. :-)

> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
With the caution that apps made from open source libraries usually can't
charge money. It depends on the license. Libraries aren't the same as
development IDEs.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On November 23, 2020 11:42:26 AM Klaus major-k via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jaque,
>
>> Am 23.11.2020 um 18:17 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I don't know. But I see a lot of free apps in the Play Store that are based
>> on open source libraries. The information might be buried in the developer
>> term of service docs.
>
> thank you, so the answer is probably yes. :-)
>
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Google and OpenSource apps

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Klaus -
> Does Google allow apps that have been created with the Community Version of LC?
>
> Apple does definitively not, as I know.

AFAIK Apple has no policy prohibiting any open source app, provided it
meets their other requirements.

The issue with deploying apps governed specifically by the Gnu Public
License (GPL, which is used for LC Community distribution) has to do
with Apple's limitation on the number of downloads per account.

That restriction is viewed as rendering Apple's ToS logically
incompatible with the freedoms guaranteed in the GPL, which expressly
require no limitations on usage.

AFAIK Google has no such limit on downloads, so their ToS is seen as
compatible with the GPL.

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > With the caution that apps made from open source libraries usually
 > can't charge money. It depends on the license.

Given the range of licenses out there I suppose anything's possible, but
I've never seen an open source license that explicitly prohibits per-use
end-user cost.

The GNU Public License (GPL) governing LC Community Edition expresses no
opinion on costs at all.

Indeed, in the early days of the GPL none other than its inventor,
Richard Stallman, used to sell floppies containing his GPL-governed
utilities (though it was a modest fee, just enough to cover his material
costs and time).

The "free" described in the GPL and other open source licenses isn't
about money ("gratis") but freedom ("libre"). This ambiguity with "free"
is among the many limitations of our language, but few speak Latin so
the license was written in English, with descriptions of how "free"
applies. :)

But although there are no licensing constraints on fees one may charge
for the distribution of a finished software, those who receive the
software do have the right to expect access to the source code at no
additional cost.

And the GPL also grants them the freedom to modify the source code
however they like, and to distribute their modified version and its
source to whomever they like, at any price they like, which can (and use
does) include zero.

So while there's no copyright constraint on charging for open source
works, the restriction is simply pragmatic:

If you build a business model solely on per-user fees, and you choose a
license that allows the user to have access to the source and to
distribute modified versions of it, you will likely sell exactly one
copy, to a user who will exercise those freedoms.

The GPL is an excellent license when your goal is about sharing for
users, and proliferation of derivative works by other developers.

More permissive licenses like MIT may be useful for models benefiting
from open source process and proprietary consumer deployment.

Proprietary licenses may be needed for other business models.

And with LC, they offer three models:

- Community, governed by GPL, favoring sharing.

- Community Plus, a proprietary license for free-as-in-gratis
   deployment to iOS and elsewhere.

- Indy and Business, for proprietary use also allowing per-use
   fee-based distribution.

And as Jacque noted, some bundled components may have their own
licensing restrictions, where only some are dual-licensed and others
proprietary-only - see license and functionality breakdown here:

https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/pricing/

On 11/23/20 11:59 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> The issue with deploying apps governed specifically by the Gnu Public License (GPL, which is
> used for LC Community distribution) has to do with Apple's limitation on the number of
> downloads per account.
>
> That restriction is viewed as rendering Apple's ToS logically incompatible with the freedoms
> guaranteed in the GPL, which expressly require no limitations on usage.

The restriction is only for the number of beta testers though. Is that enough to qualify for
the restriction?

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 11/23/20 11:59 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> The issue with deploying apps governed specifically by the Gnu Public License (GPL, which is
>> used for LC Community distribution) has to do with Apple's limitation on the number of
>> downloads per account.
>>
>> That restriction is viewed as rendering Apple's ToS logically incompatible with the freedoms
>> guaranteed in the GPL, which expressly require no limitations on usage.
>

> The restriction is only for the number of beta testers though. Is that enough to qualify for
> the restriction?

The issue was with customer accounts, not dev accounts, which IIRC are
restricted to a 10-device limit.

On 11/23/20 10:50 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> The "free" described in the GPL and other open source licenses isn't
> about money ("gratis") but freedom ("libre"). This ambiguity with "free"
> is among the many limitations of our language, but few speak Latin so
> the license was written in English, with descriptions of how "free"
> applies. :)

Nadia Eghbal gave and interesting LongNow talk last week on opensource
software maintenance, explaining along the way Jacob Thornton's
distinction between

free as in beer
free as in speech
free as in puppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0pPg-gyX8

and if you've got a free hour, the whole talk is worth the listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnI1nz2CBnI