Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I must be missing something obvious. Why can't I get a mouseup message sent
to a group when clicking in a group where there is no control at the clicked
location? Or is this intended behavior?

Thanks

Ralph DiMola

IT Director

Evergreen Information Services

[hidden email]

Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11

Cell: 518-796-9332

Re: Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Edit the script of the group. If mouseUp is not one of the listed handlers that can be added, then a group does not receive the message directly. If it DOES, then set the background color of the group to 255.255.254. Otherwise it's transparent/unclickable. Otherwise just add an (almost) transparent button behind all the other objects in the group.

Bob S

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 08:34 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I must be missing something obvious. Why can't I get a mouseup message sent
> to a group when clicking in a group where there is no control at the clicked
> location? Or is this intended behavior?
>

> Thanks
>

> Ralph DiMola
>
> IT Director
>
> Evergreen Information Services
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
>
> Cell: 518-796-9332

Re: Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I just checked. The group does not receive mouseUp from the engine. (It doesn't receive closeField either just as an aside. ;-) So I think the almost transparent button at the back of the group will have to be your only option.

Bob S

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 08:44 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Edit the script of the group. If mouseUp is not one of the listed handlers that can be added, then a group does not receive the message directly. If it DOES, then set the background color of the group to 255.255.254. Otherwise it's transparent/unclickable. Otherwise just add an (almost) transparent button behind all the other objects in the group.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 30, 2017, at 08:34 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I must be missing something obvious. Why can't I get a mouseup message sent
>> to a group when clicking in a group where there is no control at the clicked
>> location? Or is this intended behavior?
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Ralph DiMola
>>
>> IT Director
>>
>> Evergreen Information Services
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
>>
>> Cell: 518-796-9332

Re: Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I take that back. Just a transparent button will do. You do not have to mess with the background color.

Bob S

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 08:52 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just checked. The group does not receive mouseUp from the engine. (It doesn't receive closeField either just as an aside. ;-) So I think the almost transparent button at the back of the group will have to be your only option.

Re: Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
That seems like a better idea, anyway, since if you ungroup the objects,
wouldn't you lose the script?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I take that back. Just a transparent button will do. You do not have to
> mess with the background color.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Aug 30, 2017, at 08:52 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I just checked. The group does not receive mouseUp from the engine. (It
> doesn't receive closeField either just as an aside. ;-) So I think the
> almost transparent button at the back of the group will have to be your
> only option.
> >
> > Bob S

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

RE: Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Worked, Thanks!

Another observation. If an image is in a group and you click on a
transparent location in the image the mouseup does not make to the group. It
guess it makes sense for some applications but also does not make sense for
others.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just checked. The group does not receive mouseUp from the engine. (It
doesn't receive closeField either just as an aside. ;-) So I think the
almost transparent button at the back of the group will have to be your only
option.

Re: Group mouseup

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
You could place another transparent button over the top of the image to
catch clicks if necessary.