Hacking RR

mikey-2
Guys,
One of the things I have been strugling to do with RR so far is to
hack it, i.e. to tweak, modify, and otherwise work it over to add
features and the like, in the way that RR's parents/grandparents/etc.
have been in the past.  I haven't been working much in RR until
recently, but now that I have some time I would like to get to it.

Has anybody done much in this regard?  I'm trying to save some
learning curve here.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

RE: Hacking RR

MisterX
Hi Mikey

it's quite easy... just open the message box,

type

open stack "rev<stackname>"

and then you can modify it. Some stacks like the revonline stack are locked
though with password keys.

Others like the documentation are simply locked (cantmodify = true)...

cheers
Xavier

Re: Hacking RR

mikey-2
Xavier,

The question is - how many different stacks are there that make up RR?
 I've been playing with the Properties stack over the last few days,
but I'm having some difficulty with it right now.  It seems to be
relatively touchy, and I'm trying to NOT have to learn some of the
undocumented things.

For example:  I was working on a handler to intercept "c" and "s"
similar to what HC diid.  However, there doesn't seem to be a way to
deterministically figure out which card in the Properties stack will
correspond to the current card/stack/etc.  Currently the Properties
stack contains 69 cards, but writing a generic handler requires that I
understand how it works, which I have not been able to do yet.

The fact that RR is hackable is encouraging, but I'm trying to
shortcut the learning of some of this, so I don't have to spend weeks
trying to read through scripts if possible.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacking RR

Dar Scott

On Nov 11, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Mikey wrote:

> The fact that RR is hackable is encouraging, but I'm trying to
> shortcut the learning of some of this, so I don't have to spend weeks
> trying to read through scripts if possible.

What is it you are trying to learn?

If you are learning how to use the IDE, you can build a few things or
read chapter 3 of the User's Guide.

Dar

RE: Hacking RR

MisterX
Mickey,

if you want a "home" stack script like lib, just create a stack,
add your scripts into it's stack and put it into the backscript.

insert the script of stack homestack into back

Keep the frontscripts only for real need...

note: you can't name a stack "home" I think...

cheers
Xavier

Re: Hacking RR

Shao Sean-2
> However, there doesn't seem to be a way to
> deterministically figure out which card in the Properties stack will
> correspond to the current card/stack/etc.

Actually there is.. We gleaned the following code from out of the Rev
IDE for use in the Languages Library we're currently working on and use
it in our own code

put line 1 of revPropertyPalettes(the selectedObjects) into tPaletteName
if (tPaletteName is EMPTY) then     -- stack
   put revPropertyPalettes(the long name of the topStack) into
tPaletteName
end if

The first line gets a list of palettes associated with the
selectedObjects (can be one or more items selected).
The second line states if the list of palettes returned is empty, that
means a stack was selected. (the selectedObjects is empty when a stack
is selected)
The third line is repeat of the first line, except we're explicitly
asking about the topStack.

For whatever reason Rev uses an object's name instead of it's id (the
merits of using one or the other have been discussed in the past)

Hope that helps,
-Sean

Re: Hacking RR

Shao Sean wrote:

> put line 1 of revPropertyPalettes(the selectedObjects) into tPaletteName
> if (tPaletteName is EMPTY) then     -- stack
>    put revPropertyPalettes(the long name of the topStack) into
> tPaletteName
> end if
>
> The first line gets a list of palettes associated with the
> selectedObjects (can be one or more items selected).

How many palettes are possible?  I've never seen more than one.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Hacking RR

Paul Looney-2
Richard,
If you select different objects while Rev's Property palette is open, the
contents of the palette switch to reflect the currently selected object. Hence
one palette.
But if you use Geoff Canyon's Navigator, you can open a different Rev
Property palette for each object selected - without closing or updating the previous
one. (I don't know what the limit is, I've had as many as five open at a
time.)
Paul Looney

Re: Hacking RR

mikey-2
Thanks, Shao.  That should help get me started.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacking RR

Shao Sean-2
> How many palettes are possible?  I've never seen more than one

Well if you lock the palette to an object you can have as many palettes
as you have objects.. But if you're referring to that bit of code then
I'm going to assume it's because you may have an object selected singly
and in "multiple" objects..

Re: Hacking RR

mikey-2
OK, continuing on the thought of hacking RR, has anybody been able to
save the IDE stacks so that you can pick at them?  Obviously I can do
something like "put the script of stack revTools", but it isn't the
same as being able to actually work on a copy of it.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacking RR

Shao Sean-2
You can work on a duplicate file if you want, it just gets a little
tricky to get it working correctly but it's doable.. We've found it's
better to intercept Rev's messages and work with them that way.. True
it can be a lot more work involved, but it's a little more portable
between systems and versions (not everyone wants something that changes
their IDE stacks).. If you're just working on them for yourself then
just make a backup of the file in your operating system, turn on "Show
Revolution Items" and have fun :-)

Re: Hacking RR

Chipp Walters
Mikey,

IMO, it's never a good thing to modify any of the IDE code. I have many free
(and for sale) plugins for Rev, and none of them ever modify the IDE. You
can always use frontscripts and/or backscripts to get just about anything
done you wish.

best,
Chipp

On 11/11/06, Mikey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
> One of the things I have been strugling to do with RR so far is to
> hack it, i.e. to tweak, modify, and otherwise work it over to add
> features and the like, in the way that RR's parents/grandparents/etc.
> have been in the past.  I haven't been working much in RR until
> recently, but now that I have some time I would like to get to it.
>
> Has anybody done much in this regard?  I'm trying to save some
> learning curve here.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacking RR

mikey-2
Chipp and Shao
I haven't found the location of the IDE stacks yet, although I haven't
performed an exhaustive search, either, so where are they?

I'm not necessarily looking to edit the IDE on a permanent basis -
more like experimenting and poking around for the sake of figuring out
how to backscript-hack what I want to change.

That said, there are certain things in the IDE that I don't like, and
I may consider changing for myself only (development stuff).

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacking RR

Shao Sean-2
Turn on the "Show Revolution Items" in the "Development" menu.. If you
don't have the "Application Browser" open, do so under the "Tools" menu
and then you'll see all the Rev components loaded (note: if you just
started Rev you won't see the Inspector or Script template stacks until
you open one)

Re: Hacking RR

sanke

On Mon Nov 13, Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com wrote:

> Chipp and Shao
> I haven't found the location of the IDE stacks yet, although I haven't
> performed an exhaustive search, either, so where are they?
>
> I'm not necessarily looking to edit the IDE on a permanent basis -
> more like experimenting and poking around for the sake of figuring out
> how to backscript-hack what I want to change.
>
> That said, there are certain things in the IDE that I don't like, and
> I may consider changing for myself only (development stuff).

The IDE stacks are located in folder "toolset", including the visible
"revMenuBar" and "revTools" that appear when you start Revolution. Of
special importance is stack "revlibrary" from which a number of settings
are applied at startup. The front- and backscripts are also inserted
from here (see for example handler "revloadlibraries" in the script of
group "revlibraries" of stack "revlibrary").

-- Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>