Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
It's just over a month away, this year's Hacktoberfest
If you have or know of a LC repo that would appreciate some love, please
put it here, and let's see if we can get some folks involved in
participating in making the LC universe a better place.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, Hacktoberfest is an annual
festival run on Github.  It rewards people who participate by submitting
pull requests (usually 3) with some swag like t-shirts, stickers, etc.

You have to sign up for it for your PR's to qualify.
ANY PR to a public repo qualifies.  So, if you fix some LC documentation
and submit a PR, it counts.  If you fix the way the datagrid handles
scrolling on mobile, it counts.  If you add some badass feature to Levure,
it counts.

Please discuss, here, add a repo and/or an update that you would like to
see to a particular repo (include a link to the repo), and let's see if we
can get a bunch of LC Hackers, this year.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
This year I believe I will have time to participate. Thanks for the
reminder.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:06 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's just over a month away, this year's Hacktoberfest
> If you have or know of a LC repo that would appreciate some love, please
> put it here, and let's see if we can get some folks involved in
> participating in making the LC universe a better place.
>
> In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, Hacktoberfest is an annual
> festival run on Github.  It rewards people who participate by submitting
> pull requests (usually 3) with some swag like t-shirts, stickers, etc.
>
> You have to sign up for it for your PR's to qualify.
> ANY PR to a public repo qualifies.  So, if you fix some LC documentation
> and submit a PR, it counts.  If you fix the way the datagrid handles
> scrolling on mobile, it counts.  If you add some badass feature to Levure,
> it counts.
>
> Please discuss, here, add a repo and/or an update that you would like to
> see to a particular repo (include a link to the repo), and let's see if we
> can get a bunch of LC Hackers, this year.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Mobile:647.562.9411

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

On 8/27/20 9:05 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:

> Please discuss, here, add a repo and/or an update that you would like to
> see to a particular repo (include a link to the repo), and let's see if we
> can get a bunch of LC Hackers, this year.

Kind of an exercise in futility, though, no?
I submitted... let's see... (goes off and counts)... nine pull requests
against LC last October (two for the engine, seven for the IDE) and
they're still sitting in the hopper waiting to be reviewed.
Why bother "fixing" things when nobody's paying attention?

(the above is somewhat rhetorical since I just submitted another PR
earlier today.. not that I expect any action on it)

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hmmmm..... good question Mark...I certainly don't want to do any work thats
going to sit there for a year+

Maybe someone from the mothership can give a yay or nay.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/27/20 9:05 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
>
> > Please discuss, here, add a repo and/or an update that you would like to
> > see to a particular repo (include a link to the repo), and let's see if
> we
> > can get a bunch of LC Hackers, this year.
> >

> Kind of an exercise in futility, though, no?
> I submitted... let's see... (goes off and counts)... nine pull requests
> against LC last October (two for the engine, seven for the IDE) and
> they're still sitting in the hopper waiting to be reviewed.
> Why bother "fixing" things when nobody's paying attention?
>
> (the above is somewhat rhetorical since I just submitted another PR
> earlier today.. not that I expect any action on it)
>
> --
>   Mark Wieder
>   [hidden email]

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Mobile:647.562.9411

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
there isn't any reason why we can't have a fork of the ide that doesn't sit
around waiting for themuns to say "ok".

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 1:36 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm..... good question Mark...I certainly don't want to do any work thats
> going to sit there for a year+
>
> Maybe someone from the mothership can give a yay or nay.
>
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 8/27/20 9:05 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> >
> > > Please discuss, here, add a repo and/or an update that you would like
> > > see to a particular repo (include a link to the repo), and let's see if
> > we
> > > can get a bunch of LC Hackers, this year.
> > >

> > Kind of an exercise in futility, though, no?
> > I submitted... let's see... (goes off and counts)... nine pull requests
> > against LC last October (two for the engine, seven for the IDE) and
> > they're still sitting in the hopper waiting to be reviewed.
> > Why bother "fixing" things when nobody's paying attention?
> >
> > (the above is somewhat rhetorical since I just submitted another PR
> > earlier today.. not that I expect any action on it)
> >
> > --
> >   Mark Wieder
> >   [hidden email]

> Tom Glod
> Founder & Developer
> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
> Mobile:647.562.9411

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > there isn't any reason why we can't have a fork of the ide that
 > doesn't sit around waiting for themuns to say "ok".

I've considered this myself, but maintaining something as complex as
LC's IDE is no small task.  In fact, I'm finding it less time consuming
to replace portions as I need them than to prowl around in that complex
code.

But even if someone had the time for to maintain a fork of the IDE (and
you might get some assistance on that from others if you do), engine
pull requests would still be in queue with the mother ship.  Few in our
community have the C++ skills to do serious work on the engine, and the
GPL license would make using such a community project a non-starter for
most license holders.

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
it's not the engine, it's the ide portion, which is not binary.
in addition, as it is a fork, it would be maintained in parallel with the
LC version, so when LC releases an update, beta or otherwise to the ide,
you would merge it into the fork, and review all the diffs.
in some other projects, the community fork thus becomes the major branch
and the community becomes the major maintainers of the fork.
i'm not saying it's easy, and i am by no means volunteering to do it.  it's
a suggestion for the community to consider:  if we are jointly frustrated
with LC's IDE and the progress it is making, especially in accepting and
integrating PR's, then we do have the option of forking it, perhaps for the
purpose of fast-tracking updates, experimental features, etc.
things that might appeal to an audience of developers:
* PR's issued for open bug reports, e.g. mobile scrolling (PR issued
in...June, I think?)
* Project Browser
* Code folding
* Speed in the script editor
It's not like there aren't multiple independent projects going on that
couldn't make this effort better.  Some of those are:
Navigator
Baker's Assistant
Any of Bernd's proposed SE updates

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:21 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>  > there isn't any reason why we can't have a fork of the ide that
>  > doesn't sit around waiting for themuns to say "ok".
>
> I've considered this myself, but maintaining something as complex as
> LC's IDE is no small task.  In fact, I'm finding it less time consuming
> to replace portions as I need them than to prowl around in that complex
> code.
>
> But even if someone had the time for to maintain a fork of the IDE (and
> you might get some assistance on that from others if you do), engine
> pull requests would still be in queue with the mother ship.  Few in our
> community have the C++ skills to do serious work on the engine, and the
> GPL license would make using such a community project a non-starter for
> most license holders.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
True, focusing on the subset of issues in the IDE, leaving the engine
work to the experts on the core team, would make the work much more
actionable.

The enthusiasm is good to see. I like the vision of a world where we all
share one common engine and language, and have a wide range of IDE
options available, tailored for our tastes and workflows.

If you can find a lead maintainer on this, it may be worth pursuing. But
given the work commitment involved, that may be a big "if".

The nice thing about pinching off corners of IDE functionality in
plugins is that the scope of work is limited to the size of the itch
being scratched.  They're also easier to share than convincing folks to
replace their whole IDE with an alternate one.

But if IDE bugs mount up without workarounds or acceptance long enough,
sooner or later it will become easier to find contributors to replacing
it with a fork.

Like the old saying goes, "Change occurs when the pain of changing is
finally exceeded by the pain of not changing."

Mike Kerner wrote:

> it's not the engine, it's the ide portion, which is not binary.
> in addition, as it is a fork, it would be maintained in parallel with the
> LC version, so when LC releases an update, beta or otherwise to the ide,
> you would merge it into the fork, and review all the diffs.
> in some other projects, the community fork thus becomes the major branch
> and the community becomes the major maintainers of the fork.
> i'm not saying it's easy, and i am by no means volunteering to do it.  it's
> a suggestion for the community to consider:  if we are jointly frustrated
> with LC's IDE and the progress it is making, especially in accepting and
> integrating PR's, then we do have the option of forking it, perhaps for the
> purpose of fast-tracking updates, experimental features, etc.
> things that might appeal to an audience of developers:
> * PR's issued for open bug reports, e.g. mobile scrolling (PR issued
> in...June, I think?)
> * Project Browser
> * Code folding
> * Speed in the script editor
> It's not like there aren't multiple independent projects going on that
> couldn't make this effort better.  Some of those are:
> Navigator
> Baker's Assistant
> Any of Bernd's proposed SE updates
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:21 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>
>> Mike Kerner wrote:
>>
>>  > there isn't any reason why we can't have a fork of the ide that
>>  > doesn't sit around waiting for themuns to say "ok".
>>
>> I've considered this myself, but maintaining something as complex as
>> LC's IDE is no small task.  In fact, I'm finding it less time consuming
>> to replace portions as I need them than to prowl around in that complex
>> code.
>>
>> But even if someone had the time for to maintain a fork of the IDE (and
>> you might get some assistance on that from others if you do), engine
>> pull requests would still be in queue with the mother ship.  Few in our
>> community have the C++ skills to do serious work on the engine, and the
>> GPL license would make using such a community project a non-starter for
>> most license holders.
>>
>> --
>>   Richard Gaskin
>>   Fourth World Systems
>>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
That's really an old saying?? I came up with the saying People don't change until it hurts not to. I thought I was being pithy.

Bob S

> On Sep 3, 2020, at 13:40 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Like the old saying goes, "Change occurs when the pain of changing is finally exceeded by the pain of not changing."
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
it's yours until you get a cease and desist letter.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's really an old saying?? I came up with the saying People don't
> change until it hurts not to. I thought I was being pithy.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Sep 3, 2020, at 13:40 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Like the old saying goes, "Change occurs when the pain of changing is
> finally exceeded by the pain of not changing."
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin
> > Fourth World Systems

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
It's almost here - Hacktoberfest 2020!
And now registration is open
https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com
All you have to do is register, then make a total of four pull requests to
any public repo during the month of October.
Pull requests can be updating LiveCode's documentation, making a
contribution to any of the many liveCode related open source projects, or
for that matter, any open source project on GitHub
If you complete four pull requests, you will be able to choose to receive a
Hacktoberfest 2020 T-shirt or have event organizers plant a tree in your
name.
Read the blog post here :
https://www.digitalocean.com/blog/announcing-hacktoberfest-2020/
Get
HACKING

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:16 AM Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> it's yours until you get a cease and desist letter.
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's really an old saying?? I came up with the saying People don't
>> change until it hurts not to. I thought I was being pithy.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> > On Sep 3, 2020, at 13:40 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Like the old saying goes, "Change occurs when the pain of changing is
>> finally exceeded by the pain of not changing."
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard Gaskin
>> > Fourth World Systems

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Hacktoberfest is coming

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
annnnnnnnnnnnnd it's the first day of hacktoberfest
so get your fingers over to https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com to
register
then make four pull requests during october, and score a free 2020
hacktoberfest t-shirt
update the LC IDE!  improve something in the docs!  make mobile datagrids
work for both scrolling and dragging!
any any any any public repo on github will do

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 7:56 PM Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It's almost here - Hacktoberfest 2020!
> And now registration is open
> https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com
> All you have to do is register, then make a total of four pull requests to
> any public repo during the month of October.
> Pull requests can be updating LiveCode's documentation, making a
> contribution to any of the many liveCode related open source projects, or
> for that matter, any open source project on GitHub
> If you complete four pull requests, you will be able to choose to receive
> a Hacktoberfest 2020 T-shirt or have event organizers plant a tree in your
> name.
> Read the blog post here :
> https://www.digitalocean.com/blog/announcing-hacktoberfest-2020/
> Get
> HACKING
>

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:16 AM Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> it's yours until you get a cease and desist letter.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That's really an old saying?? I came up with the saying People don't
>>> change until it hurts not to. I thought I was being pithy.
>>>
>>> Bob S

>>> finally exceeded by the pain of not changing."

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>    and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."