Hanging from the washing line.

Richmond Mathewson-2
I am using a font that has "descenders" that descend extremely low below
the 'normal' writing
line, and as such gets bottoms of glyphs chopped off in LiveCode textFields.

Is this a problem that can be rectified inwith LiveCode, or do I have to
the font's decender value there?

Re: Hanging from the washing line.

Bob Sneidar-2
I search for textH in the dictionary and find textHeight, a property of a field.

Bob S

On Dec 29, 2016, at 09:01 , Richmond Mathewson <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I am using a font that has "descenders" that descend extremely low below the 'normal' writing
line, and as such gets bottoms of glyphs chopped off in LiveCode textFields.

Is this a problem that can be rectified inwith LiveCode, or do I have to go back to my font editor and change
the font's decender value there?

Re: Hanging from the washing line.

Stephen Barncard-5
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I search for textH in the dictionary and find textHeight, a property of a
> field.

also is your line height set for fixed?

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Hanging from the washing line.

Richmond Mathewson-2
No: the lineHeight is not set to fixed.

Richmond.

On 12/29/16 7:16 pm, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I search for textH in the dictionary and find textHeight, a property of a
>> field.
>>
> also is your line height set for fixed?
>
> --
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: Hanging from the washing line.

Peter Bogdanoff
I tried with a field set to zapfino (the most vertically expansive font I have) 14, text height 6.

I’m seeing that in LC 8.1.2 on Mac, that with the field fixed line height off things look right, showing wide line height and no attenuation. With fixed line height on, LC pushes all the text off the top of the field except for the bottom line and part of the second line from the bottom--where I see the descenders of the upper line overlapping the ascenders of the bottom line. Setting the line height to fixed 30, again pushes the text up off the field except for the last 1 1/2 lines—they are just spaced wider.

LC does have a problem with displaying this kind of text with fixed line height on, but I’m not seeing the chopping off of text, but the pushing text up the top of the field. With fixed line height off, it looks OK.

Peter Bogdanoff

On Dec 29, 2016, at 11:16 AM, Richmond Mathewson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No: the lineHeight is not set to fixed.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 12/29/16 7:16 pm, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I search for textH in the dictionary and find textHeight, a property of a
>>> field.
>>>
>> also is your line height set for fixed?
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
>> mixstream.org

Re: Hanging from the washing line.

Richmond Mathewson-2
The font that Richmond is using is his Devawriter.ttf font that has now
had Grantha conjunct glyphs
in a private use area . . .

Richmond.

On 12/30/16 6:49 pm, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> What is the font Richmond is trying to use? Having played around a lot with fonts in my early Mac days, I became aware that font foundries of lesser repute may not craft their fonts properly. If the line height and leading is not set to accomodate both the tallest ascender and the lowest descender can display incorrectly.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Dec 29, 2016, at 16:38 , Peter Bogdanoff <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> I tried with a field set to zapfino (the most vertically expansive font I have) 14, text height 6.
>
> I’m seeing that in LC 8.1.2 on Mac, that with the field fixed line height off things look right, showing wide line height and no attenuation. With fixed line height on, LC pushes all the text off the top of the field except for the bottom line and part of the second line from the bottom--where I see the descenders of the upper line overlapping the ascenders of the bottom line. Setting the line height to fixed 30, again pushes the text up off the field except for the last 1 1/2 lines—they are just spaced wider.
>
> LC does have a problem with displaying this kind of text with fixed line height on, but I’m not seeing the chopping off of text, but the pushing text up the top of the field. With fixed line height off, it looks OK.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff

Re: Hanging from the washing line.

Richmond Mathewson-2
Bug report 19040

/Do Your Ears Hang Low?//
//Do They Wobble to and Fro?//
//Can You Tie Them in a Knot?//
//Can You Tie Them in a Bow?//
//Can You Throw Them Over Your Shoulder Like a Continental Soldier?/