Hanging indents in LC fields?

Has anyone used livecode’s text formatting commands to create paragraphs with hanging indents (all lines but the first indented)? If so, any clues on how to do it?

Best regards,

Terry...

Re: Hanging indents in LC fields?

You can either set the left margin of the field to some large value like 20, or I believe there is a leftIndent property that you can set for a paragraph. Then set the first indent property of the paragraph to a negative number.

Devin

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 5:15 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anyone used livecode’s text formatting commands to create paragraphs with hanging indents (all lines but the first indented)? If so, any clues on how to do it?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Terry...

Re: Hanging indents in LC fields?

Thanks Devin – the negative first indent works nicely on normal text! Unfortunately I have an added complication in that I’m working with list style lines as well and list behavior seems to override some of the other indenting stuff.

What I’m really trying to do is replace the ‘disc’ character at the start of each list item with an icon (that varies) by setting the imagesource of the first character in the line (separated from the rest of the text by a tab). By setting the listindent of the line to 0 (or the firstindent to a largish negative value) I can get the icon into position but when a line is long enough to wrap its left margin is aligned with the icon rather than to the right of it. I’m trying to shift that wrapped line to the right but it seems pretty resistant to any of my attempts to move it.

Best regards,

Terry...

On 21/03/2017 10:21 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Devin Asay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    You can either set the left margin of the field to some large value like 20, or I believe there is a leftIndent property that you can set for a paragraph. Then set the first indent property of the paragraph to a negative number.

    Devin

    Sent from my iPhone

    > On Mar 20, 2017, at 5:15 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone used livecode’s text formatting commands to create paragraphs with hanging indents (all lines but the first indented)? If so, any clues on how to do it?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Terry...

Re: Hanging indents in LC fields?

You need to set the indent to something positive (like 20) then set the first line indent to 0. Word and other text processors work the same way.

Bob S