Help Testing Small Script Editor Enhancement

Help Testing Small Script Editor Enhancement

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I’m looking for testing help. The work I did is for MacOS but I would love Linux and Windows users to also try out the changes looking for side effects. I don’t have the resources to perform adequate testing of the changes and need a little help before I submit my pull request.

The enhancement is for MacOS Users enabling control+tab to cycle the tabs in the script editor (command-tab is OS reserved on MacOS). I’m not going to go into how to apply the fix but this should be attempted only by more advanced users. The code works on 9.0.0dp8 ONLY. Some re-factoring of the SE has gone on so this fix is for 9dp8 only.

You can see my proposed changes on Github at:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix/20096?expand=1 <https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix/20096?expand=1>

For anyone who takes the time to install these changes especially on Linux/Windows I thank you!!!!!!!

Bob Hall

Re: Help Testing Small Script Editor Enhancement

On 07/16/2017 08:47 AM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:
> I’m looking for testing help. The work I did is for MacOS but I would love Linux and Windows users to also try out the changes looking for side effects. I don’t have the resources to perform adequate testing of the changes and need a little help before I submit my pull request.
>
> The enhancement is for MacOS Users enabling control+tab to cycle the tabs in the script editor (command-tab is OS reserved on MacOS). I’m not going to go into how to apply the fix but this should be attempted only by more advanced users. The code works on 9.0.0dp8 ONLY. Some re-factoring of the SE has gone on so this fix is for 9dp8 only.
>
> You can see my proposed changes on Github at:
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix/20096?expand=1 <https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix/20096?expand=1>

Work fine here after patching LC9dp8.
Linux Mint 17.2 cinnamon (control-tab to cycle)

On 7/16/17 2:11 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 07/16/2017 08:47 AM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:
>> The enhancement is for MacOS Users enabling control+tab to cycle the
>> tabs in the script editor (command-tab is OS reserved on MacOS). I’m
>> not going to go into how to apply the fix but this should be attempted
>> only by more advanced users. The code works on 9.0.0dp8 ONLY. Some
>> re-factoring of the SE has gone on so this fix is for 9dp8 only.
>>
>> You can see my proposed changes on Github at:
>> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix/20096?expand=1
>> <https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/compare/develop...bhall2001:bugfix/20096?expand=1>
>>

> Work fine here after patching LC9dp8.
> Linux Mint 17.2 cinnamon (control-tab to cycle)

This is going to totally screw up a macro I've been using for 15+ years.
I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but if this gets officially
implemented I hope there's an option to turn it off, or supply your own
key combination.

I use control-tab to switch between edit and browse mode because the
built-in combo is impossible for me to reach comfortably. You can
imagine how ingrained that is by now. Please give us some control over
the behavior.

On 07/16/2017 12:37 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> This is going to totally screw up a macro I've been using for 15+ years.
> I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but if this gets officially
> implemented I hope there's an option to turn it off, or supply your own
> key combination.
>
> I use control-tab to switch between edit and browse mode because the
> built-in combo is impossible for me to reach comfortably. You can
> imagine how ingrained that is by now. Please give us some control over
> the behavior.

I do the same in PowerTools. No problem.

The patch is implemented in a behavior script of the script editor, so
unless you're trying to switch modes while the editor is in front
there's no conflict. I was worried about that too, so it was the first
thing I tested.

On 7/16/17 2:50 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 07/16/2017 12:37 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> This is going to totally screw up a macro I've been using for 15+
>> years. I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but if this gets
>> officially implemented I hope there's an option to turn it off, or
>> supply your own key combination.
>>
>> I use control-tab to switch between edit and browse mode because the
>> built-in combo is impossible for me to reach comfortably. You can
>> imagine how ingrained that is by now. Please give us some control over
>> the behavior.
>>

> I do the same in PowerTools. No problem.
>
> The patch is implemented in a behavior script of the script editor, so
> unless you're trying to switch modes while the editor is in front
> there's no conflict. I was worried about that too, so it was the first
> thing I tested.

I suppose I could live with that. As it is now, switching to browse mode
with the script editor in focus brings the defaultstack to the front
automatically and you're set to go. I didn't set that up myself, so I
assumed it was part of the IDE. I guess I could click the stack manually.

I wonder if any others would be affected by the change.

Re: Help Testing Small Script Editor Enhancement

Mark Wieder via use-livecode

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 3:37 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> This is going to totally screw up a macro I've been using for 15+ years. I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but if this gets officially implemented I hope there's an option to turn it off, or supply your own key combination.

LOL. I haven’t been using the control-tab for 15 years to switch between edit and run modes. However, I had been using it for 3 years. Yes it was painful for me to switch my favorite key sequence. But it had to be done.

The control-tab “fix” I’m proposing will only effect MacOS users and I would not expect Linux or Windows users to be effected at all by the MacOS control-tab. If you are on Linux/Windows it should not matter whether the Script Editor is top window or not.

I don’t expect an easy adoption of this “new” key combination by Livecode. If adopted, I would also not expect an option to turn it on/off or change the combo as the behavior is considered to be a standard key combo of MacOS, right?

If you are using control-tab with a custom macro, see if control-` might work for you. If not, possibly option-tab?

Bob

On 7/16/17 3:33 PM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2017, at 3:37 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> This is going to totally screw up a macro I've been using for 15+ years. I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but if this gets officially implemented I hope there's an option to turn it off, or supply your own key combination.
>>

> LOL. I haven’t been using the control-tab for 15 years to switch between edit and run modes. However, I had been using it for 3 years. Yes it was painful for me to switch my favorite key sequence. But it had to be done.
>
> The control-tab “fix” I’m proposing will only effect MacOS users and I would not expect Linux or Windows users to be effected at all by the MacOS control-tab. If you are on Linux/Windows it should not matter whether the Script Editor is top window or not.
>
> I don’t expect an easy adoption of this “new” key combination by Livecode. If adopted, I would also not expect an option to turn it on/off or change the combo as the behavior is considered to be a standard key combo of MacOS, right?
>
> If you are using control-tab with a custom macro, see if control-` might work for you. If not, possibly option-tab?

I used Cmd-tab for 20 years, which was the HC standard before LC, and
painfully switched to Control-tab when Apple stole that key combo from
us. I don't want to do that again.

But since the change only affects the script editor, it isn't as drastic
as I was afraid of.

On 07/16/2017 01:33 PM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:

> The control-tab “fix” I’m proposing will only effect MacOS users and I would not expect Linux or Windows users to be effected at all by the MacOS control-tab. If you are on Linux/Windows it should not matter whether the Script Editor is top window or not.

Well, as I noted, it *does* affect linux, but not in a bad way.
Control-tab continues to iterate through the tabs as long as the script
editor is in front, and continues to switch modes when it's not.

Re: Help Testing Small Script Editor Enhancement

Mark Wieder via use-livecode

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 6:01 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, as I noted, it *does* affect linux, but not in a bad way. Control-tab continues to iterate through the tabs as long as the script editor is in front, and continues to switch modes when it's not.

That’s a bug that I need to address. I missed the point Mark W. made that control-tab cycled through the tabs on Linux. That should not happen with the Linux SE. My intent is that only MacOS SE users would have the option.

I’m in the process of getting a Debian system up on a VM to see what’s going on. I’ll go through my code and figure out what I need to fix this so it works as I intended. Thanks Mark for finding this.

Bob

On 07/16/2017 03:50 PM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2017, at 6:01 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, as I noted, it *does* affect linux, but not in a bad way. Control-tab continues to iterate through the tabs as long as the script editor is in front, and continues to switch modes when it's not.
>
> That’s a bug that I need to address. I missed the point Mark W. made that control-tab cycled through the tabs on Linux. That should not happen with the Linux SE. My intent is that only MacOS SE users would have the option.
>
> I’m in the process of getting a Debian system up on a VM to see what’s going on. I’ll go through my code and figure out what I need to fix this so it works as I intended. Thanks Mark for finding this.

Er... wait... what?... I wasn't reporting a bug.
Everything works the way I thought it would.
Control-tab cycles through tabs with and without the patch, and the
patch doesn't interfere with switching modes when the script editor
isn't in the foreground.