Help: script works fine in dev not in standalone

Help: script works fine in dev not in standalone

Emilio Gagliardi
Hi all,

I've run into a weird problem I'm not sure how to search the archives
for.
I have a parent stack that loads a sub stack.  I need to have data
pass between them so I used the following command to open the child
from the parent:

go to stack "/root/folder/child_stack.rev" as toplevel

In development mode, this code works fine and the code in
child_stack.rev runs as expected.  However, when I compile these .REV
files to standalone apps, the code in the child_stack doesn't work.

The code in the child_stack is simple.  I create a set of buttons
with mouseMove/mouseUp commands so that they can be dragged around
the screen.  I'm attaching the code in the buttons if that helps.
The behavior in standalone mode is that everything is visible, but
the mouseMove doesn't seem to fire.  Also, the ctrl+shift+option key
command doesn't seem to work either.

I guess this leads to a more general question, one that i asked a few
days ago, but obviously didn't quite figure out, and that is, I need
an application to load sub stacks.  I need the sub stack to perform
some non-interruptible task, and then pass control back to the parent
stack.  They need to share data.  is it silly to compile the parent
stack and leave all sub stacks as .rev files?

any advice is appreciated.

Emilio

Re: Help: script works fine in dev not in standalone

Bob Hartley
You wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi there

> I've run into a weird problem I'm not sure how to search the archives for.
> I have a parent stack that loads a sub stack.  I need to have data pass
> between them so I used the following command to open the child from the
> parent:
>
> go to stack "/root/folder/child_stack.rev" as toplevel

OK ther emay be a fielpath problem in the standalone. Does the
child_stack.rev open?

If not you can create it dynamically.

> In development mode, this code works fine and the code in child_stack.rev
> runs as expected.  However, when I compile these .REV files to standalone
> apps, the code in the child_stack doesn't work.
>
> The code in the child_stack is simple.  I create a set of buttons with
> mouseMove/mouseUp commands so that they can be dragged around the screen.
> I'm attaching the code in the buttons if that helps. The behavior in
> standalone mode is that everything is visible, but the mouseMove doesn't
> seem to fire.  Also, the ctrl+shift+option key command doesn't seem to
> work either.

To move the buttons around the screen simply use

on mouseDown
    if the controlKey is down then
      grab me
      end if
end mouseDown

> I guess this leads to a more general question, one that i asked a few days
> ago, but obviously didn't quite figure out, and that is, I need an
> application to load sub stacks.  I need the sub stack to perform some
> non-interruptible task, and then pass control back to the parent stack.
> They need to share data.  is it silly to compile the parent stack and
> leave all sub stacks as .rev files?

No this is not silly, however, you may want to have some things declared as
"globals" in the standalone and then call the holder or function from the
.rev file. This could be one of the problems in the stack navigation.

All the best
Bob

> any advice is appreciated.
>
> Emilio

Re: Help: script works fine in dev not in standalone

Sarah Reichelt
> I've run into a weird problem I'm not sure how to search the
> archives for.
> I have a parent stack that loads a sub stack.  I need to have data
> pass between them so I used the following command to open the child
> from the parent:
>
> go to stack "/root/folder/child_stack.rev" as toplevel
>
> In development mode, this code works fine and the code in
> child_stack.rev runs as expected.  However, when I compile
> these .REV files to standalone apps, the code in the child_stack
> doesn't work.
>
> The code in the child_stack is simple.  I create a set of buttons
> with mouseMove/mouseUp commands so that they can be dragged around
> the screen.  I'm attaching the code in the buttons if that helps.
> The behavior in standalone mode is that everything is visible, but
> the mouseMove doesn't seem to fire.  Also, the ctrl+shift+option
> key command doesn't seem to work either.

Does this rely on scripts that are in the parent stack? If so, you
may need to:
     start using stack "Parent"
so that it's scripts are available to the child stack(s).

> I guess this leads to a more general question, one that i asked a
> few days ago, but obviously didn't quite figure out, and that is, I
> need an application to load sub stacks.  I need the sub stack to
> perform some non-interruptible task, and then pass control back to
> the parent stack.  They need to share data.  is it silly to compile
> the parent stack and leave all sub stacks as .rev files?

NO, I don't think it is silly to do it this way as it makes updating
very easy. I have a major application that hasn't been re-built for
about 10 months, but it has about 20 separate sub-stacks that have
had numerous updates. However, you may wish to make the stack opening
stack very simple. Just give it a single button that asks for a stack
and opens it. Then have your next stack file have 2 stacks, with the
mainStack opening one of it's own substacks as a modal dialog.

HTH,
Sarah