Hidden point technique to mask an image

Alejandro Tejada
Hi all,

on May 10, 2010
Sott Rossi posted
in the message thread titled:
"Object is not an image when Crop command"
Recently, JosepM wrote:

> I understand you but I don't know the
> "hidden point" technique :)
> Where add a space in the polygon's list?

A polygon is derived from a list of points,
one per line:

23,181
42,190
36,195
23,181

Adding an empty line between points in the list
adds an invisible point to the polygon that changes
the polygon's dimensions without adding to the fill
or stroke of the polygon.

5,181

23,181
42,190
36,195
23,181

Using this technique, one could establish the
*physical* topleft of a polygon to occur at
one location while the *visible* topleft of the
polygon occurs at a different location.

Recently, i tried to use this technique, but the
polygon graphic get filled in the wrong places
and the selection area of the graphic grows
too much.

Probably the wrong fill is a side effect of applying
the new property named fillRule:
http://docs.runrev.com/Property/fillRule

I will be very grateful if some of you could post
a stack that demostrate this technique and test
the fillRule property with this background
filled polygon graphic.

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: Hidden point technique to mask an image

ScottR
Hi Alejandro:

I'm not clear on what issue you're seeing from your email, but maybe this
stack will help (in your message box):

go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/disconpoints.rev"

You will see the visible portion of the polygon occupies less space than its
real rect, shown by the border (toggle on/off).

I believe the original thread below was a consideration of this technique to
mask images.  A masking example stack is available here:

go url
"http://www.tactilemedia.com/site_files/downloads/masking_options.rev"

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Recently, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on May 10, 2010
> Sott Rossi posted
> in the message thread titled:
> "Object is not an image when Crop command"
> Recently, JosepM wrote:
>
>> I understand you but I don't know the
>> "hidden point" technique :)
>> Where add a space in the polygon's list?
>
> A polygon is derived from a list of points,
> one per line:
>
> 23,181
> 42,190
> 36,195
> 23,181
>
> Adding an empty line between points in the list
> adds an invisible point to the polygon that changes
> the polygon's dimensions without adding to the fill
> or stroke of the polygon.
>
> 5,181
>
> 23,181
> 42,190
> 36,195
> 23,181
>
> Using this technique, one could establish the
> *physical* topleft of a polygon to occur at
> one location while the *visible* topleft of the
> polygon occurs at a different location.
>
> Recently, i tried to use this technique, but the
> polygon graphic get filled in the wrong places
> and the selection area of the graphic grows
> too much.
>
> Probably the wrong fill is a side effect of applying
> the new property named fillRule:
> http://docs.runrev.com/Property/fillRule
>
> I will be very grateful if some of you could post
> a stack that demostrate this technique and test
> the fillRule property with this background
> filled polygon graphic.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

Re: Hidden point technique to mask an image

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Scott,

Now, after downloading your example,
i understand that there is no need to