How To Become Android Developer

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Can someone please update the lesson How to Become an Android Developer? On the Livecode site.

1) Load JAVA SDK – (JDK) – Takes you to JAVA SE 10.0.1
        - which I believe in incompatible with LC.

java SE 8u171/ 8u172. Works, but there is no mentioned about that the Lesson.

Anyway. Got it stalled.

2) Android SDK

The link for the Android Studio page.
 For the SDK only options, we find

sdk-tools-darwin-3859397.zip

Hanson says to get, in the lesson, "android-sdk_r090-macosx.zip:

Hanson says " The current version of the SDK Tools is not compatible with LiveCode. Please download version 24.4.1."   Looking on the internet for "android SDK 24.4.1" only to find links... that take back the Android Studio page.. with no options other than sdk-tools-darwin-3859397.zip.

OK so I download that....

But there was no "android-sdk-mac/tools/android" file to run

ever I did find what it need, can we trust the lesson on what packages to install? If seems way out of data.

Now I'm stuck...searching the mailing list

RE: How To Become Android Developer

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
BR,

This works for me.

For JDK:
JDK 1.8.0_121

Android Dev SDK:
Just download only the platform tools not the entire dev platform.
In the "android" utility

Under Tools install:
Android SDK Tools 25.2.5
Android SDK Platform-tools 27.0.1
Android SDK Build-tools 27.0.3

Under Android 4.4.2 (API 19) install:
SDK Platform v4
Google APIs v20 (don’t know if you need this one)

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Re: How To Become Android Developer

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi all,

The older versions of Android SDK Tools now are a bit difficult to find, as
they are well-hidden in Google's archives.

If e.g. you need version 24.4 (which I confirm works as expected), try
these links, depending on the platform you are:

http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r24.4-windows.zip
http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r24.4-macosx.zip
http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r24.4-linux.zip

Best,
Panos

On 5/29/18 3:36 PM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
> BR,
>
> This works for me.
>
> For JDK:
> JDK 1.8.0_121

I've got 1.8.0_152 which also works. I'd guess any 1.8 version would
probably be okay. BR: I told you "8" but I should have said "1.8".

Re: How To Become Android Developer

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi

I have it working with:

The Android SDK via https://dl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r25.2.3-
windows.zip
and using jdk-8u162-windows-x64.exe which can be downloaded from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html

Simon

Carpe diem

*Simon Smith*
m. +27 83 306 7862

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:42 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/29/18 3:36 PM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> BR,
>>
>> This works for me.
>>
>> For JDK:
>> JDK 1.8.0_121
>>

> I've got 1.8.0_152 which also works. I'd guess any 1.8 version would
> probably be okay. BR: I told you "8" but I should have said "1.8".

Re: How To Become Android Developer

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
FOR WHAT ITS WORTH:

It turns out I was working too hard. The  folder "android-sdk-macosx" which is assembled online by the "tools." I could not get it work. But I had jdk1.8.0_172.jdk. installed

So:

1) turns out that  folder "android-sdk-macosx" in completely independent of the system.

BUT

2) is "married" to  the JDK that you have installed

So, I thought "sheesh, just get a copy  from your backup, and uninstall the JDK and get the one you had before"

So unInstalled jdk1.8.0_172.jdk.
Installed  jdk1.8.0_171.jdk

Copied "android-sdk-macosx" from back up to my current "app-development" folder

Then in terminal ./adb start-server; ./adb devices

There was my Pixel! And in 8.1.10, mobile preference was happy! (It gave me error before)

Disclaimer: I don't what I am doing. This comes the house of WHEW (WHatEverWorks). And, this should be easier... God Help the newbie Android developers

Good to fix the LiveCode lesson on this asap!

Brahmanathaswami