How do I codesign an App?

Wprothero
Hi, I am rebuilding an app because it throws security violations when downloaded from my web site. It says it is from an unknown developer, and my users can’t launch it.

Ok, so how the heck do I codesign the app? I’m using LC 8.1.1. There is a place in standalone preferences for “signature”, which is set to ????? by default. I have created certificates in the developer’s center for 3rd party apps, that expire in 2017, according to keychain.

This is sooo frustrating, as it must be something everybody who develops Mac apps has to do. Or, perhaps I’m missing something very obvious.

I had hoped to finish this upgrade today and all that remains is the code signing process.

Could someone point me to the place where I can implement this?

Best,
Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Wprothero
By the way, I purchased App Wrapper3 a year ago and after discussions with its author, I wasn’t able to get it working correctly. I don’t know if it’s fixed yet, but I hate to spend the money on something that doesn’t work.

Shouldn’t Livecode help with this?
Bill

> On Oct 25, 2016, at 2:09 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am rebuilding an app because it throws security violations when downloaded from my web site. It says it is from an unknown developer, and my users can’t launch it.
>
> Ok, so how the heck do I codesign the app? I’m using LC 8.1.1. There is a place in standalone preferences for “signature”, which is set to ????? by default. I have created certificates in the developer’s center for 3rd party apps, that expire in 2017, according to keychain.
>
> This is sooo frustrating, as it must be something everybody who develops Mac apps has to do. Or, perhaps I’m missing something very obvious.
>
> I had hoped to finish this upgrade today and all that remains is the code signing process.
>
> Could someone point me to the place where I can implement this?
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero, Ph.D.
> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Wprothero
Well, I purchased a month of App Wrapper 3.

The only complaint in the App Wrapper log is that is is not Sandboxed and Apple will reject it.

App Wrapper indicates that the app and installer are successfully signed, but that Apple will reject it because it is not sandboxed.

My problem is that the file is downloaded from a web site and it won’t launch unless the user unsets their security settings. Is the problem that it is not sandboxed and, if so, how do I sandbox it? I do write to a file outside of the app folder. Do I really need to sandbox the app?

Best,
Bill

> On Oct 25, 2016, at 2:29 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> By the way, I purchased App Wrapper3 a year ago and after discussions with its author, I wasn’t able to get it working correctly. I don’t know if it’s fixed yet, but I hate to spend the money on something that doesn’t work.
>
> Shouldn’t Livecode help with this?
> Bill
>
>> On Oct 25, 2016, at 2:09 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I am rebuilding an app because it throws security violations when downloaded from my web site. It says it is from an unknown developer, and my users can’t launch it.
>>
>> Ok, so how the heck do I codesign the app? I’m using LC 8.1.1. There is a place in standalone preferences for “signature”, which is set to ????? by default. I have created certificates in the developer’s center for 3rd party apps, that expire in 2017, according to keychain.
>>
>> This is sooo frustrating, as it must be something everybody who develops Mac apps has to do. Or, perhaps I’m missing something very obvious.
>>
>> I had hoped to finish this upgrade today and all that remains is the code signing process.
>>
>> Could someone point me to the place where I can implement this?
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero, Ph.D.
>> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: How do I codesign an App?

tbodine
It is VERY frustrating, though I was able to get codesigning to work earlier this year using AppWrapper 3.

But even with successful signing, Apple manages to rub salt into the wound with this bug.... If you codesign for Mac as a third party developer for distribution outside of the app store, then people installing it may still get a message that says "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". Unidentified? WTF!

There is a simple workaround for downloaders willing to stick with it. What I did was document the workaround in a pdf and put that right next to my Mac download link. Here it is: https://www.gameshowpresenter.com/MacOpenError.pdf

I don't know if the latest MacOS has fixed this bug or not. I assume it's a bug, but it feel like a punishment for those who venture outside the walled garden.

-- Tom Bodine

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Trevor DeVore
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM, tbodine <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> But even with successful signing, Apple manages to rub salt into the wound
> with this bug.... If you codesign for Mac as a third party developer for
> distribution outside of the app store, then people installing it may still
> get a message that says "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified
> developer". Unidentified? WTF!

You can sign an app that will download from your own website and install
without any issues. I’ve done it with a number of apps.

Monte and I put together some code that code signs an executable. It is
used in the code that packages up an app built with the GLX App Framework.
The code could be pulled out and used independently of the framework
packager though. It is a simple call that looks like this:

signAndStrip thePathToAppBundle, theCertificateName, isMAS

It would be great to have the IDE handle this when people build
applications but right now the code I have will only run on OS X. Maybe
that isn’t a big issue though.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Wprothero
Trevor:
Thanks a bunch! I haven’t played with the GLX App Framework, but I will and use that code. This is something that really needs to be in the IDE. Its SUCH a common thing to do and can be so frustrating.

The other problem I get into is having a bunch of certificates that don’t work and I can’t seem to figure which one to use. I try them all, so… Anyway, the signing code looks like a natural for the IDE.

Best,
Bill

> On Oct 25, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM, tbodine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> But even with successful signing, Apple manages to rub salt into the wound
>> with this bug.... If you codesign for Mac as a third party developer for
>> distribution outside of the app store, then people installing it may still
>> get a message that says "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified
>> developer". Unidentified? WTF!
>>

> You can sign an app that will download from your own website and install
> without any issues. I’ve done it with a number of apps.
>
> Monte and I put together some code that code signs an executable. It is
> used in the code that packages up an app built with the GLX App Framework.
> The code could be pulled out and used independently of the framework
> packager though. It is a simple call that looks like this:
>
> signAndStrip thePathToAppBundle, theCertificateName, isMAS
>
> It would be great to have the IDE handle this when people build
> applications but right now the code I have will only run on OS X. Maybe
> that isn’t a big issue though.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com
Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Graham Samuel-4
I really believe that it would boost LC in the marketplace if it could offer comprehensive and up-to-date advice about deployment. Software design and coding is one thing (and for me, LC is pretty much the ideal platform for it - anyone can code!) but it is of very limited use if one can’t publish apps in the real world, not only on Macs, but Windows, iOS, Android… (and I dare say Linux, but I don’t know anything about that world).

It seems to me that Apple make it really difficult for developers to produce stuff that ‘just works’ in their environments (OSX, iOS), but they are not the only ones. To take a simple example, I have a Windows app that gives a warning every single time it is launched.

If I had more skill, I would attempt some level of assistance on this (“The LiveCode Deployment Manual”) but for now I just have to pick up scraps like everyone else.

Anyone up for that project? It would have to be associated with Commercial LiveCode, since those that want to make money out of apps will be using those versions.

Hoping against hope.

Graham

> On 26 Oct 2016, at 02:33, Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM, tbodine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> But even with successful signing, Apple manages to rub salt into the wound
>> with this bug.... If you codesign for Mac as a third party developer for
>> distribution outside of the app store, then people installing it may still
>> get a message that says "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified
>> developer". Unidentified? WTF!
>>

> You can sign an app that will download from your own website and install
> without any issues. I’ve done it with a number of apps.
>
> Monte and I put together some code that code signs an executable. It is
> used in the code that packages up an app built with the GLX App Framework.
> The code could be pulled out and used independently of the framework
> packager though. It is a simple call that looks like this:
>
> signAndStrip thePathToAppBundle, theCertificateName, isMAS
>
> It would be great to have the IDE handle this when people build
> applications but right now the code I have will only run on OS X. Maybe
> that isn’t a big issue though.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com

AW: How do I codesign an App?

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Hi Bill,

the security message is just the new default setting since 10.10 or so. Your user can download, install and run your app, even if it is not signed, he only has to change the security setting in his system settings once for installing your app or in general.

If you want to sign your app, there are multiple ways, Livecode (and its standalone settings) is none of them. You can use a tool, like AppWrapper, which also does signing your app, or you can do it pure via terminal with:

Codesign -s "Your-Certificate-ID" --deep --force yourAppPath

Hope this helps
Tiemo

Hi, I am rebuilding an app because it throws security violations when downloaded from my web site. It says it is from an unknown developer, and my users can’t launch it.

Ok, so how the heck do I codesign the app? I’m using LC 8.1.1. There is a place in standalone preferences for “signature”, which is set to ????? by default. I have created certificates in the developer’s center for 3rd party apps, that expire in 2017, according to keychain.

This is sooo frustrating, as it must be something everybody who develops Mac apps has to do. Or, perhaps I’m missing something very obvious.

I had hoped to finish this upgrade today and all that remains is the code signing process.

Could someone point me to the place where I can implement this?

Best,
Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus [hidden email]

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Graham Samuel-4
Hmmm - I would like to start by understanding the why, what and where of certificates…

Graham

> On 26 Oct 2016, at 11:20, Tiemo Hollmann TB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> the security message is just the new default setting since 10.10 or so. Your user can download, install and run your app, even if it is not signed, he only has to change the security setting in his system settings once for installing your app or in general.
>
> If you want to sign your app, there are multiple ways, Livecode (and its standalone settings) is none of them. You can use a tool, like AppWrapper, which also does signing your app, or you can do it pure via terminal with:
>
> Codesign -s "Your-Certificate-ID" --deep --force yourAppPath
>
> Hope this helps
> Tiemo

Thierry Douez

> Hmmm - I would like to start by understanding the why, what and where of
> certificates…
>
> Graham

​Hello Graham, was a long time :)

http://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Security/Conceptual/CodeSigningGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

Does this help?

Thierry

> > On 26 Oct 2016, at 11:20, Tiemo Hollmann TB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > the security message is just the new default setting since 10.10 or so.
> Your user can download, install and run your app, even if it is not signed,
> he only has to change the security setting in his system settings once for
> installing your app or in general.
> >
> > If you want to sign your app, there are multiple ways, Livecode (and its
> standalone settings) is none of them. You can use a tool, like AppWrapper,
> which also does signing your app, or you can do it pure via terminal with:
> >
> > Codesign -s "Your-Certificate-ID" --deep --force yourAppPath
> >
> > Hope this helps
> > Tiemo

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Trevor DeVore
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Trevor:
> Thanks a bunch! I haven’t played with the GLX App Framework, but I will
> and use that code. This is something that really needs to be in the IDE.
> Its SUCH a common thing to do and can be so frustrating.
>
> The other problem I get into is having a bunch of certificates that don’t
> work and I can’t seem to figure which one to use. I try them all, so…
> Anyway, the signing code looks like a natural for the IDE.

Here is a gist with the code for a script-only stack that will codesign a
LiveCode application:

https://gist.github.com/trevordevore/3e91724c4573690b691510d2e2dcd2a7

Save the text in the gist to a file named “signOSXApplication.livecode”
then open the file in LiveCode (I tested in 8.1.1). Steps:

1) Click the Sign Application button
2) Select an application bundle that you built with LiveCode
3) Enter your certificate name. Just enter the part that is unique to you.
For example, I enter “Blue Mango Learning Systems”. My keychain has entries
like “Developer ID Application: Blue Mango Learning Systems” and “3rd Party
Mac Developer Application: Blue Mango Learning Systems”. The code will add
the appropriate prefix.

The log field will show what is going on.

I tested with a simple app built from LiveCode on macOS Sierra. Last week I
had to add some additional code to the signing process to accommodate
Sierra. If you run into problems on other platforms we may need to comment
out the xattr call on line 60.

Let me know how it goes.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps
www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Graham Samuel-4
Hi Thierry

I’m glad we’re both still here! Yes, that’s useful stuff, thank you very much. I will see if I can actually get a certificate or two and use Trevor’s code to deploy it/them. If all that works, then I have to try to understand what the equivalent thing is on Windows. I note that the article says in effect that codesigning is an Apple technology, but AFAIK it’s not, but more an industry-wide sort of thing, isn’t it? Certainly there are certificates in some web technologies as I occasionally get (and often ignore) warnings about ones that have expired…

Anyway yes it does help, thanks again.

Cheers

Graham

> On 26 Oct 2016, at 11:47, Thierry Douez <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hmmm - I would like to start by understanding the why, what and where of
>> certificates…
>>
>> Graham
>>

> ​Hello Graham, was a long time :)
>
> http://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Security/Conceptual/CodeSigningGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html
>
> Does this help?
>
> Thierry
>
> ​
>

>>> On 26 Oct 2016, at 11:20, Tiemo Hollmann TB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> the security message is just the new default setting since 10.10 or so.
>> Your user can download, install and run your app, even if it is not signed,
>> he only has to change the security setting in his system settings once for
>> installing your app or in general.
>>>
>>> If you want to sign your app, there are multiple ways, Livecode (and its
>> standalone settings) is none of them. You can use a tool, like AppWrapper,
>> which also does signing your app, or you can do it pure via terminal with:
>>>
>>> Codesign -s "Your-Certificate-ID" --deep --force yourAppPath
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>> Tiemo

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Paul Dupuis
Isn't code signing platform specific? Meaning, don't you have to code
sign a OSX Standalone on OSX and code sign a Windows standalone on Windows?

I would eagerly second adding code signing to the IDE if it could be
done cross platform. I.e. if I develop under Windows, I could sign the
OSX and Windows standalones I build OR if I develop under OSX, I could
code sign BOTH the Windows and OSX standalones (with different
certificates of course)

I'd even chip in money to a Livecode Feature Exchange for this ability.

Currently, I develop under Windows, build a Windows and OSX standalones,
code sign the Windows standalone via the command line interface, move
the OSX standalone over to an OSX system and code sign it there via
AppWrapper (and I use AppWrapper because Apple code signing through
Xcode is way too complicated!) I'd love to be able to drop both
certificate files into a LiveCode folder and have it just sign for both
platforms.

On 10/26/2016 8:39 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Trevor:
>> Thanks a bunch! I haven’t played with the GLX App Framework, but I will
>> and use that code. This is something that really needs to be in the IDE.
>> Its SUCH a common thing to do and can be so frustrating.
>>
>> The other problem I get into is having a bunch of certificates that don’t
>> work and I can’t seem to figure which one to use. I try them all, so…
>> Anyway, the signing code looks like a natural for the IDE.
>>
> Here is a gist with the code for a script-only stack that will codesign a
> LiveCode application:
>
> https://gist.github.com/trevordevore/3e91724c4573690b691510d2e2dcd2a7
>
> Save the text in the gist to a file named “signOSXApplication.livecode”
> then open the file in LiveCode (I tested in 8.1.1). Steps:
>
> 1) Click the Sign Application button
> 2) Select an application bundle that you built with LiveCode
> 3) Enter your certificate name. Just enter the part that is unique to you.
> For example, I enter “Blue Mango Learning Systems”. My keychain has entries
> like “Developer ID Application: Blue Mango Learning Systems” and “3rd Party
> Mac Developer Application: Blue Mango Learning Systems”. The code will add
> the appropriate prefix.
>
> The log field will show what is going on.
>
> I tested with a simple app built from LiveCode on macOS Sierra. Last week I
> had to add some additional code to the signing process to accommodate
> Sierra. If you run into problems on other platforms we may need to comment
> out the xattr call on line 60.
>
> Let me know how it goes.

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Trevor DeVore
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m glad we’re both still here! Yes, that’s useful stuff, thank you very
> much. I will see if I can actually get a certificate or two and use
> Trevor’s code to deploy it/them. If all that works, then I have to try to
> understand what the equivalent thing is on Windows. I note that the article
> says in effect that codesigning is an Apple technology, but AFAIK it’s not,
> but more an industry-wide sort of thing, isn’t it? Certainly there are
> certificates in some web technologies as I occasionally get (and often
> ignore) warnings about ones that have expired…

I have some instructions for getting certificates and code signing here:

http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/s/revolution/m/10695

The Windows instructions should still work. The OS X ones may be out of
date but perhaps they may still help.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps
www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Graham Samuel-4
Great, thanks. And I second Paul Dupuis’ plea to get this stuff woven into LC. All part of easing deployment (my continued obsession).

Graham

> On 26 Oct 2016, at 15:22, Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I’m glad we’re both still here! Yes, that’s useful stuff, thank you very
>> much. I will see if I can actually get a certificate or two and use
>> Trevor’s code to deploy it/them. If all that works, then I have to try to
>> understand what the equivalent thing is on Windows. I note that the article
>> says in effect that codesigning is an Apple technology, but AFAIK it’s not,
>> but more an industry-wide sort of thing, isn’t it? Certainly there are
>> certificates in some web technologies as I occasionally get (and often
>> ignore) warnings about ones that have expired…
>>

> I have some instructions for getting certificates and code signing here:
>
> http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/s/revolution/m/10695
>
> The Windows instructions should still work. The OS X ones may be out of
> date but perhaps they may still help.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Graham Samuel-4
Just a quick question. I don’t have a real Windows machine in-house so I do my Windows work via Parallels on a Mac - for beta testing I can use other peoples’ physical PCs. As the whole certificate-obtaining process for Windows has to be carried out on one identifiable Windows machine, would there be any glitches if this was actually a virtual machine? I imagine not, but I’d like to be reassured just the same.

TIA

Graham

[…]

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick question. I don’t have a real Windows machine in-house so I
> do my Windows work via Parallels on a Mac - for beta testing I can use
> other peoples’ physical PCs. As the whole certificate-obtaining process for
> Windows has to be carried out on one identifiable Windows machine, would
> there be any glitches if this was actually a virtual machine? I imagine
> not, but I’d like to be reassured just the same.

I do all of my code signing on a Windows installation running in VMWare
Fusion on OS X.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps
www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com
JB

Re: How do I codesign an App?

JB
Thanks for the info and link, Trevor.

JB

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > Isn't code signing platform specific? Meaning, don't you have to code
 > sign a OSX Standalone on OSX and code sign a Windows standalone on
 > Windows?
 >
 > I would eagerly second adding code signing to the IDE if it could be
 > done cross platform. I.e. if I develop under Windows, I could sign the
 > OSX and Windows standalones I build OR if I develop under OSX, I could
 > code sign BOTH the Windows and OSX standalones (with different
 > certificates of course)

 From time to time we need platform-specific features.  This could be
merely one more.

Ultimately there's one super-feature that determines the value of all
other features:  the line between "I want to make an app" and "I just
shipped an app!".  The shorter and less painful that line, the more
value LiveCode has.

So when we evaluate possible features it can be helpful to think of them
in terms of pain point magnitude:  how many people find it frustrating
to not have it, and just how frustrating is it?

Code signing, and packaging for iOS, are horribly time-wasting,
hair-pulling activities that require a disproportionate amount of
research and experimentation to finally get them right.  They're serious
bottlenecks to professional deployment, among the biggest pain points we
face.

These aren't failings of LiveCode, but they may well be opportunities
for LiveCode, to provide a level of usability for those tools currently
absent from the respective OS vendors.

After all, isn't that ultimately what LiveCode is all about, making it
easier to ship apps than by using OS-vendor-preferred solutions?

Even if it were necessary to implement those features in a way that
could only be used on certain platforms, I'd chip in for this.  I've
seen too many sad and frustrated posts from even experienced coders not
to want to see this pain point go away.

Re: How do I codesign an App?

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Like Trevor said, it is possible to codesign your  Windows apps using a virtual machine.
I am doing it with a Parallles VM.

But please be aware that you cannot use your Apple developer certificate. You will need to purchase a separate Code Signing Certificate.

You can get a very cheap one (about 80$/year from KSoftware at http://www.ksoftware.com <http://www.ksoftware.com/> .
KSoftware is a Commodo partner.

KSoftware is offering a free signing app (KSign) for Windows which makes it very easy to codesign your Windows executables.