How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

Mark Stuart
Hi all,

I'm starting to "move along" with learning Studio 2.7.
Although the questions still come.

How do I put other controls into a table control, for example, a check box, or a combo box? That is, a column of check boxes.
If I can, will it allow the end user to do live updates to these controls?
e.g.: if the user clicks on a check box in a table, with scripts, can I get it to check and uncheck, at the same time changing the data in the table?

Hope that makes sense.

TIA,
Mark
Mark Stuart
-----------
LC 4.6.4
LC Community 6.5
WinXP/7/8
32bit and 64bit

Re: How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

Jan Schenkel
--- [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to "move along" with learning Studio
> 2.7.
> Although the questions still come.
>
> How do I put other controls into a table control,
> for example, a check box, or a combo box? That is, a
> column of check boxes.
> If I can, will it allow the end user to do live
> updates to these controls?
> e.g.: if the user clicks on a check box in a table,
> with scripts, can I get it to check and uncheck, at
> the same time changing the data in the table?
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> TIA,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

There's no 'out of the box' solution in this
situation. But you have a few options:
- replace the table field with a group [the toughest
job, as you'll have to manage a lot of controls, which
in turn causes a slowdown if you have an enormous
amount of cells]
- keep the table field but place a group over the
field that scrolls along with the field and contains
the checkboxes/comboboxes/... [for an example,
download
<http://www.geocities.com/janschenkel/downloads/checkboxlist.zip>]
- use images instead of real controls, display them in
the field using the 'imageSource' property, and do
some fancy footwork using the engine messages
[mouseDown, mouseUp, mouseRelease, linkClicked - and
friends]

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

Re: How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Mark,

It is easy enough to make a group with the objects you need. Then
make another group and if you want to add an item to your list, copy
group 1 into group 2. After correctly positioning the objects, you
can obtain a table effect.

You could also check out Shao Sean's impressive list box library:

<http://66.160.136.21/shaosean/objects/objListbox.php>

Although it is "still in development", I believe it works pretty well.

Best regards,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 19-mei-2006, om 1:10 heeft <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
het volgende geschreven:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to "move along" with learning Studio 2.7.
> Although the questions still come.
>
> How do I put other controls into a table control, for example, a
> check box, or a combo box? That is, a column of check boxes.
> If I can, will it allow the end user to do live updates to these
> controls?
> e.g.: if the user clicks on a check box in a table, with scripts,
> can I get it to check and uncheck, at the same time changing the
> data in the table?
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> TIA,
> Mark

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

Josh Mellicker
It seems that every project I want to do has a scrolling group of
individual subgroups with various controls, each subgroup
representing one "record" in a database.

Since my routines for copying and repositioning a single "template"
group over and over are slow, this morning I was thinking of this
approach:

1. Create a scrolling group of 100 subgroups, make it invisible, this
is the template

2. Copy that whole master template group, then populate the groups
one at a time in a loop, making the subgroups visible as you go

3. (Then delete the unused ones?)

This seems like it would be way faster than copying and repositioning
each subgroup for each record since the subgroups already exist, and
just need the data plugged in.

When the list needed to be redrawn, you would just delete the whole
big group, then repeat the process.

This is a beginner talking, I'm sure others have figured out vastly
brilliant ways to handle this.

On May 18, 2006, at 4:10 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to "move along" with learning Studio 2.7.
> Although the questions still come.
>
> How do I put other controls into a table control, for example, a
> check box, or a combo box? That is, a column of check boxes.
> If I can, will it allow the end user to do live updates to these
> controls?
> e.g.: if the user clicks on a check box in a table, with scripts,
> can I get it to check and uncheck, at the same time changing the
> data in the table?
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> TIA,
> Mark

Re: How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Josh,

This won't work if you don't know whether you will need 100 or 1000
subroups. Also, if the lockloc of each objects in the template group
is true, you don't need to position the objects separately. Just set
the loc of the subgroup.

Then again, if you need to display 1000s of records, you will
probably not want to do this with controls in subgroups. The user
would get lost in such an interface. Instead, present the records in
one window and provide a way to edit a single record in another
window. The editing window would contain a small number of controls,
which is more friendly to the user.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering
http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 19-mei-2006, om 19:59 heeft Josh Mellicker het volgende geschreven:

KvK: 50277553

On May 19, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> Also, if the lockloc of each objects in the template group is true,
> you don't need to position the objects separately. Just set the loc
> of the subgroup.

Sorry, that's what I meant- repositioning the subgroups seems to be
slow.

like:

repeat a lot

   copy template subgroup -- seems slow

   set the top of newGroup to the bottom of theLastGroup + 10 --
seems slow

   put data in the controls -- seems fast

end repeat

Re: How do I put Toolbox objects into a table control?

xtalkprogrammer
What about this?

lock screen -- speeds things up
repeat a lot
   copy template subgroup -- seems slow
   set the top of newGroup to the bottom of theLastGroup + 10 --
seems slow
   put data in the controls -- seems fast
end repeat

Does that help?

Really, for ecxFTP I am doing this too. My list of subgroups can
amount to 100 or more. Adding a subgroup and repositioning all
subgroups including the new one as needed occurs instantly. Maybe you
want to post your entire script and see if we can optimize it?

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering
http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 19-mei-2006, om 22:25 heeft Josh Mellicker het volgende geschreven: