How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I cannot figure it out from the docs

Sent from my iPhone

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

On 6/24/17 2:03 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> I cannot figure it out from the docs

The clipboard isn't supported in LC fields on mobile. To get full
clipboard support you need to use a native field.

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Does that mean I could put the text to be copied into a native field, then put into the clipboard from there?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 24, 2017, at 4:46 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/24/17 2:03 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
>> I cannot figure it out from the docs
>
> The clipboard isn't supported in LC fields on mobile. To get full clipboard support you need to use a native field.

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

hlowe
iOS native text fields (and I presume other native mobile text fields) support manual copy and paste actions - the user has to manually select the text and then initiate the action. I don't know of any way to programatically copy and paste to/from the iOS clipboard nor to access the data on the clipboard. Perhaps I am missing something?

In Objective C this appears to be relatively straight forward:

UIPasteboard *pasteboard = [UIPasteboard generalPasteboard];
pasteboard.string = @"some text to be pasted";

Is there is a reason why basic mobile clipboard support was never implemented in LiveCode?

It would be very nice to be able to get and set the rawClipboardData on mobile but that is only possible on the desktop.

Henry

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I was very surprised it wasn't. I plan to submit Augmented Earth to the apple App Store today. I am going to be embarrassed to tell users they cannot paste text into their reports on a mobile device.

I think I will try to find a workaround between version 1 and version 1.1

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 25, 2017, at 10:28 AM, hlowe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> iOS native text fields (and I presume other native mobile text fields)
> support manual copy and paste actions - the user has to manually select the
> text and then initiate the action. I don't know of any way to
> programatically copy and paste to/from the iOS clipboard nor to access the
> data on the clipboard. Perhaps I am missing something?
>
> In Objective C this appears to be relatively straight forward:
>
> UIPasteboard *pasteboard = [UIPasteboard generalPasteboard];
> pasteboard.string = @"some text to be pasted";
>
> Is there is a reason why basic mobile clipboard support was never
> implemented in LiveCode?
>
> It would be very nice to be able to get and set the rawClipboardData on
> mobile but that is only possible on the desktop.
>
> Henry

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
They can paste text normally if you use a native field. The only
restriction is that LC can't manage the clipboard through script alone. But
if you create a mobile field the OS handles it as expected.

In other words, copy and paste is currently limited to manual user actions.

On June 25, 2017 11:07:08 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was very surprised it wasn't. I plan to submit Augmented Earth to the
> apple App Store today. I am going to be embarrassed to tell users they
> cannot paste text into their reports on a mobile device.
>
> I think I will try to find a workaround between version 1 and version 1.1
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 25, 2017, at 10:28 AM, hlowe via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> iOS native text fields (and I presume other native mobile text fields)
>> support manual copy and paste actions - the user has to manually select the
>> text and then initiate the action. I don't know of any way to
>> programatically copy and paste to/from the iOS clipboard nor to access the
>> data on the clipboard. Perhaps I am missing something?
>>
>> In Objective C this appears to be relatively straight forward:
>>
>> UIPasteboard *pasteboard = [UIPasteboard generalPasteboard];
>> pasteboard.string = @"some text to be pasted";
>>
>> Is there is a reason why basic mobile clipboard support was never
>> implemented in LiveCode?
>>
>> It would be very nice to be able to get and set the rawClipboardData on
>> mobile but that is only possible on the desktop.
>>
>> Henry

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I really want to have the same forms for every platform, not have to generate 40 different fields on the fly and manage all of that.

I might try converting my forms into HTML forms and using the browser widget. I hate that because I invested so much time into the forms I have created, but not being able to paste text on a tablet kinda stinks.

Sent from my iPhone

jonathandlynch wrote:

 > I really want to have the same forms for every platform, not have to
 > generate 40 different fields on the fly and manage all of that.

You don't need to. Write a loop that instantiates any editable fields
for you on preOpenCard and LiveCode will do the rest.

I don't know why that sort of auto-instantiation isn't just a property
setting of fields, but just about every developer I know wrote that loop
once and never thinks about it again.

 > I might try converting my forms into HTML forms and using the browser
 > widget. I hate that because I invested so much time into the forms I
 > have created, but not being able to paste text on a tablet kinda
 > stinks.

That seems like a lot more work.

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Thanks Richard,

This conversation has made me realize I am about to have a yak shaving
moment...

The most important field for submitting a report in Augmented Earth is the
Content field. Because it is an LC field, I use it to allow the user to
enter text, format the text, and upload images. The images are a single
character with the image source set to an image, which is stored in a
hidden group.

It works quite well. The fields and images are combined to produce HTML
text. When a user reads a report, the various data and images are
downloaded and stored in their appropriate place. What they view is the
HTML that is auto generated from those fields and images and presented
through a widget.

I don't think a native field will allow me to insert images in the field in
the same way. And, of course, the content field is the place where a user
would most need to paste in text.

So, I could use native fields for entering text, but not with images
inserted in the text. Or, I can use an LC field for doing both, but then we
cannot paste.

Assuming I am able to submit the app to the App Store as it is, it seems
like I am going to have to come up with a way to paste text into an LC
field on a mobile device for version 1.1

That sounds very difficult. Would LC Builder allow me to do this? I am
pretty sure I could make an external in iOS that allows this - I have
written an iOS external in the past - but it was a big pain and LC Builder
seems like the way to do things like this in the future.

work, work, work

I appreciate your suggestion though. As long as I can generate native
fields inside of a group so they can be scrolled, I will explore that
method for all of the other fields.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> jonathandlynch wrote:
>
> > I really want to have the same forms for every platform, not have to
> > generate 40 different fields on the fly and manage all of that.
>
> You don't need to. Write a loop that instantiates any editable fields for
> you on preOpenCard and LiveCode will do the rest.
>
> I don't know why that sort of auto-instantiation isn't just a property
> setting of fields, but just about every developer I know wrote that loop
> once and never thinks about it again.
>

> > I might try converting my forms into HTML forms and using the browser
> > widget. I hate that because I invested so much time into the forms I
> > have created, but not being able to paste text on a tablet kinda
> > stinks.
>
> That seems like a lot more work.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Do all things with love

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Jonathan if you use a native field you can access it’s contents (which a user could have pasted into it) via something like the inputEndEditing message, and from there hide/delete the native field, reveal a LiveCode field, place the relevant data into it etc etc - would this help your situation?

Dave

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi Dave - I think that might help

I could give the user a button for opening up a pastable field. They could paste into that and LC could process it and put it into the regular field. It's not a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 2:39 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathan if you use a native field you can access it’s contents (which a user could have pasted into it) via something like the inputEndEditing message, and from there hide/delete the native field, reveal a LiveCode field, place the relevant data into it etc etc - would this help your situation?
>
> Dave

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
OK good, the visible bits of a native field (border, background colour etc) could all be provided by background graphics so when you switch fields no visible change can be seen - you might even be able to use the inputTextChanged message instead of a button which the user has to press

BTW you’ll have to delete the native field instead of just hiding it as it’ll be in the top layer and could interfere with user interactions…

Dave

> Hi Dave - I think that might help
>
> I could give the user a button for opening up a pastable field. They could paste into that and LC could process it and put it into the regular field. It's not a bad idea.

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
For this case, though, it will have to be called up specially, not made to look like it was already there.

The field in question also allows users to put in images - something I don't think native fields can do. So the app would have an enter text button that calls up the native field, where the user can type or paste text that is then inserted into the LC field.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 3:21 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK good, the visible bits of a native field (border, background colour etc) could all be provided by background graphics so when you switch fields no visible change can be seen - you might even be able to use the inputTextChanged message instead of a button which the user has to press
>
> BTW you’ll have to delete the native field instead of just hiding it as it’ll be in the top layer and could interfere with user interactions…
>
> Dave
>

>> Hi Dave - I think that might help
>>
>> I could give the user a button for opening up a pastable field. They could paste into that and LC could process it and put it into the regular field. It's not a bad idea.

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I just modified the texting part of Augmented Earth to use a browser widget for texting - it was a huge pain. But - now it has inertial scrolling, copy and paste, and works fine with all of the emojis.

I might wind up going that route on other text entry stuff. It is clean and smooth that way.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 3:30 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> For this case, though, it will have to be called up specially, not made to look like it was already there.
>
> The field in question also allows users to put in images - something I don't think native fields can do. So the app would have an enter text button that calls up the native field, where the user can type or paste text that is then inserted into the LC field.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 26, 2017, at 3:21 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK good, the visible bits of a native field (border, background colour etc) could all be provided by background graphics so when you switch fields no visible change can be seen - you might even be able to use the inputTextChanged message instead of a button which the user has to press
>>
>> BTW you’ll have to delete the native field instead of just hiding it as it’ll be in the top layer and could interfere with user interactions…
>>
>> Dave
>>

>>> Hi Dave - I think that might help
>>>
>>> I could give the user a button for opening up a pastable field. They could paste into that and LC could process it and put it into the regular field. It's not a bad idea.

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
And the iPhone speech to text works this way too!

Sent from my iPhone

jonathandlynch wrote:
 > I just modified the texting part of Augmented Earth to use a browser
 > widget for texting - it was a huge pain. But - now it has inertial
 > scrolling, copy and paste, and works fine with all of the emojis.
 >
 > I might wind up going that route on other text entry stuff. It is
 > clean and smooth that way.

With all the interest lately in bypassing the LC language to use an
embedded browser process, maybe we've found the winning slogan for LC:

"LiveCode: a great JavaScript packaging tool"

:)

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
On Jun 26, 2017 9:36 PM, "Richard Gaskin via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> With all the interest lately in bypassing the LC language to use an
embedded browser process, maybe we've found the winning slogan for LC:

> "LiveCode: a great JavaScript packaging tool"
>
> :)
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I am not trying to start a fuss - just find solutions for my particular problem.

This is what worked for me for this situation.

For situations where LC provides a full solution, it is MUCH faster to code in.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 9:56 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jun 26, 2017 9:36 PM, "Richard Gaskin via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> With all the interest lately in bypassing the LC language to use an
> embedded browser process, maybe we've found the winning slogan for LC:
>>
>> "LiveCode: a great JavaScript packaging tool"
>>
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
No judgment from me on this. On the contrary, most development mixes
languages from time to time, and I think it can be instructive to
observe where the dividing lines of natural usage are found.

So I was kidding, of course, in referring to LC as a "JavaScript
packaging tool", but maybe only somewhat:

Where we find ourselves using JavaScript to cover for something that's
hard to do in LC -- and vice versa, where we prefer doing something in
LiveCode because it's hard to do in JavaScript -- we may learn something
about the sweet spot of each.

jonathandlynch wrote:

> I am not trying to start a fuss - just find solutions for my particular problem.
>
> This is what worked for me for this situation.
>
> For situations where LC provides a full solution, it is MUCH faster to code in.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 26, 2017, at 9:56 PM, Roger Eller wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 26, 2017 9:36 PM, "Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> With all the interest lately in bypassing the LC language to use an
>> embedded browser process, maybe we've found the winning slogan for LC:
>>>
>>> "LiveCode: a great JavaScript packaging tool"
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Gaskin
>>> Fourth World Systems
>>
>> -1
>>
>> NOT my LiveCode!

Re: How do we access the clipboard on mobile devices?

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
+1, Jonathan use what works for you in your situation - glad you got a solution you’re happy with

Dave