How do you fix this?

charles61
I had problems with the cutting off of the bottom because of not setting the Set as Stack Menu bar in the Menu Builder. I have set the Destroystack of my splash, app and substacks to false. Now when I created my Mac app, I get the top of my second card showing the upper 1/4 inch of blue from the my main card!
I have tried increasing the height property of my stack but it only causes the top to go down after increasing one pixel and then increasing by another pixel it causes the top to go up. This in turn shows the blue at the top and then shows the blue at the bottom. Beside starting creating my stack, how can I fix this annoying problem?

Re: How do you fix this?

J. Landman Gay
charles61 wrote:
> I had problems with the cutting off of the bottom because of not setting the
> Set as Stack Menu bar in the Menu Builder. I have set the Destroystack of my
> splash, app and substacks to false. Now when I created my Mac app, I get the
> top of my second card showing the upper 1/4 inch of blue from the my main
> card!

It sounds like you didn't place the menu on that card, so you are seeing
a blank place. You need to place the menu group on every card in the stack.

Mac users should always develop with the menu showing at the top of the
stack window. That is, turn off both "preview as menubar" and "set as
stack menu" until you are ready to build a standalone. Being able to see
the stack as Windows users will see it allows you to place objects on
the card in the right positions, and tells you immediately if you've
forgotten to put a menu on the card.

When you are ready to build, turn those options back on and make sure
destroystack is set to false.

Re: How do you fix this?

charles61
Jacqueline,

Thank your for you e-mail! Well, I actually started my project with the Windows menubar showing. I continued with this procedure until I was ready to create my Mac standalone. I remembered from all of my previous experiences with Rev and the RevList that this is the recommended procedure.

But you are right in assuming that my first card of my app does not have a menubar showing! This card has a nice graphic along with an altAccordion type menu. In my preOpen card script of for the first card my app I have: hide the group "menubar 1". On the rest of my cards the "menubar 1" is not hidden. I guess my question is how do other developers handle this type of situation when they hide the menubar on the first card? Or what do you suggest?

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     <a href="x-msg://7/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2275389&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]

Re: How do you fix this?

J. Landman Gay
charles61 wrote:
> I guess my question is how do
> other developers handle this type of situation when they hide the
> menubar on the first card? Or what do you suggest?

I handle it by not doing that. :) If you're trying to simulate a splash
screen, you're better off using a substack approach. Make your main
stack the splash with the image, then hide it after a few seconds and
open a substack that contains your main content.

Otherwise, leave the menu in place on card 1. Windows users expect it
and Mac users won't see it. Resize your image to fit under the menu area.

Re: How do you fix this?

slylabs13
I agree with Jacque on the way to handle this, but in defense of Charles61, this is a real clunky thing. I shouldn't have to work around this, especially since it's been like this through several major revisions. It's the result of menu's being objects that reside on a card but are invisible (sort of). The IDE should treat a system menu as a separate distinct object, but of course, where would you put it? Maybe that poses other problems, perhaps with backward compatibility with other engines and such. Who knows? It seems though that the Mac IDE could just ignore the object instead of taking it into account when sizing and displaying the stack. I dunno.

Bob

On Jul 1, 2010, at 1:59 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> charles61 wrote:
>> I guess my question is how do
>> other developers handle this type of situation when they hide the
>> menubar on the first card? Or what do you suggest?
>
> I handle it by not doing that. :) If you're trying to simulate a splash screen, you're better off using a substack approach. Make your main stack the splash with the image, then hide it after a few seconds and open a substack that contains your main content.
>
> Otherwise, leave the menu in place on card 1. Windows users expect it and Mac users won't see it. Resize your image to fit under the menu area.

Re: How do you fix this?

charles61
Jacqueline,

I managed to fix my problem by removing the script to hide the menu bar. This along with the Set as stack Menu bar for the Mac resolved my problem.