How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

charles61
I have going through various scripts to get the name of a text file (not stack) that is open in my app using the message box. Does anyone know how to do this?

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Stephen Barncard-4
answer file "select file:";put it into temp;get URL("file:" & temp);put temp
& return & return & it

On 12 June 2010 12:16, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have going through various scripts to get the name of a text file (not
> stack) that is open in my app using the message box. Does anyone know how
> do this?

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Stephen Barncard-4
Otherwise I misread what you were asking. If you have an app and you load a
file, it's up to the programmer (you) to keep track of it in a variable or a
custom property. There is no "last file loaded" property.

On 12 June 2010 12:48, stephen barncard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> answer file "select file:";put it into temp;get URL("file:" & temp);put
> temp & return & return & it
>
> On 12 June 2010 12:16, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have going through various scripts to get the name of a text file (not
>> stack) that is open in my app using the message box. Does anyone know how
>> do this?

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

charles61
Stephen,

I typed your suggestion in the message box and I only got the select file dialog box but not the name of the file that is already opened. Any other suggestions? I went through the RevList archives and could not find an example of getting the name of an open file!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On 12 June 2010 12:16, charles61 <<a href="x-msg://69/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2252984&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have going through various scripts to get the name of a text file (not
> stack) that is open in my app using the message box. Does anyone know how
> do this?

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/How-do-you-get-the-name-of-an-open-saved-file-in-memory-using-message-box-tp2252969p2252984.html
To unsubscribe from How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?, click here.

I just saw your second e-mail reply. My plan is to put the name of the open file in a variable but getting the name of the open file has been difficult. How do you get the name of the open file?

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Stephen Barncard-4
You are not communicating very well. It is still not clear what you want.

Do you want to place a suggested file name in an ask dialog entry field
instead, or have a the filename show up instead of the prompt of the ask
dialog?

Again, how would the dialog 'know' what the last filename was unless you
save it yourself?

Or are you just having trouble getting the result of your choice in the
dialog?
Look at the  IT variable

Anyway again it is up to the programmer to know which files are open and
those that are not.  Usually 'OPEN' is just for microseconds, the data is
put in a variable, and work with it inside rev.  There is no open and close
needed for  'put URL()' and the file is closed after the call.  There really
is no need for multiple open and close statements unless one is processing
data from one file into another file by script. Most of the time that is
never needed.

On 12 June 2010 13:00, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> I typed your suggestion in the message box and I only got the select file
> dialog box but not the name of the file that is already opened. Any other
> suggestions? I went through the RevList archives and could not find an
> example of getting the name of an open file!
>
> Charles Szasz
> [hidden email]
>

> On Jun 12, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Stephen Barncard-4 [via Runtime Revolution]
> wrote:
>
> > answer file "select file:";put it into temp;get URL("file:" & temp);put
> temp
> > & return & return & it
> >
> > On 12 June 2010 12:16, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > I have going through various scripts to get the name of a text file
> (not
> > > stack) that is open in my app using the message box. Does anyone know
> how
> > > do this?
> > > --
> > >

> > --
> >

> > View message @
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/How-do-you-get-the-name-of-an-open-saved-file-in-memory-using-message-box-tp2252969p2252984.html
> > To unsubscribe from How do you get the name of an open saved file in
> memory using message box?, click here.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Sarah Reichelt-2
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 5:16 AM, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have going through various scripts to get the name of a text file (not
> stack) that is open in my app using the message box. Does anyone know how to
> do this?

Charles, at some stage in your scripts, the file was opened. At that
point, your script had to know the file name.
You will have to store that file name in the custom property, hidden
field, script local or global variable at that time.
Then you can use that file name at any time to re-save to the original file.

Cheers,
Sarah

Rodeo discussion:
http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-discuss-among-yourselves

I am sorry for the confusion. All I want to do to provide a save dialog when the user makes a change to a saved file asking the user to save the file after a change was made to the file. In my current script, I have a dialog appear that asks if the user wants to save the file with untitled.text. This would be okay if the file did not already have a name. So far I have been unable to get the name of the file to appear in the dialog so the user can choose to save the file with its current name, a new name or disregard the changes.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

charles61
Sarah,

The question is how do you get the name of the file that is opened from a script to save in a variable. This is what I been unable to do.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Stephen Barncard-4
so what we've all told you is all you need. Have you put it all together
yet?

On 12 June 2010 20:29, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> I am sorry for the confusion. All I want to do to provide a save dialog
> when
> the user makes a change to a saved file asking the user to save the file
> after a change was made to the file. In my current script, I have a dialog
> appear that asks if the user wants to save the file with untitled.text.
> This
> would be okay if the file did not already have a name. So far I have been
> unable to get the name of the file to appear in the dialog so the user can
> choose to save the file with its current name, a new name or disregard the
> changes.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

charles61
Stephen,

I understand how to put the name in the variable and store it but I have not been able to get the name of the current file to put in a variable. But I will keep working on it. Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On 12 June 2010 20:29, charles61 <<a href="x-msg://73/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2253197&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> I am sorry for the confusion. All I want to do to provide a save dialog
> when
> the user makes a change to a saved file asking the user to save the file
> after a change was made to the file. In my current script, I have a dialog
> appear that asks if the user wants to save the file with untitled.text.
> This
> would be okay if the file did not already have a name. So far I have been
> unable to get the name of the file to appear in the dialog so the user can
> choose to save the file with its current name, a new name or disregard the
> changes.

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/How-do-you-get-the-name-of-an-open-saved-file-in-memory-using-message-box-tp2252969p2253197.html
To unsubscribe from Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?, click here.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Sarah Reichelt-2
> The question is how do you get the name of the file that is opened from a
> script to save in a variable. This is what I been unable to do.

How do you open the file? Do you get the user to select a file using
the answer file dialog?
If so, try something like this:

global gOpenDataFile
answer file "Select a file to open:"
if it is empty then exit to top
put it into gOpenDataFile
put URL ("file:" & gOpenDataFile) into tFileData
-- process the file data as usual

Now the global variable gOpenDataFile contains the full path to the
data file that was opened.
You can use this later when asking to save:

global gOpenDataFile
ask file "Save data file?" with gOpenDataFile

And it will offer the same folder and file name as before.
Note that if you select the same file name, the OS will give you a
file exists warning, whereas if you just save directly using the file
name, then it won't.

--
Cheers,
Sarah

Rodeo discussion:
http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-discuss-among-yourselves

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

charles61
Hi Sarah,

The situation is the same as the user who has created and saved a document but then decides to make a change to the document before creating a new document. The dialog is essentially a Save As Dialog where the user is asked whether to save the document with the same name or disregard the changes and close the document.

In my current dialog the user is given the standard save "untitled.txt" option. Instead, I would like the user to get a dialog that says Save the file "abc" or disregard the changes. Here "abc" is the name of the saved file before changes were made to the file.

Hi Sarah,

The situation is the same as the user who has created and saved a document but then decides to make a change to the document before creating a new document. The dialog is a reminder to the user to save the document before closing it with the same name or with a different name. In other words, it is a Save As Dialog that you would see if you were closing a document but have not saved some changes to the document.

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/How-do-you-get-the-name-of-an-open-saved-file-in-memory-using-message-box-tp2252969p2253331.html
To unsubscribe from Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?, click here.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Mike Bonner
Ok, so the file is created or opened to start with. If its a
pre-existing file that is opened by using "answer file" as long as the
user doesn't cancel, the path to the chosen file will be in the "it"
special variable.
So if you put "it" into some place to store it, you then have the
filename.  YOU need to keep track of this until the file is closed so
that you can use the information.

If a new file is created and saved, again, as soon as its saved, you
know the filename. Store it as stated above for later use. Use "ask
file" to prompt the user for the initial save, then put "it" into a
storage vehicle.

Either way, at this point you as the programmer should be tracking the
file name.
So if you want to have a save as option, again use "ask file"

ask file "Save as" with "yourstoredfilepath"
See 'ask file with' in the dictionary for more information.

While looking at all this, you should also read the entry for
defaultFolder, specialFolderPath and the like as you are most likely
going to need them.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 7:01 AM, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarah,
>
> The situation is the same as the user who has created and saved a document but then decides to make a change to the document before creating a new document. The dialog is essentially a Save As Dialog where the user is asked whether to save the document with the same name or disregard the changes and close the document.
>
> In my current dialog the user is given the standard save "untitled.txt" option. Instead, I would like the user to get a dialog that says Save the file "abc" or disregard the changes. Here "abc" is the name of the saved file before changes were made to the file.
>
>> Hi Sarah,
>>
>> The situation is the same as the user who has created and saved a document but then decides to make a change to the document before creating a new document. The dialog is a reminder to the user to save the document before closing it with the same name or with a different name. In other words, it is a Save As Dialog that you would see if you were closing a document but have not saved some changes to the document.
>
> Charles Szasz
> [hidden email]
>

> On Jun 13, 2010, at 6:02 AM, Sarah Reichelt-2 [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:
>
>> > The question is how do you get the name of the file that is opened from a
>> > script to save in a variable. This is what I been unable to do.
>>
>> How do you open the file? Do you get the user to select a file using
>> the answer file dialog?
>> If so, try something like this:
>>
>> global gOpenDataFile
>> answer file "Select a file to open:"
>> if it is empty then exit to top
>> put it into gOpenDataFile
>> put URL ("file:" & gOpenDataFile) into tFileData
>> -- process the file data as usual
>>
>> Now the global variable gOpenDataFile contains the full path to the
>> data file that was opened.
>> You can use this later when asking to save:
>>
>> global gOpenDataFile
>> ask file "Save data file?" with gOpenDataFile
>>
>> And it will offer the same folder and file name as before.
>> Note that if you select the same file name, the OS will give you a
>> file exists warning, whereas if you just save directly using the file
>> name, then it won't.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Sarah
>>
>> Rodeo discussion:
>> http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-discuss-among-yourselves

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

charles61
Hi Sarah,

The user does not get the file by selecting ti. In this situation,

1. The user creates a new file and populates the file
2. Then saves the file "abc".
3. User decides to make a change in the file.
4. The user opens a new file without saving the changes to file abc.

This is where I want to get a dialog asking the User to save file "abc" or disregard the last changes made and start a new file.

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Jun 13, 2010, at 6:02 AM, Sarah Reichelt-2 [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

> The question is how do you get the name of the file that is opened from a
> script to save in a variable. This is what I been unable to do.

How do you open the file? Do you get the user to select a file using
the answer file dialog?
If so, try something like this:

global gOpenDataFile
answer file "Select a file to open:"
if it is empty then exit to top
put it into gOpenDataFile
put URL ("file:" & gOpenDataFile) into tFileData
-- process the file data as usual

Now the global variable gOpenDataFile contains the full path to the
data file that was opened.
You can use this later when asking to save:

global gOpenDataFile
ask file "Save data file?" with gOpenDataFile

And it will offer the same folder and file name as before.
Note that if you select the same file name, the OS will give you a
file exists warning, whereas if you just save directly using the file
name, then it won't.

--
Cheers,
Sarah

Rodeo discussion:
http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-discuss-among-yourselves

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/How-do-you-get-the-name-of-an-open-saved-file-in-memory-using-message-box-tp2252969p2253331.html
To unsubscribe from Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?, click here.

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

pmbrig
On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:38 AM, charles61 wrote:

> Hi Sarah,
>
> The user does not get the file by selecting ti. In this situation,
>
> 1. The user creates a new file and populates the file
> 2. Then saves the file "abc".
> 3. User decides to make a change in the file.
> 4. The user opens a new file without saving the changes to file abc.
>
> This is where I want to get a dialog asking the User to save file
> "abc" or disregard the last changes made and start a new file.
>
> Charles Szasz
> [hidden email]
>

> On Jun 13, 2010, at 6:02 AM, Sarah Reichelt-2 [via Runtime
> Revolution] wrote:
>
>>> The question is how do you get the name of the file that is opened
>>> from a
>>> script to save in a variable. This is what I been unable to do.
>>
>> How do you open the file? Do you get the user to select a file using
>> the answer file dialog?
>> If so, try something like this:
>>
>> global gOpenDataFile
>> answer file "Select a file to open:"
>> if it is empty then exit to top
>> put it into gOpenDataFile
>> put URL ("file:" & gOpenDataFile) into tFileData
>> -- process the file data as usual
>>
>> Now the global variable gOpenDataFile contains the full path to the
>> data file that was opened.
>> You can use this later when asking to save:
>>
>> global gOpenDataFile
>> ask file "Save data file?" with gOpenDataFile
>>
>> And it will offer the same folder and file name as before.
>> Note that if you select the same file name, the OS will give you a
>> file exists warning, whereas if you just save directly using the file
>> name, then it won't.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Sarah

How does the user create a new file -- from within Rev, eg, via a
button or some such, or by double-clicking the file icon on the
desktop? Does Rev open it in a Rev window, or does the file launch
using another app? How does a user open an existing file? -- again,
from within Rev or using the system software? It would help if you
described in more detail what the exact process is here, and what the
larger picture is -- what does your stack do?

As far as I can gather, the user opens an existing file "by script" --
so you have the file location stored somewhere. If the file is
launched using another app and then the contents are changed, the
system will provide the usual "save before closing?" dialog. At which
point the user can say "cancel" and instead "save as..." and choose a
new file name. If you are opening the file and editing it from within
Rev, eg in a field. then you can use the closefield message to give
the user the option of saving to the existing file. But I'm having to
guess what you want to do, since you haven't specified the details.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
[hidden email]
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

Re: How do you get the name of an open saved file in memory using message box?

Robert Brenstein
On 14.06.10 at 07:38 -0700 charles61 apparently wrote:

>Hi Sarah,
>
>The user does not get the file by selecting ti. In this situation,
>
>1. The user creates a new file and populates the file
>2. Then saves the file "abc".
>3. User decides to make a change in the file.
>4. The user opens a new file without saving the changes to file abc.
>
>This is where I want to get a dialog asking the User to save file
>"abc" or disregard the last changes made and start a new file.
>
>Charles Szasz
>[hidden email]

Your script that handles step 2 gets the file name from the user. You
just need to preserve it to use in 4.

To save a new file, you must be using the ask file dialog. It returns
the path to the file in "it". Filename is the last item of the path.

Robert