How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I've been tasked with resurrecting an old app that was last built with
MetaCard.  What I loved about MC was that it only did what I asked it
to, so when it comes to building a standalone it couldn't be easier: it
bound the engine to the stack file I wanted and that was it.  If I
wanted anything else I scripted it.

Trying to build with LC is a nightmare.  It's fine for things that I've
built specifically for the LC IDE (and since it's been years since I've
used MC that's pretty much everything I work on), but this one is
driving me crazy.

I'll spare you the step by step of all the weirdness I'm seeing (the
duplicate stack warning about stacks in a "Windows" directory that
doesn't exist, or the error dialog at the end that just displays raw
error data, and everything in between), and just get to what I think is
the point:

How do I tell LC's SB to not do a damn thing but attach the engine to my
specified stack file?

I think what it's doing is running through the stackfiles property and
then loading every stack in those files trying to
remove/alter/preserver/gawdknowswhat with profiles.  But I never use
profiles, never needed 'em, never cared for the idea, and all I really
want is for LC to just stop poking around in things that aren't the
stack file I'm trying to bind to.  But it seems all my guesses about the
profile options are wrong, since I can't find a combination which is the
equivalent of "Stop mucking around in other stack files and just do what
I'm telling you to do!".

I can write a handler for the pre- and post-build messages, stripping
and restoring the stackfiles listing.  If needed.  Seems silly to need
that, though.

Am I mising something obvious to get LC's Standalone Builder to calm
down and just do the one thing I need it to do?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
That is exactly what I was complaining about. Apparently when the SB creates the duplicate stack, it uses that path and modifies the original mainstack if you try to build again. Now I only build for one platform, and then I quit and relaunch for each build operation. That keeps my original stackfile paths from becoming corrupted.

Bob S

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 22:35 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll spare you the step by step of all the weirdness I'm seeing (the duplicate stack warning about stacks in a "Windows" directory that doesn't exist, or the error dialog at the end that just displays raw error data, and everything in between), and just get to what I think is the point:


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Bob Sneidar wrote:
 > That is exactly what I was complaining about. Apparently when the SB
 > creates the duplicate stack, it uses that path and modifies the
 > original mainstack if you try to build again. Now I only build for one
 > platform, and then I quit and relaunch for each build operation. That
 > keeps my original stackfile paths from becoming corrupted.

In my case my mainstack never gets corrupted; apparently the SB is doing
what it's expected to do in modifying the copy of the stackfile only.

My problem is that it goes far beyond just building a standalone,
opening up every stack in two directories I have adjacent to my
mainstack and attempting to do gawdknowswhat with them.

Ideally there would be some option to leave other stack files alone
unless I explicitly tell it to start monkeying with them.

I have no stack file inclusions, and have experimented with every option
for Profiles (there doesn't seem to be one for "Ignore profiles since I
never use them").

I just ran a test where I first clear the stackfiles property before
building, yet the SB still insists on digging through these adjacent
folders and opening every stack it finds.

I guess I'll have to step through the SB code to find the moment of this
overdesign, and write a script to temporarily comment that out....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Yes I think that was resolved a while ago. That particular thing is not happening to me anymore, but I am constantly plagued with the Stack Already Open message, and also the issue with the modal Login stack is related.

I have found that I can suppress messages just before building and the build works just fine, but I am manually selection inclusions. Not sure if that would work if automatic detection of inclusions was enabled.

Seems to me you can supress messages at the beginning of the SB build process, and restore it afterwards to it's propr state as an easy workaround? I can do it as well, but I haven't bothered to see what is getting launched for the SB.

Bob S


> On Feb 6, 2018, at 09:33 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
> > That is exactly what I was complaining about. Apparently when the SB
> > creates the duplicate stack, it uses that path and modifies the
> > original mainstack if you try to build again. Now I only build for one
> > platform, and then I quit and relaunch for each build operation. That
> > keeps my original stackfile paths from becoming corrupted.
>
> In my case my mainstack never gets corrupted; apparently the SB is doing what it's expected to do in modifying the copy of the stackfile only.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I'm not sure the problem is profiles. Do you have "search for inclusions"
selected? If so, the sb has to open every stack to search. Even if you
don't use any inclusions, it may be doing that anyway, and also the ask and
answer dialogs are always selected by default.

If you haven't already done it, choose to select inclusions manually so the
sb won't scan everything.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com



On February 6, 2018 12:37:43 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been tasked with resurrecting an old app that was last built with
> MetaCard.  What I loved about MC was that it only did what I asked it
> to, so when it comes to building a standalone it couldn't be easier: it
> bound the engine to the stack file I wanted and that was it.  If I
> wanted anything else I scripted it.
>
> Trying to build with LC is a nightmare.  It's fine for things that I've
> built specifically for the LC IDE (and since it's been years since I've
> used MC that's pretty much everything I work on), but this one is
> driving me crazy.
>
> I'll spare you the step by step of all the weirdness I'm seeing (the
> duplicate stack warning about stacks in a "Windows" directory that
> doesn't exist, or the error dialog at the end that just displays raw
> error data, and everything in between), and just get to what I think is
> the point:
>
> How do I tell LC's SB to not do a damn thing but attach the engine to my
> specified stack file?
>
> I think what it's doing is running through the stackfiles property and
> then loading every stack in those files trying to
> remove/alter/preserver/gawdknowswhat with profiles.  But I never use
> profiles, never needed 'em, never cared for the idea, and all I really
> want is for LC to just stop poking around in things that aren't the
> stack file I'm trying to bind to.  But it seems all my guesses about the
> profile options are wrong, since I can't find a combination which is the
> equivalent of "Stop mucking around in other stack files and just do what
> I'm telling you to do!".
>
> I can write a handler for the pre- and post-build messages, stripping
> and restoring the stackfiles listing.  If needed.  Seems silly to need
> that, though.
>
> Am I mising something obvious to get LC's Standalone Builder to calm
> down and just do the one thing I need it to do?
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
>   ____________________________________________________________________
>   [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode



_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I use manual inclusions and it still seems to open everything. If I attempt to build a second time I am informed that there are stacks in memory with the same name.

Bob S


> On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:12 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure the problem is profiles. Do you have "search for inclusions" selected? If so, the sb has to open every stack to search. Even if you don't use any inclusions, it may be doing that anyway, and also the ask and answer dialogs are always selected by default.
>
> If you haven't already done it, choose to select inclusions manually so the sb won't scan everything.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mike Kerner via use-livecode
J. Landman Gay wrote:
 > I'm not sure the problem is profiles. Do you have "search for
 > inclusions" selected? If so, the sb has to open every stack to search.
 > Even if you don't use any inclusions, it may be doing that anyway, and
 > also the ask and answer dialogs are always selected by default.
 >
 > If you haven't already done it, choose to select inclusions manually
 > so the sb won't scan everything.

Always manual here.

But even if it's searching the designated mainstack, what could cause it
to start diving down into adjacent folders and opening everything it finds?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Sorry, I haven't a clue. One of my projects has dozens of stackfiles and I
don't see this behavior. We're building for mobile though, maybe that matters.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com



On February 6, 2018 1:01:22 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>  > I'm not sure the problem is profiles. Do you have "search for
>  > inclusions" selected? If so, the sb has to open every stack to search.
>  > Even if you don't use any inclusions, it may be doing that anyway, and
>  > also the ask and answer dialogs are always selected by default.
>  >
>  > If you haven't already done it, choose to select inclusions manually
>  > so the sb won't scan everything.
>
> Always manual here.
>
> But even if it's searching the designated mainstack, what could cause it
> to start diving down into adjacent folders and opening everything it finds?
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
>   ____________________________________________________________________
>   [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode



_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode