How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Hello,

When I have opened (in the IDE) a modal stack without closebox, how can I
close it by a windows keyboard shortcut? The messagebox window isn't
reachable, because of the modal state of my stack.

Thanks

Tiemo

Re: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Tiemo,

If you're lucky, you can right-click in the modal dialog and change the stack mode to toplevel.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Download the Installer Maker Plugin 1.7 for LiveCode here http://qery.us/za

On 6 mrt 2012, at 11:52, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I have opened (in the IDE) a modal stack without closebox, how can I
> close it by a windows keyboard shortcut? The messagebox window isn't
> reachable, because of the modal state of my stack.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tiemo

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

AndyP
Hi Tiemo,

A work around for this situation is to test if you are in the IDE or not, as below:

 if the environment is "development" then
      go to card "MyCard" of stack "MyStack"
   else
      go to card "MyCard" of stack "MyStack" as modal
   end if

Andy Piddock

TinyIDE a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder. http://www.pointandsee.co.uk - made with LiveCode

Re: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Ken Corey
On 06/03/2012 10:52, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> When I have opened (in the IDE) a modal stack without closebox, how can I
> close it by a windows keyboard shortcut? The messagebox window isn't
> reachable, because of the modal state of my stack.

I just had a quick play around...

On my machine (Windows 7, LiveCode 5.x), I can bring up a new main
stack, and set it to be modal (it has no buttons to close, remove or
anything).

Hold Ctrl-Shift, right click in the window, and you'll get a menu, where
you can change the 'Stack Mode' to toplevel, where your controls come back.

(On my Mac, it seems to be Command-Ctrl-Shift left-click).

-Ken

AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Ctrl-Shift, right click did it!
Thank you!
Tiemo

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Ken Corey
On 06/03/2012 12:48, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Ctrl-Shift, right click did it!
> Thank you!

My pleasure!

One other thing: I *never* use the 'Apply' button any more.  I always
apply by using the 'Ctrl-S' save function. (Of course, it's Command-S on
Macs).

That way, when I bork the IDE, or do something silly with 'answer' or
'modal' or whatever, I am 10 seconds away from restarting LiveCode and
being right where I was.  This happens often enough that IMNSHO the
'Apply' button should simply be removed.

I've been burned a few times by programming for 1/2 an hour, hitting
'Apply' and not saving, only for the IDE to lock, break, obscure itself
with too many dialogs, or some other such thing. Teeth-gritting kinds of
stuff.

-Ken

AW: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Good advice, Thanks!
Tiemo

J. Landman Gay
On 3/6/12 6:57 AM, Ken Corey wrote:

> That way, when I bork the IDE, or do something silly with 'answer' or
> 'modal' or whatever, I am 10 seconds away from restarting LiveCode and
> being right where I was. This happens often enough that IMNSHO the
> 'Apply' button should simply be removed.

Removing Apply would seriously affect my work flow. I routinely try out
new things and if I bork it too much to backtrack, I revert the stack. I
save manually immediately after every change I want to keep. That's
often enough that I rarely lose anything -- but I don't seem to have
much trouble with the IDE locking up. I almost never experience it.

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Peter Haworth-2
Hi Jacque,
What do you mean by "revert the stack"?
Pete

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Removing Apply would seriously affect my work flow. I routinely try out
> new things and if I bork it too much to backtrack, I revert the stack

--
Pete

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Colin Holgate-2
File menu, Revert to Saved... I work the same way as Jacque, other than I sometimes just close the script window and say Yes to the question about if I want to keep the changes. The main advantage of the Apply button is that you can keep the script window open while you try out different things, without committing to the changes just yet.

If Undo worked as well as it does in Flash, then doing a Save wouldn't be such a big deal, you could quickly get back to how it was before the change you were trying. If you're editing an internal script in Flash, you don't even have to Apply either, the changes are already applied as soon as you've typed them. It can get away with that because Flash isn't constantly running in the way that LiveCode is.

On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Pete wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
> What do you mean by "revert the stack"?

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

slylabs13
Boy I sure do! But it is an issue with doing something stupid like trying to make changes to code and compile it while I am still debugging using PowerDebug. Don't know if it would happen with the normal debugger so I cannot say it is power debug, and anyway the proper response to compiling code during debugging should be, "Don't do that!" :-)

Also, having tabs open in GLX2 for a stack that has been removed from memory is another great way to lock up the IDE. Again, not sure if the stock editor would behave the same way. I just throw that out there as vectors on IDE lockups that some may not have considered yet. Also, I think Mark Wieder may have addressed this one in the latest release of GLX2.

Bob

On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:25 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 3/6/12 6:57 AM, Ken Corey wrote:
>
>> That way, when I bork the IDE, or do something silly with 'answer' or
>> 'modal' or whatever, I am 10 seconds away from restarting LiveCode and
>> being right where I was. This happens often enough that IMNSHO the
>> 'Apply' button should simply be removed.
>
> Removing Apply would seriously affect my work flow. I routinely try out new things and if I bork it too much to backtrack, I revert the stack. I save manually immediately after every change I want to keep. That's often enough that I rarely lose anything -- but I don't seem to have much trouble with the IDE locking up. I almost never experience it.

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

slylabs13
Menu File/Revert To Saved...

Bob

On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:37 AM, Pete wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
> What do you mean by "revert the stack"?
> Pete
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Removing Apply would seriously affect my work flow. I routinely try out
>> new things and if I bork it too much to backtrack, I revert the stack
>

> --
> Pete
> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

slylabs13
For those using GLX2, you can just hit Command-R (or CTRL-R I suspect in Windows) to revert a script to the last compiled version.

Bob

On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> File menu, Revert to Saved... I work the same way as Jacque, other than I sometimes just close the script window and say Yes to the question about if I want to keep the changes. The main advantage of the Apply button is that you can keep the script window open while you try out different things, without committing to the changes just yet.
>
> If Undo worked as well as it does in Flash, then doing a Save wouldn't be such a big deal, you could quickly get back to how it was before the change you were trying. If you're editing an internal script in Flash, you don't even have to Apply either, the changes are already applied as soon as you've typed them. It can get away with that because Flash isn't constantly running in the way that LiveCode is.
>

> On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Pete wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacque,
>> What do you mean by "revert the stack"?

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

Peter Haworth-2
How did I miss that! Is that somehow different than just quitting the IDE
without saving then opening it again?

The IDE Undo is a mystery to me.  Most of the time when I really need to
undo, it doesn't work, particularly when moving/deleting controls on a
card.  I've learned to save after almost any single change to a card layout
before making another change.

Pete

On 3/6/12 11:37 AM, Pete wrote:
> Hi Jacque,
> What do you mean by "revert the stack"?

The command is in the File menu, though I usually just type it into the
message box to avoid the verification dialog. "Revert" is a LiveCode
command that just means "reload this stack from the last-saved version
on disk."

It lets me dink around and then discard all changes in one go.

Re: AW: How to close a modal stack by keyboard?

slylabs13
Oh nice tip.

Bob

On 06/03/2012 17:25, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 3/6/12 6:57 AM, Ken Corey wrote:
> Removing Apply would seriously affect my work flow. I routinely try out
> new things and if I bork it too much to backtrack, I revert the stack. I
> save manually immediately after every change I want to keep. That's
> often enough that I rarely lose anything -- but I don't seem to have
> much trouble with the IDE locking up. I almost never experience it.

I haven't experienced it much on Windows, but boy do I see it a lot on
Mac...at least 3 times per week.  When I've just saved and it happens, I
simply force quit and restart.  If I haven't saved for a while, steam
comes out of my ears.

On 3/6/12 12:37 PM, Ken Corey wrote:

> On 06/03/2012 17:25, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 3/6/12 6:57 AM, Ken Corey wrote:
>> Removing Apply would seriously affect my work flow. I routinely try out
>> new things and if I bork it too much to backtrack, I revert the stack. I
>> save manually immediately after every change I want to keep. That's
>> often enough that I rarely lose anything -- but I don't seem to have
>> much trouble with the IDE locking up. I almost never experience it.
>
> I haven't experienced it much on Windows, but boy do I see it a lot on
> Mac...at least 3 times per week. When I've just saved and it happens, I
> simply force quit and restart. If I haven't saved for a while, steam
> comes out of my ears.

I develop exclusively on Mac and only use other operating systems for
testing. Do you use any third-party tools? I keep my IDE native.

On 06/03/2012 18:58, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 3/6/12 12:37 PM, Ken Corey wrote:
> I develop exclusively on Mac and only use other operating systems for
> testing. Do you use any third-party tools? I keep my IDE native.

Come to mention it, I have installed a few things that installed
plug-ins on 5.0.2, but haven't used them.

Now, of course, I'm running 5.5.0 dp2, but still seeing the crashes.

Could the things I've played with in the past (glx2, mobgui, etc) be
leaving a plug-in somewhere that 5.5.0 is picking up on?  I tried
looking in my Users/ken/Library directory, but only saw the preferences
file there.

On 3/6/12 1:32 PM, Ken Corey wrote:

> Could the things I've played with in the past (glx2, mobgui, etc) be
> leaving a plug-in somewhere that 5.5.0 is picking up on? I tried looking
> in my Users/ken/Library directory, but only saw the preferences file there.

Doubtful, if you've restarted and haven't used those, but I'm not sure
how GLX works; maybe it always loads. It would be in your plugins folder
I think (it's been a very long time since I looked at it.)