How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Folks,
Can anyone please guide me towards an LiveCode feature(s) that might provide the equivalent to the javascript jQuery library’s "jQuery(‘.class’).html();" mechanism that allows one to select an entire element’s content (including nested elements) from the page DOM?

I have experimented with using jQuery in a browser widget for this purpose but it introduces dependencies & integration complexities - and I’d prefer to work without necessitating a desktop UI to contain for the browser widget, so the code could potentially run on LC Server.

I can see how I might build a 'roll-your-own' approach, using LiveCode’s powerful text & chunk features. This would seem to need the HTML file to be pre-processed, to iterate through the tags of the text file to both find & mark both each nesting level within elements and also ‘pair-up’ the (anonymous) closing tags.

Is there a smarter way - any HTML parsing utilities/libraries/lessons/stacks I should study?
Thanks
Keith

Re: How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
You could do this with revXML (see teh dictionary), but it is not a
single call.

On 11/25/2018 7:12 AM, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:

> Folks,
> Can anyone please guide me towards an LiveCode feature(s) that might provide the equivalent to the javascript jQuery library’s "jQuery(‘.class’).html();" mechanism that allows one to select an entire element’s content (including nested elements) from the page DOM?
>
> I have experimented with using jQuery in a browser widget for this purpose but it introduces dependencies & integration complexities - and I’d prefer to work without necessitating a desktop UI to contain for the browser widget, so the code could potentially run on LC Server.
>
> I can see how I might build a 'roll-your-own' approach, using LiveCode’s powerful text & chunk features. This would seem to need the HTML file to be pre-processed, to iterate through the tags of the text file to both find & mark both each nesting level within elements and also ‘pair-up’ the (anonymous) closing tags.
>
> Is there a smarter way - any HTML parsing utilities/libraries/lessons/stacks I should study?
> Thanks
> Keith

Re: How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Thanks for the steer, Paul - I’ve not worked with XML in LiveCode so hadn’t made the connection between the HTML markup structure & XML.

A quick scan through suggests that this library could prove really useful - I’ll dig further and look for related resources, thanks.
Best,
Keith

> On 25 Nov 2018, at 13:55, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You could do this with revXML (see teh dictionary), but it is not a
> single call.
>

> On 11/25/2018 7:12 AM, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
>> Folks,
>> Can anyone please guide me towards an LiveCode feature(s) that might provide the equivalent to the javascript jQuery library’s "jQuery(‘.class’).html();" mechanism that allows one to select an entire element’s content (including nested elements) from the page DOM?
>>
>> I have experimented with using jQuery in a browser widget for this purpose but it introduces dependencies & integration complexities - and I’d prefer to work without necessitating a desktop UI to contain for the browser widget, so the code could potentially run on LC Server.
>>
>> I can see how I might build a 'roll-your-own' approach, using LiveCode’s powerful text & chunk features. This would seem to need the HTML file to be pre-processed, to iterate through the tags of the text file to both find & mark both each nesting level within elements and also ‘pair-up’ the (anonymous) closing tags.
>>
>> Is there a smarter way - any HTML parsing utilities/libraries/lessons/stacks I should study?
>> Thanks
>> Keith

Re: How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:30 AM Keith Clarke via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the steer, Paul - I’ve not worked with XML in LiveCode so
> hadn’t made the connection between the HTML markup structure & XML.

Keith,

I’ve used revXML for parsing HTML in somewhat controlled conditions. While
revXML can work for HTML, your results will vary based on how well
structured the HTML is. If there are tags that are not closed or are out of
balance then revXML won’t give you the results you expect. If you are
generating the HTML then it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is third party
HTML then you may have to massage the HTML input to get it to work.

It would be great if there were a library wrapper around one of the
dedicated HTML parsers listed on this page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_parsers

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Thanks for the warning and the link to the parsers, Trevor.

I get the point regarding unclean HTML - as I won’t be in control of the source. Following a cursory glance through the dictionary, I’m also a tad concerned about the variability in HTML tag content (e.g.

vs.

...and hence, how much wrangling might be needed to identify all the nodes in the tree with a specific class, where jQuery’s "$j(‘.red’).html();” saves a lot of the heavy lifting involved.

I’ll have a look at those parsers, too - though I doubt my coding chops are up to creating a library wrapper - indeed, I’ll have to Google what one is! :-)
Best,
Keith

> On 26 Nov 2018, at 13:42, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:30 AM Keith Clarke via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the steer, Paul - I’ve not worked with XML in LiveCode so
>> hadn’t made the connection between the HTML markup structure & XML.
>

> Keith,
>
> I’ve used revXML for parsing HTML in somewhat controlled conditions. While
> revXML can work for HTML, your results will vary based on how well
> structured the HTML is. If there are tags that are not closed or are out of
> balance then revXML won’t give you the results you expect. If you are
> generating the HTML then it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is third party
> HTML then you may have to massage the HTML input to get it to work.
>
> It would be great if there were a library wrapper around one of the
> dedicated HTML parsers listed on this page:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_parsers
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps

Re: How to extract an entire element from an HTML file?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I've been thinking about a simple html parser as well to extract email
addresses or urls from a page.....

Tools that might help

1. regular expressions
2. item delimiter and chunks. (set itemdelimiter to tag you are trying to
extract)
3.replace command

Good luck.

On 11/26/18 1:46 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> I've been thinking about a simple html parser as well to extract email
> addresses or urls from a page.....
>
> Tools that might help
>
> 1. regular expressions

I've posted this link before but it is worth reading more than once. :)
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1732348/regex-match-open-tags-except-xhtml-self-contained-tags/1732454#1732454>

Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I had a couple of issues with the delivery of my
to the apple app store.

I followed Kee’s livecode lesson exactly, so what
do I need to do to fix this?

Here are the issues:
i386 (in com.(..myappname..).app/Contents/MacOS/revsecurity.dylib)
App sandbox not enabled - The following executables must include the "com.apple.security.app-sandbox" entitlement with a Boolean value of true in the entitlements property list. Refer to the App Sandbox <https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/app-sandbox/> page for more information on sandboxing your app.
Your help is appreciated in advance!
Thanks,
Rick

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Try this URL

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/com_apple_security_app-sandbox?language=objc

It’s not very useful. But it does say that entitlement needs a boolean.

Try adding to the entitlements.plist the following:

        <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
        <true/>

Wonder what your app is doing that my app was not. If we knew, we could add this to the list of entitlements and explain when it needs to be used.

Kee

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 1:51 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had a couple of issues with the delivery of my
> to the apple app store.
>
> I followed Kee’s livecode lesson exactly, so what
> do I need to do to fix this?
>
> Here are the issues:
> i386 (in com.(..myappname..).app/Contents/MacOS/revsecurity.dylib)
> App sandbox not enabled - The following executables must include the "com.apple.security.app-sandbox" entitlement with a Boolean value of true in the entitlements property list. Refer to the App Sandbox <https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/app-sandbox/> page for more information on sandboxing your app.
> Your help is appreciated in advance!
> Thanks,
> Rick

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
What is revsecurity.dylib used for? That probably tells us what you are using that my app was not.

Kee

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 2:57 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try this URL
>
> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/com_apple_security_app-sandbox?language=objc
>
> It’s not very useful. But it does say that entitlement needs a boolean.
>
> Try adding to the entitlements.plist the following:
>
> <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
> <true/>
>
> Wonder what your app is doing that my app was not. If we knew, we could add this to the list of entitlements and explain when it needs to be used.
>
> Kee
>
>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 1:51 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I had a couple of issues with the delivery of my
>> to the apple app store.
>>
>> I followed Kee’s livecode lesson exactly, so what
>> do I need to do to fix this?
>>
>> Here are the issues:
>> i386 (in com.(..myappname..).app/Contents/MacOS/revsecurity.dylib)
>> App sandbox not enabled - The following executables must include the "com.apple.security.app-sandbox" entitlement with a Boolean value of true in the entitlements property list. Refer to the App Sandbox <https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/app-sandbox/> page for more information on sandboxing your app.
>> Your help is appreciated in advance!
>> Thanks,
>> Rick

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Oooops.

My list of entitlements already included

        <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
        <true/>

Ignore my previous emails. No clue why revsecurity.dylib is triggering an entitlements issue. Perhaps it is standalone code that needs it’s own entitlements plist?

Kee

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 2:59 PM, Kee Nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is revsecurity.dylib used for? That probably tells us what you are using that my app was not.
>
> Kee
>
>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 2:57 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Try this URL
>>
>> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/com_apple_security_app-sandbox?language=objc
>>
>> It’s not very useful. But it does say that entitlement needs a boolean.
>>
>> Try adding to the entitlements.plist the following:
>>
>> <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
>> <true/>
>>
>> Wonder what your app is doing that my app was not. If we knew, we could add this to the list of entitlements and explain when it needs to be used.
>>
>> Kee
>>
>>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 1:51 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I had a couple of issues with the delivery of my
>>> to the apple app store.
>>>
>>> I followed Kee’s livecode lesson exactly, so what
>>> do I need to do to fix this?
>>>
>>> Here are the issues:
>>> i386 (in com.(..myappname..).app/Contents/MacOS/revsecurity.dylib)
>>> App sandbox not enabled - The following executables must include the "com.apple.security.app-sandbox" entitlement with a Boolean value of true in the entitlements property list. Refer to the App Sandbox <https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/app-sandbox/> page for more information on sandboxing your app.
>>> Your help is appreciated in advance!
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rick

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Kee,

It already has this so that can’t be it.

Rick

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 5:57 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
> <true/>

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Kee,

I don’t know why revsecuity.dylib is causing the problem if it is.

Is there a way to see if revsecuity.dylib is 32 bit instead of 64 bit?

Rick

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 6:09 PM, Kee Nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oooops.
>
> My list of entitlements already included
>
> <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
> <true/>
>
> Ignore my previous emails. No clue why revsecurity.dylib is triggering an entitlements issue. Perhaps it is standalone code that needs it’s own entitlements plist?
>
> Kee

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Kee,

I was wondering if perhaps revsecurity.dylib is being used
for the password protection of the stack.  That could be it.
If that is the problem though how are people supposed to
protect their code?

Rick

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 5:59 PM, Kee Nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is revsecurity.dylib used for? That probably tells us what you are using that my app was not.
>
> Kee

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Sounds like a bug report is in order?

Also, I wonder if you pull it out of the app and then do Get Info on it, whether it will tell you is is 32 or 64 bit?

Kee

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Kee,
>
> I was wondering if perhaps revsecurity.dylib is being used
> for the password protection of the stack.  That could be it.
> If that is the problem though how are people supposed to
> protect their code?
>
> Rick
>
>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 5:59 PM, Kee Nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What is revsecurity.dylib used for? That probably tells us what you are using that my app was not.
>>
>> Kee

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Kee,

I did a get info on revsecurity.dylib inside the contents of the standalone
and unfortunately it doesn’t tell me if it is 32 or 64 bit.  :-(

Rick

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 11:36 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sounds like a bug report is in order?
>
> Also, I wonder if you pull it out of the app and then do Get Info on it, whether it will tell you is is 32 or 64 bit?
>
> Kee
>
>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kee,
>>
>> I was wondering if perhaps revsecurity.dylib is being used
>> for the password protection of the stack.  That could be it.
>> If that is the problem though how are people supposed to
>> protect their code?
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 5:59 PM, Kee Nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is revsecurity.dylib used for? That probably tells us what you are using that my app was not.
>>>
>>> Kee

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Sounds like bug report. Sorry I’m no expert on revsecurity.dylib. Once you figure it out, happy to add it to the instructions.
Kee

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Kee,
>
> I did a get info on revsecurity.dylib inside the contents of the standalone
> and unfortunately it doesn’t tell me if it is 32 or 64 bit.  :-(
>
> Rick
>
>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 11:36 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like a bug report is in order?
>>
>> Also, I wonder if you pull it out of the app and then do Get Info on it, whether it will tell you is is 32 or 64 bit?
>>
>> Kee
>>
>>> On Nov 26, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kee,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if perhaps revsecurity.dylib is being used
>>> for the password protection of the stack.  That could be it.
>>> If that is the problem though how are people supposed to
>>> protect their code?
>>>
>>> Rick

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Kee,

I tried a couple of quick experiments.

I turned off the password encrypt protection
and the destroy-stack option to see if that
would remove the revsecurity.dylib.
Unfortunately I had no luck in removing it.

I will try some other things in the morning.

Thanks for getting back to me about it!

Rick

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 11:49 PM, kee nethery via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sounds like bug report. Sorry I’m no expert on revsecurity.dylib. Once you figure it out, happy to add it to the instructions.
> Kee

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Here is the problem:

lipo -info /Users/…(PathToMyAppContents)…/Contents/MacOS/revsecurity.dylib are: i386 x86_64

Notice that at the end it says i386

That is what apple is complaining about.

This is clearly a serious LiveCode revsecurity.dylib problem, and without it fixed
no one can submit a Macintosh App to the Apple App Store.

> i386 (in com.(..myappname..).app/Contents/MacOS/revsecurity.dylib)
> App sandbox not enabled - The following executables must include the "com.apple.security.app-sandbox" entitlement with a Boolean value of true in the entitlements property list. Refer to the App Sandbox <https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/app-sandbox/ <https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/app-sandbox/>> page for more information on sandboxing your app.

Rick

Re: Issues with app delivery!

Pi Digital via use-livecode
What version of LC?