How to properly mount your home folder in VMWare Fusion for doing development work

How to properly mount your home folder in VMWare Fusion for doing development work

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I’m posting this in case it helps anyone else facing a similar issue.

Yesterday I finally contact VMWare support about an issue I’ve been having
for quite a while now. During development I work on Mac and perform sanity
checks on Windows running in VMWare Fusion. When I find an issue on Windows
I prefer to quickly make a change in my dev tools and Mac and then relaunch
on Windows. Sometimes, however, the files I modified would appear as
corrupted and wouldn’t open in Windows until I restarted the VM.

The solution is to mount your Mac as a network drive rather than using the
Shared Folders feature in VMWare Fusion. Full details can be found here:

http://www.bluemangolearning.com/livecode/2018/04/vmware-fusion-mounting-a-network-drive-for-reliable-cross-platform-development-with-livecode/

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: How to properly mount your home folder in VMWare Fusion for doing development work

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
> On Apr 13, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m posting this in case it helps anyone else facing a similar issue.
>
> Yesterday I finally contact VMWare support about an issue I’ve been having
> for quite a while now. During development I work on Mac and perform sanity
> checks on Windows running in VMWare Fusion. When I find an issue on Windows
> I prefer to quickly make a change in my dev tools and Mac and then relaunch
> on Windows. Sometimes, however, the files I modified would appear as
> corrupted and wouldn’t open in Windows until I restarted the VM.
>
> The solution is to mount your Mac as a network drive rather than using the
> Shared Folders feature in VMWare Fusion. Full details can be found here:
>
> http://www.bluemangolearning.com/livecode/2018/04/vmware-fusion-mounting-a-network-drive-for-reliable-cross-platform-development-with-livecode/ <http://www.bluemangolearning.com/livecode/2018/04/vmware-fusion-mounting-a-network-drive-for-reliable-cross-platform-development-with-livecode/>
Did they say untying about fixing the shared folders feature? Or is this intended behavior? This used to work years ago.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>
canelasoftware.com <http://www.canelasoftware.com/>

Re: How to properly mount your home folder in VMWare Fusion for doing development work

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM, Mark Talluto via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did they say untying about fixing the shared folders feature? Or is this
> intended behavior? This used to work years ago.

The person I worked with had personally talked to the person responsible
for that feature. They are working on it but it is not a simple fix so I
wasn’t given any sort of timeline.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps
www.screensteps.com

Re: How to properly mount your home folder in VMWare Fusion for doing development work

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On Apr 13, 2018, at 9:48 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM, Mark Talluto via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Did they say untying about fixing the shared folders feature? Or is this
>> intended behavior? This used to work years ago.
>>

> The person I worked with had personally talked to the person responsible
> for that feature. They are working on it but it is not a simple fix so I
> wasn’t given any sort of timeline.

Ahh…good to know. Glad they are aware of the issue. Nice to have a workaround. Thanks!

Re: How to properly mount your home folder in VMWare Fusion for doing development work

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I have an issue with Parallels and their folder sharing feature. I *think* they are using a kind of folder redirection. It takes forever to do anything in a Windows app in the VM. It runs much better on a real workstation, although I must say not as fast as on MacOS. Not sure why the engine is so much faster on MacOS.

Bob S