How to quit an Android app

J. Landman Gay
I have an Android app with a simple handler:

on doQuit
   quit
end doQuit

It quits as directed. On relaunch it crashes. On a second relaunch it
works fine. This is consistent behavior.

I have tried sending "quit" in 0, locking messages, etc. How do you
cleanly quit an Android standalone?

Re: How to quit an Android app

ScottR
Maybe try sending the quit command after a short delay instead of from
within the handler?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 12/20/16, 9:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have an Android app with a simple handler:
>
>on doQuit
>   quit
>end doQuit
>
>It quits as directed. On relaunch it crashes. On a second relaunch it
>works fine. This is consistent behavior.
>
>I have tried sending "quit" in 0, locking messages, etc. How do you
>cleanly quit an Android standalone?
>
>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: How to quit an Android app

J. Landman Gay
Yeah, I tried that. Maybe "in 0" isn't long enough?

I'm wondering if it's TSNet, since the app loads another stack from a
server. On the second launch that crashes, I see the loader stack
briefly and it crashes when it tries to download the remote stack.
There's a way to remove TSNet from RAM, I'll look it up and see if
that's the problem.

I assume no one else sees this?

On 12/20/16 11:40 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Maybe try sending the quit command after a short delay instead of from
> within the handler?
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>

> On 12/20/16, 9:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have an Android app with a simple handler:
>>
>> on doQuit
>>   quit
>> end doQuit
>>
>> It quits as directed. On relaunch it crashes. On a second relaunch it
>> works fine. This is consistent behavior.
>>
>> I have tried sending "quit" in 0, locking messages, etc. How do you
>> cleanly quit an Android standalone?

Re: How to quit an Android app

J. Landman Gay
Sending "quit" in 10 milliseconds doesn't crash the app on second launch
(good.) But it hangs for a while and then returns a "socket timeout"
message. So it does look like maybe it's TSNet.

On 12/21/16 12:20 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Yeah, I tried that. Maybe "in 0" isn't long enough?
>
> I'm wondering if it's TSNet, since the app loads another stack from a
> server. On the second launch that crashes, I see the loader stack
> briefly and it crashes when it tries to download the remote stack.
> There's a way to remove TSNet from RAM, I'll look it up and see if
> that's the problem.
>
> I assume no one else sees this?
>

> On 12/20/16 11:40 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>> Maybe try sending the quit command after a short delay instead of from
>> within the handler?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott Rossi
>> Creative Director
>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>>

>> On 12/20/16, 9:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay"
>> <[hidden email] on behalf of
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an Android app with a simple handler:
>>>
>>> on doQuit
>>>   quit
>>> end doQuit
>>>
>>> It quits as directed. On relaunch it crashes. On a second relaunch it
>>> works fine. This is consistent behavior.
>>>
>>> I have tried sending "quit" in 0, locking messages, etc. How do you
>>> cleanly quit an Android standalone?

Re: How to quit an Android app

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Hi,

just a shot in the dark, but did you try tsNetClose before quitting. This would close all open connections and disables tsNet.

Matthias

> Am 21.12.2016 um 07:24 schrieb J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>:
>
> Sending "quit" in 10 milliseconds doesn't crash the app on second launch (good.) But it hangs for a while and then returns a "socket timeout" message. So it does look like maybe it's TSNet.
>

> On 12/21/16 12:20 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> Yeah, I tried that. Maybe "in 0" isn't long enough?
>>
>> I'm wondering if it's TSNet, since the app loads another stack from a
>> server. On the second launch that crashes, I see the loader stack
>> briefly and it crashes when it tries to download the remote stack.
>> There's a way to remove TSNet from RAM, I'll look it up and see if
>> that's the problem.
>>
>> I assume no one else sees this?
>>

>> On 12/20/16 11:40 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>>> Maybe try sending the quit command after a short delay instead of from
>>> within the handler?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Scott Rossi
>>> Creative Director
>>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>>>

>>> On 12/20/16, 9:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay"
>>> <[hidden email] on behalf of

Re: How to quit an Android app

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Hi, ignore my last posting. Just noticed that you wrote about that possiblitiy already.

> Am 21.12.2016 um 18:05 schrieb Matthias Rebbe <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi,
>
> just a shot in the dark, but did you try tsNetClose before quitting. This would close all open connections and disables tsNet.
>
> Matthias
>

>> Am 21.12.2016 um 07:24 schrieb J. Landman Gay <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Sending "quit" in 10 milliseconds doesn't crash the app on second launch (good.) But it hangs for a while and then returns a "socket timeout" message. So it does look like maybe it's TSNet.
>>

>> On 12/21/16 12:20 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>> Yeah, I tried that. Maybe "in 0" isn't long enough?
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if it's TSNet, since the app loads another stack from a
>>> server. On the second launch that crashes, I see the loader stack
>>> briefly and it crashes when it tries to download the remote stack.
>>> There's a way to remove TSNet from RAM, I'll look it up and see if
>>> that's the problem.
>>>
>>> I assume no one else sees this?

>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

Re: How to quit an Android app

J. Landman Gay
I did write about it but I hadn't tried it yet. You were right on the
nose, that fixes it. I had to allow a short wait. This fails as before:

   tsNetClose
   quit

But this works:

   tsNetClose
   wait 1 with messages
   quit

Success! :)

On 12/21/16 11:17 AM, Matthias Rebbe wrote:

> Hi, ignore my last posting. Just noticed that you wrote about that possiblitiy already.
>

>> Am 21.12.2016 um 18:05 schrieb Matthias Rebbe <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a shot in the dark, but did you try tsNetClose before quitting. This would close all open connections and disables tsNet.
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>>> Am 21.12.2016 um 07:24 schrieb J. Landman Gay <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>>
>>> Sending "quit" in 10 milliseconds doesn't crash the app on second launch (good.) But it hangs for a while and then returns a "socket timeout" message. So it does look like maybe it's TSNet.

>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

Re: How to quit an Android app

Richard Gaskin
J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > I did write about it but I hadn't tried it yet. You were right on
 > the nose, that fixes it. I had to allow a short wait. This fails
 > as before:
 >
 >    tsNetClose
 >    quit
 >
 > But this works:
 >
 >    tsNetClose
 >    wait 1 with messages
 >    quit
 >
 > Success! :)

I would like to think that the introduction of the new external would
not require us to rewrite our apps.

Have you filed a bug report on that?

Re: How to quit an Android app

J. Landman Gay
On 12/22/16 11:46 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> I would like to think that the introduction of the new external would
> not require us to rewrite our apps.
>
> Have you filed a bug report on that?

No, for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't seem much different than
the need to close all running processes before quitting. Second, if the
report requires that I drop what I'm doing to create a test stack, the
bug is likely to go on hold, particularly if there's a workaround.

Re: How to quit an Android app

Alex Tweedly
IMO, having a *requirement* for a user to create a test stack - EVEN IF
THE SIMPLE DESCRIPTION IS CLEAR AND UNAMBIGUOUS - is an unacceptable
bureaucratic nonsense.

I'm all in favour of creating test stacks to demonstrate a problem -
esp. if the originally failing stack is complex, or if this can save the
development team significant time. But if it is simply moving the time
burden from the developers to the users, then it's unreasonable.

I'd be OK with the situation of entering a bug with clear description -
and giving the developers the option to request a test stack; but to
impose that as a blanket, requirement before the bug will be properly
considered is not OK.

-- Alex.

On 22/12/2016 18:44, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 12/22/16 11:46 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> I would like to think that the introduction of the new external would
>> not require us to rewrite our apps.
>>
>> Have you filed a bug report on that?
>
> No, for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't seem much different
> than the need to close all running processes before quitting. Second,
> if the report requires that I drop what I'm doing to create a test
> stack, the bug is likely to go on hold, particularly if there's a
> workaround.

Re: How to quit an Android app

J. Landman Gay
To be fair, a test stack isn't always required. They're actually pretty
flexible about that. What I meant in my post was that if the test does,
in fact, need a stack in order to adequately report it, I tend to
procrastinate because I'm almost always in the middle of something else.
If there's a workaround I just use it and the reporting may or may not
happen later on.

On 12/22/16 3:28 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> IMO, having a *requirement* for a user to create a test stack - EVEN IF
> THE SIMPLE DESCRIPTION IS CLEAR AND UNAMBIGUOUS - is an unacceptable
> bureaucratic nonsense.
>
> I'm all in favour of creating test stacks to demonstrate a problem -
> esp. if the originally failing stack is complex, or if this can save the
> development team significant time. But if it is simply moving the time
> burden from the developers to the users, then it's unreasonable.
>
> I'd be OK with the situation of entering a bug with clear description -
> and giving the developers the option to request a test stack; but to
> impose that as a blanket, requirement before the bug will be properly
> considered is not OK.
>
> -- Alex.
>
> On 22/12/2016 18:44, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 12/22/16 11:46 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> I would like to think that the introduction of the new external would
>>> not require us to rewrite our apps.
>>>
>>> Have you filed a bug report on that?
>>
>> No, for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't seem much different
>> than the need to close all running processes before quitting. Second,
>> if the report requires that I drop what I'm doing to create a test
>> stack, the bug is likely to go on hold, particularly if there's a
>> workaround.

Re: How to quit an Android app

Bob Sneidar-2
Point taken. However, being an IT person and having to work with customers to resolve their issues, I find that regularly, the user will miss some critical piece of information that would take me right to the problem. Not only that, I have found that more times than I would like to admit, the customer has already concluded what they think the problem is, and want to redirect my efforts to just that one thing, so they spoon feed me just the information necessary to get me to look at the issue in that light. Still others (and I don't claim this is the case with anyone of us but I offer it just for entertainment's sake) I have had users who did something wrong, something I repeatedly told them not to do, something they signed a form saying they would not do, and did anyway, and are anxious that I do not find out what that thing is.

To put it another way, I tell my techs to listen to what the user tells them, but never to believe them. ALWAYS verify. That cannot be done without either remoting into your workstation, or having a copy or sample of wht you are seeing.

Bob S

On Dec 22, 2016, at 13:28 , Alex Tweedly <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

IMO, having a *requirement* for a user to create a test stack - EVEN IF THE SIMPLE DESCRIPTION IS CLEAR AND UNAMBIGUOUS - is an unacceptable bureaucratic nonsense.

RE: How to quit an Android app

Ralph DiMola
I just had an interesting Android quit issues. I have to check if this is an
Android problem only or a characteristic of the base engine. I wonder if
this is related to stopping the debugger in the IDE and have some calling
handler do something?

Command test1
 Repeat while not test2()
  Answer "not after quit"
 End repeat
End test1

Function test2
 Answer "quit?" with "yes" and "Cancel"
 If it = "Yes" then quit
 Return true
End test2

When you tap on "yes" you see the answer dialog in test1 then the app quits.
This is wrong, why is this repeat loop still running? But... when change
test1 like this then the app quits immediately as expected.

Command test1
Local tResult
 Put test2() into tResult
 Repeat while not tResult
  Answer "not after quit"
  Put test2() into tResult
 End repeat
End test1

I could see how this could bite you in the butt. I only noticed it because
of the answer dialog in test1.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Re: How to quit an Android app

Charles Warwick

On 23/12/2016 3:46 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
> > I did write about it but I hadn't tried it yet. You were right on
> > the nose, that fixes it. I had to allow a short wait. This fails
> > as before:
> >
> >    tsNetClose
> >    quit
> >
> > But this works:
> >
> >    tsNetClose
> >    wait 1 with messages
> >    quit
> >
> > Success! :)
>
> I would like to think that the introduction of the new external would
> not require us to rewrite our apps.
>
> Have you filed a bug report on that?

I think I know what is going on and believe it is fixed in the next
version of tsNet (1.2.6) that will come out with LC 8.1.3-rc1 but I will
verify that.

In the meantime I will file a bug report on that for completeness.

Cheers,

Charles