How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Mark Rauterkus
Hi,

Looking for best practices.

I want to create in LiveCode, Android Apps and have them run on tablets.
And, I want to have them SHARE / TRADE text data. But, I don't have
INTERNET. The Andoid devices have wifi. And they even have Bluetooth 4.0.

What to do?

Background: The school district won't allow them to hook up to the school's
internet via wifi. Getting internet via our own cable is too expensive.
And, we go to too many sites. And, getting a CLEAR internet Hub is costly
too. But, that might be the best route. Setting up a 'hot spot' with my
internet phone costs an extra $45 a month and with limited bandwidth.

If I can't communicate directly between devices, (doubt that I can), then
it might be easy to set up an INTRANET with a headless server on an extra
iMac or PC with a wifi router. Then we could talk at the site on that
network as much as we desire.

Then, from time to time, I could unplug the server and bring it to the
internet and capture the data for archives, if desired.

Getting that server to run on LiveCode would be an extra benefit / bonus
too.

--
Ta.

Mark Rauterkus       [hidden email]

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Mark Talluto

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 11:16 AM, Mark Rauterkus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If I can't communicate directly between devices, (doubt that I can), then
> it might be easy to set up an INTRANET with a headless server on an extra
> iMac or PC with a wifi router. Then we could talk at the site on that
> network as much as we desire.

You could communicate directly to each other with the following setup:
1. Bring your own wifi router for LAN use (not connected to WAN)
2. Have each device communicate over sockets, similar to a chat program.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io
canelasoftware.com

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Ben Rubinstein
Hi Mark,

Two possible answers:

a) Use any (err.. virtually) wifi access point to create a network that the
devices can be on, then they can communicate directly with each other, even
though that access point won't actually be connected to the internet.

b) Make it worth Monte's while to port the mergBLE extension to Android, then
use Bluetooth to connect the apps.  It works great on iOS, but unfortunately
is not yet available on Android.  Again, this solution would allow the apps to
communicate directly between devices.

If communicating directly between devices is your preference, then this will
certainly be easier than setting up an intranet with a server in the middle.
But if you wanted to do that, then it's certainly possible to write that
server in LiveCode, using sockets - which now apparently are available on
mobile platforms as well.

(My personal preference is (b), because then I could take advantage of this...)

Ben

On 30/11/2015 19:16, Mark Rauterkus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking for best practices.
>
> I want to create in LiveCode, Android Apps and have them run on tablets.
> And, I want to have them SHARE / TRADE text data. But, I don't have
> INTERNET. The Andoid devices have wifi. And they even have Bluetooth 4.0.
>
> What to do?
>
> Background: The school district won't allow them to hook up to the school's
> internet via wifi. Getting internet via our own cable is too expensive.
> And, we go to too many sites. And, getting a CLEAR internet Hub is costly
> too. But, that might be the best route. Setting up a 'hot spot' with my
> internet phone costs an extra $45 a month and with limited bandwidth.
>
> If I can't communicate directly between devices, (doubt that I can), then
> it might be easy to set up an INTRANET with a headless server on an extra
> iMac or PC with a wifi router. Then we could talk at the site on that
> network as much as we desire.
>
> Then, from time to time, I could unplug the server and bring it to the
> internet and capture the data for archives, if desired.
>
> Getting that server to run on LiveCode would be an extra benefit / bonus
> too.

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Monte Goulding-2

> On 1 Dec 2015, at 6:32 am, Ben Rubinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> b) Make it worth Monte's while to port the mergBLE extension to Android, then use Bluetooth to connect the apps.  It works great on iOS, but unfortunately is not yet available on Android.  Again, this solution would allow the apps to communicate directly between devices.

There’s a strong possibility I will be getting started on mergBLE for Android soon. However, the project is limited to device discovery and reading the service data so we can implement Eddystone beacons.

Cheers

Monte

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Advance IT BITCOM
Create a workgroup for all devices and share folders with privileges. Once
this is done add code in New app to search iPhone range for devices and
share
On Nov 30, 2015 2:16 PM, "Mark Rauterkus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking for best practices.
>
> I want to create in LiveCode, Android Apps and have them run on tablets.
> And, I want to have them SHARE / TRADE text data. But, I don't have
> INTERNET. The Andoid devices have wifi. And they even have Bluetooth 4.0.
>
> What to do?
>
> Background: The school district won't allow them to hook up to the school's
> internet via wifi. Getting internet via our own cable is too expensive.
> And, we go to too many sites. And, getting a CLEAR internet Hub is costly
> too. But, that might be the best route. Setting up a 'hot spot' with my
> internet phone costs an extra $45 a month and with limited bandwidth.
>
> If I can't communicate directly between devices, (doubt that I can), then
> it might be easy to set up an INTRANET with a headless server on an extra
> iMac or PC with a wifi router. Then we could talk at the site on that
> network as much as we desire.
>
> Then, from time to time, I could unplug the server and bring it to the
> internet and capture the data for archives, if desired.
>
> Getting that server to run on LiveCode would be an extra benefit / bonus
> too.
>

> --
> Ta.
>

> Mark Rauterkus       [hidden email]

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Simon
Monte Goulding-2 wrote
There’s a strong possibility I will be getting started on mergBLE for Android soon.
Wahoo!!
Any idea what the further costing would be to bring on the full BLE?
I'd would be interested in a crowed sourced project.

Simon

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Monte Goulding-2

> On 1 Dec 2015, at 1:46 pm, Simon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wahoo!!
> Any idea what the further costing would be to bring on the full BLE?
> I'd would be interested in a crowed sourced project.

I’ll know more once I’ve implemented what I need to do the eddystone beacons.

Cheers

Monte

Re: How would YOU trade data within LC Android app between 2 tablets without INTERNET?

Mark Rauterkus-2

Thanks for tips so far: But, .... Advice From: Advance IT BITCOM went
zooming past me to quickly to comprehend.

--- snip ---
Create a workgroup for all devices and share folders with privileges. Once
this is done add code in New app to search iPhone range for devices and
share
--- end snip ---

So, to create a "workgroup." I see this on the Mac.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workgroup_Manager

The iPhone range for devices must be for iOS, not Andoid, right?

Seems like a simple solution, beyond that "add code in New app" part too.