HyperCard Basics

Richmond Mathewson-2
Having what my wife, all too accurately, terms "A crawl through your
sh*t" [meaning digging through my self-reproducing piles of computer
components, converters, second-hand hard drives and so on] I came upon
[buried very deep indeed] a little book called
'HyperCard Basics'. How that booklet managed to get from Carbondale,
Illinois, via Saudi Arabia, The UAE and Scotland to Bulgaria escapes me.

So; opened the thing for the first time since about 1994 and started
reading:

Sorting Cards

The Sort by Name command in the Utilities menu lets you arrange cards
alphabetically by either
first or last name.
I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

Searching for text

1. Choose Find from the Go menu.
I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

The Recent command

AS you go from card to card and stack to stack, HyperCard
automatically keeps a record of where you've been. The Recent
command in the Go menu shows (in miniature) the card you
have looked at, up to the last 42.

I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

Certainly View/Recent does not do that.

Re: HyperCard Basics

dunbarxx
Richmond.

-- Both HC and LC allow sorting cards with a sortKey:

 sort cds by word 2 of the short name of this cd

-- It is true that there is no "go" menu, and you have to script your own find. What has replaced it, with cmd-F, is the find and replace gadget. Much more flexible and powerful, if less quaint.

-- There is a "recent" keyword in LC, but what HC really had was a super thumbNail dialog that showed all recent cards. Old fashioned but cool. LC seems to have diminished that functionality.

Craig

Richmond wrote:

 > Sorting Cards
 >
 > The Sort by Name command in the Utilities menu lets you arrange cards
 > alphabetically by either
 > first or last name.
 > I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

See the sort command in the Dictionary.

 > Searching for text
 >
 > 1. Choose Find from the Go menu.
 > I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

See the Find item in the Edit menu.

 > The Recent command
 >
 > AS you go from card to card and stack to stack, HyperCard
 > automatically keeps a record of where you've been. The Recent
 > command in the Go menu shows (in miniature) the card you
 > have looked at, up to the last 42.

 > I wonder how one does that in Livecode?
 >
 > Certainly View/Recent does not do that.

LiveCode maintains a list of recent cards; if you need thumbnails of
those you can create a dialog that uses the import snapshot command to
populate it from the recentCards.

LiveCode is not HyperCard, nor it is SuperCard, nor OMO, nor Gain.
Attempting to use materials written for other programs to learn LiveCode
will likely be more frustrating that just using the materials written
for LiveCode.

That said, it might be a fun exercise to build HyperCard in LiveCode,
smaller object model, B&W graphics, limit groups, and all.

FWIW, some time ago I wrote an article titled "The True Power of
HyperCard", which includes a list of some of the differences:
<http://livecodejournal.com/features/the-true-power-of-hypercard.html>

Re: HyperCard Basics

Peter Alcibiades
Richard, thank you so much for that link to a wise, amusing and charming article.  Yes, you are right.  The charm of it was youth.  Which we only realise when we look back on it as you did there.   It is the experience some of us will have had - of returning home after a long absence to a place whose memories we had carried with us and taken for granted.

But when we got there again, everything seemed so extraordinarily small.  Surely this is not how it was.

Yes, that is really how Hypercard was.

This is how Conrad puts it:

"...our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone—has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash—together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions."

Al

Re: HyperCard Basics

Alejandro Tejada
Interesting enough, LiveCode had more
power than all XTalk software created
before... but there are just a few of us
who actually knows how to use fully
all this power.

Some years ago, I ask in this mail list:

Where are the new Livecode learners?
Why they do not participate more in
this mail list?

This question still remains valid.

It's more easy to create a stack with
many cards, than a website...

If I had a classrom of Livecode learners
their first project would be a
Mail List Reader (download, store, bookmark
and display all messages from this mail list)

Their second project would be an interactive
and internet connected magazine (a stack)
about their favorite topic:
(sports, fashion, TV, games, etc.)

Their third project would be a version of
the game Checkers... etc, etc.

Al

Re: HyperCard Basics

Alejandro Tejada
Alain Farmer wrote
Is it time for an upgrade of FreeGUI to LiveCode ? ;-)
Actually, I have show LiveCode to many people and
their answer is: I will use LiveCode if it works and
looks like the software that I already use...

(I understand that they mean that LiveCode should have
the interface and keyboard shortcults used by Office Suites)

Al

Re: HyperCard Basics

Alain Farmer
No, n-o-t microsoft-office! No-ooooo! ;-)
HyperCard had LOTS of keyboard shortcuts.
Recent-cards was a cool feature, but I didn't use it much.
It would be easy to recreate it with LiveCode.
Only the thumbnails were missing in the MetaCard version (aka FreeGUI).
OTOH i don't think there is much-interest in this; not enough to warrant a recode.
Nice chatting with you, Al.

Alain Farmer wrote

On 18/09/14 07:42, Alain Farmer wrote:
> No, n-o-t microsoft-office! No-ooooo! ;-)
> HyperCard had LOTS of keyboard shortcuts.
> Recent-cards was a cool feature, but I didn't use it much.

I never use it: I just thought, on reading 'HyperCard Basics' it might
be fun to stir the pot.

Although a Recent Cards feature with a load of thumbnails might be,
indeed, a cool feature.

AND, various interesting responses have been posted . . .

> It would be easy to recreate it with LiveCode.
> Only the thumbnails were missing in the MetaCard version (aka FreeGUI).
> OTOH i don't think there is much-interest in this; not enough to warrant a recode.
> Nice chatting with you, Al.

I'll second that about Microsoft Office.

Perhaps . . . if I can find the time, I'll make a merry little list of
all the keyboard shortcuts.

I use a Nostromo Gamepad as a way to quickly navigate around and do all
sorts of repetitive tasks
whilst I am programming: obviously that would not be possible without
all the keyboard shortcuts
Livecode possesses.

"works and looks like the software that I already use"

Is so subjective it shouldn't be bothered with.

Why does this make me think of lazy slobs who are not prepared to make
an effort to learn a bit?

Similar comments: "I couldn't change from Windows to Linux because I
would have to learn how to do everything all over again."

"LibreOffice is just not Microsoft Office." - you're dead right it's
not: that is one of its greatest strengths.

"I cannot give up disposable diapers and move to proper underpants
because that would mean I would have to learn how
to clean my bottom." . . . whoops, perhaps I should slap myself on the
wrist (or bottom) for that one.

Let's see what software I use:

Word-processing: Appleworks 6 [either on my G5 or the Windows version
via WINE on Linux]

E-mail: Thunderbird and TenFourBird [Mac PPC version of Thunderbird]

Graphics: GIMP [This, I believe stands for 'GIMP Is More than Photoshop'
. . . :) ]

Right: anyone for making Livecode look like Appleworks? . . . LOL

Slapping antiquated Hypercard-like interfaces on Livecode is also fairly
daft as
that restricts access to the vast amount of things one can do with Livecode
which Hypercard never dreamt about.

Richmond [back in the hood with a vengeance].

Re: HyperCard Basics

Jonathan Cooper-3
I loved the simplicity of HyperCard's cmd-F "Find", so I created my own in LiveCode:

on commandKeyDown whichKey
   switch whichKey
      case "e"
         global prevFindString
         ask "Find:" with prevFindString
         find it
         if the result <> "" then beep
         put it into prevFindString
         break
      case "g"
         global prevFindString
         find prevFindString
      default
         pass commandKeyDown
   end switch
end commandKeyDown

Now, when I want to find some text in the current stack, I press cmd-E, start typing, press enter. To find subsequent occurrences, I press cmd-G.

I tried scripting the message-box, to make it work just like HyperCard, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. Can't remember why – it was a long time ago (when LiveCode was still called "Revolution").

Jonathan

Jonathan Cooper
www.doctordada.com

On 18/09/14 11:52, Jonathan Cooper wrote:

> I loved the simplicity of HyperCard's cmd-F "Find", so I created my own in LiveCode:
>
> on commandKeyDown whichKey
>     switch whichKey
>        case "e"
>           global prevFindString
>           ask "Find:" with prevFindString
>           find it
>           if the result <> "" then beep
>           put it into prevFindString
>           break
>        case "g"
>           global prevFindString
>           find prevFindString
>        default
>           pass commandKeyDown
>     end switch
> end commandKeyDown
>
> Now, when I want to find some text in the current stack, I press cmd-E, start typing, press enter. To find subsequent occurrences, I press cmd-G.
>
> I tried scripting the message-box, to make it work just like HyperCard, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. Can't remember why – it was a long time ago (when LiveCode was still called "Revolution").

That's marvellous, and goes to prove how extensible the Livecode
interface is.

Richmond.

> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Cooper
> www.doctordada.com
>
> On 18/09/2014, at 9:18 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> -- It is true that there is no "go" menu, and you have to script your own find. What has replaced it, with cmd-F, is the find and replace gadget. Much more flexible and powerful, if less quaint.

Re: HyperCard Basics

Alejandro Tejada
Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote
That's marvellous, and goes to prove how extensible the Livecode
interface is.
Ideally, there should be many different interfaces, depending of
the kind of work that we are doing in LiveCode...

An interface designed for projects that require a lot of Editing and Formatting Text
inside fields is completely different than another interface created for projects that
use only images (like games or interactive presentations) or vector graphics...

Al

Re: HyperCard Basics

Devin Asay

On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps . . . if I can find the time, I'll make a merry little list of all the keyboard shortcuts.

Here’s my list of LC keyboard shortcuts. Tell me if I’m missing anything, and I’ll add it.

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: HyperCard Basics

Devin Asay
Here it is again, with the actual link included. :-P

http://livecode.byu.edu/helps/shortcuts.php

On 18/09/14 19:03, Devin Asay wrote:

> Here it is again, with the actual link included. :-P
>
> On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps . . . if I can find the time, I'll make a merry little list of all the keyboard shortcuts.
>
> Here’s my list of LC keyboard shortcuts. Tell me if I’m missing anything, and I’ll add it.
>
> http://livecode.byu.edu/helps/shortcuts.php
>
> Devin
>
> Devin Asay
> Office of Digital Humanities