I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
My suggestion might be terrible, but I put it in for discussion. I suggested LC take on the role of ad aggregator for providing in-app adds for apps made with LC. It could be a source of revenue for the company and for developers, and it could attract more developers looking for easy solutions to monetize their apps.

I won't be offended if anyone thinks it is an awful idea.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Ouch.

On 7/21/17 11:58 pm, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:

> My suggestion might be terrible, but I put it in for discussion. I suggested LC take on the role of ad aggregator for providing in-app adds for apps made with LC. It could be a source of revenue for the company and for developers, and it could attract more developers looking for easy solutions to monetize their apps.
>
> I won't be offended if anyone thinks it is an awful idea.

> Sent from my iPhone

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My suggestion might be terrible, but I put it in for discussion. I
> suggested LC take on the role of ad aggregator for providing in-app adds
> for apps made with LC. It could be a source of revenue for the company and
> for developers, and it could attract more developers looking for easy
> solutions to monetize their apps.

You mean inside the IDE?????

> I won't be offended if anyone thinks it is an awful idea.

I'd be more than slightly offended if a program I pay hundreds of dollars a
year to have started giving me advertisements.

Now, for livecode to get a company that would *actually* work with us on
our own in-app advertising, rather than telling us to go away because we
don't have millions of customers yet would be something desirable  . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
No he said apps MADE in Livecode. But I think it's a bad idea for RunRev (livecode whatever) to get sidetracked. I really like the progress they are making with new features and bug fixes. I want this long train to keep on moving. After all, without love, where would you be right now? (hmmm... those would be great lyrics for a song!)

Bob S

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 14:24 , Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You mean inside the IDE?????

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I did not mean inside the IDE.

I was suggesting that perhaps providing a start to finish way for us to have ads in the apps we make could provide extra income to RunRev - more than the cost of hiring extra staff to make that happen.

I don't want to sound like I know what is best for them - I don't - just proposing it as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 5:40 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No he said apps MADE in Livecode. But I think it's a bad idea for RunRev (livecode whatever) to get sidetracked. I really like the progress they are making with new features and bug fixes. I want this long train to keep on moving. After all, without love, where would you be right now? (hmmm... those would be great lyrics for a song!)
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jul 21, 2017, at 14:24 , Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You mean inside the IDE?????

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was suggesting that perhaps providing a start to finish way for us to
> have ads in the apps we make could provide extra income to RunRev - more
> than the cost of hiring extra staff to make that happen.
>
> They don't even have ads for *us* inside apps working in a usable way at
the moment.

There is supposedly a facility for it, but the company that supposedly
provides them wants nothing to do with us.

I stopped work on my mobile app over this, and will probably resume it in
swift if they don't get around to fixing this.

From my prior inquiries, I don't think that anyone on this list has
successfully placed an ad with it.

And on top of that, I expect ad revenue for my work to go to me, not
livecode (or are they going to cut me in on *their* sales????)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
When you sign up with an ad aggregator, a portion of the revenue goes to the aggregator. This would be no different. Basically, I am suggesting something like MobFox for LiveCode. Voluntary, of course.

We need a realistic and practical as solution for ads.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 6:41 PM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was suggesting that perhaps providing a start to finish way for us to have ads in the apps we make could provide extra income to RunRev - more than the cost of hiring extra staff to make that happen.
>>
> They don't even have ads for *us* inside apps working in a usable way at the moment.
>
> There is supposedly a facility for it, but the company that supposedly provides them wants nothing to do with us.
>
> I stopped work on my mobile app over this, and will probably resume it in swift if they don't get around to fixing this.
>
> From my prior inquiries, I don't think that anyone on this list has successfully placed an ad with it.
>
> And on top of that, I expect ad revenue for my work to go to me, not livecode (or are they going to cut me in on their sales????)
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
The logistics of operating an ad aggregator would be a full time business
in itself I'd imagine. However lc forming a partnership with one of the top
existing aggregators and creating a widget to display the ads I could see
being a winner.

For apps made in lc community they could take a percentage of the ad click
revenue and for paid versions they don't.

On 21 Jul 2017 11:50 pm, "Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you sign up with an ad aggregator, a portion of the revenue goes to
> the aggregator. This would be no different. Basically, I am suggesting
> something like MobFox for LiveCode. Voluntary, of course.
>
> We need a realistic and practical as solution for ads.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 21, 2017, at 6:41 PM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I was suggesting that perhaps providing a start to finish way for us to
> have ads in the apps we make could provide extra income to RunRev - more
> than the cost of hiring extra staff to make that happen.
> >>
> > They don't even have ads for *us* inside apps working in a usable way at
> the moment.
> >
> > There is supposedly a facility for it, but the company that supposedly
> provides them wants nothing to do with us.
> >
> > I stopped work on my mobile app over this, and will probably resume it
> in swift if they don't get around to fixing this.
> >
> > From my prior inquiries, I don't think that anyone on this list has
> successfully placed an ad with it.
> >
> > And on top of that, I expect ad revenue for my work to go to me, not
> livecode (or are they going to cut me in on their sales????)
> >

> > --
> > Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> > (702) 508-8462

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
That would work for me.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 22, 2017, at 1:30 AM, Dan Brown via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The logistics of operating an ad aggregator would be a full time business
> in itself I'd imagine. However lc forming a partnership with one of the top
> existing aggregators and creating a widget to display the ads I could see
> being a winner.
>
> For apps made in lc community they could take a percentage of the ad click
> revenue and for paid versions they don't.
>
> On 21 Jul 2017 11:50 pm, "Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When you sign up with an ad aggregator, a portion of the revenue goes to
>> the aggregator. This would be no different. Basically, I am suggesting
>> something like MobFox for LiveCode. Voluntary, of course.
>>
>> We need a realistic and practical as solution for ads.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>> have ads in the apps we make could provide extra income to RunRev - more
>> than the cost of hiring extra staff to make that happen.
>>>>
>>> They don't even have ads for *us* inside apps working in a usable way at
>> the moment.
>>>
>>> There is supposedly a facility for it, but the company that supposedly
>> provides them wants nothing to do with us.
>>>
>>> I stopped work on my mobile app over this, and will probably resume it
>> in swift if they don't get around to fixing this.
>>>
>>> From my prior inquiries, I don't think that anyone on this list has
>> successfully placed an ad with it.
>>>
>>> And on top of that, I expect ad revenue for my work to go to me, not
>> livecode (or are they going to cut me in on their sales????)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
>>> (702) 508-8462

Re: I just added an enhancement request - 20138 - suggestion for in-app ads

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:30 PM, Dan Brown via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The logistics of operating an ad aggregator would be a full time business
> in itself I'd imagine. However lc forming a partnership with one of the top
> existing aggregators and creating a widget to display the ads I could see
> being a winner.

LC  mobile is *marketed* as having this for mobile.  It's just that the
"partner" won't talk to us.

Then again, supper I bought it supposedly supported eps when I bought it
(which meant on a couple of unix that had display postscript . . .)
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Dan Brown wrote:

 > The logistics of operating an ad aggregator would be a full time
 > business in itself I'd imagine. However lc forming a partnership
 > with one of the top existing aggregators and creating a widget to
 > display the ads I could see being a winner.
 >
 > For apps made in lc community they could take a percentage of the
 > ad click revenue and for paid versions they don't.

Maybe a community member could do that.