ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Has anyone got a calendar library for LiveCode? I'm developing an app, part of which exports a handful of events to do with ordering regular medication. I'd like to export an ICS format file containing 3 all-day events titled something like the following:

1. MEDS RUN-OUT TODAY
2. COLLECT MEDS
3. ORDER NEXT MEDS

What I'm looking for is either a full calendar library that I can use to generate such a ICS file, or the minimalist version, ie just enough calendar support to generate this minimal ICS file - nothing more complex.

Anyone know of anything suitable?

Thanks

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Loughborough, UK

Re: ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in this forum post Bill Vlahos wrote about a stack he wrote

Here's the direct link to his GitHub repo
https://github.com/bvlahos/Scripting-Calendars <https://github.com/bvlahos/Scripting-Calendars>

Regards,
Matthias

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

> Am 01.10.2020 um 19:08 schrieb Peter Reid via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Has anyone got a calendar library for LiveCode? I'm developing an app, part of which exports a handful of events to do with ordering regular medication. I'd like to export an ICS format file containing 3 all-day events titled something like the following:
>
> 1. MEDS RUN-OUT TODAY
> 2. COLLECT MEDS
> 3. ORDER NEXT MEDS
>
> What I'm looking for is either a full calendar library that I can use to generate such a ICS file, or the minimalist version, ie just enough calendar support to generate this minimal ICS file - nothing more complex.
>
> Anyone know of anything suitable?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter Reid
> Loughborough, UK

Re: ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
And heres a link to Andre Garzias post about an iCalendar library he created and shared through GitHub
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?t=32187

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

> Am 01.10.2020 um 23:22 schrieb matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in this forum post Bill Vlahos wrote about a stack he wrote
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=25046
>
> Here's the direct link to his GitHub repo
> https://github.com/bvlahos/Scripting-Calendars <https://github.com/bvlahos/Scripting-Calendars>
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>
> -
> Matthias Rebbe
> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code
>
>> Am 01.10.2020 um 19:08 schrieb Peter Reid via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Has anyone got a calendar library for LiveCode? I'm developing an app, part of which exports a handful of events to do with ordering regular medication. I'd like to export an ICS format file containing 3 all-day events titled something like the following:
>>
>> 1. MEDS RUN-OUT TODAY
>> 2. COLLECT MEDS
>> 3. ORDER NEXT MEDS
>>
>> What I'm looking for is either a full calendar library that I can use to generate such a ICS file, or the minimalist version, ie just enough calendar support to generate this minimal ICS file - nothing more complex.
>>
>> Anyone know of anything suitable?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>> --
>> Peter Reid
>> Loughborough, UK

Re: ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I don't know of one - but the minimal version (i.e. all-day events only,
no repeating events, no multiple timezones) should be really trivial. If
no-one comes up with something in the next day or two I'll try it as my
weekend project.

Bob - if you want to interact with calendars, take a look at Bill
Vlahos's library as Matthias pointed out. If you want to read (i.e. not
write) ICS files I have a library for doing that - let me know and I'll
check if it works with recent versions of LC and send it to you.

And if you are even thinking of programming something with times/dates, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY&ab_channel=Computerphile

Alex.

On 01/10/2020 18:08, Peter Reid via use-livecode wrote:

> Has anyone got a calendar library for LiveCode? I'm developing an app, part of which exports a handful of events to do with ordering regular medication. I'd like to export an ICS format file containing 3 all-day events titled something like the following:
>
> 1. MEDS RUN-OUT TODAY
> 2. COLLECT MEDS
> 3. ORDER NEXT MEDS
>
> What I'm looking for is either a full calendar library that I can use to generate such a ICS file, or the minimalist version, ie just enough calendar support to generate this minimal ICS file - nothing more complex.
>
> Anyone know of anything suitable?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter Reid
> Loughborough, UK

Re: ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Thanks Alex. I already downloaded the git zip file. I’ll have a look.

Bob S

> On Oct 1, 2020, at 3:33 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't know of one - but the minimal version (i.e. all-day events only, no repeating events, no multiple timezones) should be really trivial. If no-one comes up with something in the next day or two I'll try it as my weekend project.
>
> Bob - if you want to interact with calendars, take a look at Bill Vlahos's library as Matthias pointed out. If you want to read (i.e. not write) ICS files I have a library for doing that - let me know and I'll check if it works with recent versions of LC and send it to you.
>
> And if you are even thinking of programming something with times/dates, see
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY&ab_channel=Computerphile
>
> Alex.
>
> On 01/10/2020 18:08, Peter Reid via use-livecode wrote:
>> Has anyone got a calendar library for LiveCode? I'm developing an app, part of which exports a handful of events to do with ordering regular medication. I'd like to export an ICS format file containing 3 all-day events titled something like the following:
>>
>> 1. MEDS RUN-OUT TODAY
>> 2. COLLECT MEDS
>> 3. ORDER NEXT MEDS
>>
>> What I'm looking for is either a full calendar library that I can use to generate such a ICS file, or the minimalist version, ie just enough calendar support to generate this minimal ICS file - nothing more complex.
>>
>> Anyone know of anything suitable?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>> --
>> Peter Reid
>> Loughborough, UK

Re: ICS Generation

On 02/10/2020 00:11, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Alex. I already downloaded the git zip file. I’ll have a look.

Oh yeah, it's on github - I'd forgotten that :-)

But I haven't used it since (I think) LC 5.5 - so if you bump into any
issues, please drop me anote.

Thanks

Alex.

Re: ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
There is https://github.com/soapdog/livecode-vobjectlib it is fairly easy
to use but it is best if you use it while reading the specs because it is a
bit low-level.

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 01:30, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/10/2020 00:11, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> > Thanks Alex. I already downloaded the git zip file. I’ll have a look.
> >
> Oh yeah, it's on github - I'd forgotten that :-)
>
> But I haven't used it since (I think) LC 5.5 - so if you bump into any
> issues, please drop me anote.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex.

https://www.andregarzia.com <http://www.andregarzia.com>
Want to support me? Buy me a coffee at https://ko-fi.com/andregarzia

Re: ICS Generation

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Thanks all for the leads/links to Bill Vlahos' and Andre Garzia's developments, both look very interesting. I think Andre's vObject library looks to fit my needs better as it doesn't rely on other scripting technology such as AppleScript. I'll report back to the list how I get on with my very modest iCal support.

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Loughborough, UK