IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Richard Gaskin
The City of Pasadena has declared a state of emergency in light of the
ongoing wind storm (see earlier post), so after discussing this with
Bill Vlahos we agree it's just not safe to encourage people to enter the
area most affected by this event.

So the meeting originally scheduled for tonight is CANCELLED, for your
safety.

Instead we look forward to seeing you at the next SoCal LUG meeting on
January 5.

  Fourth World

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Colin Holgate-2
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/high-winds-la-pasadena-epicenter.html

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Judy Perry
Whatever happened to a mid-so-Cal meeting area in OC?

Judy

Judy wrote:

 > Whatever happened to a mid-so-Cal meeting area in OC?

I became infected - with the spirit of Ubuntu. :)

It became increasingly difficult to find a venue which would work for
everyone, and the meetings pretty much came to a standstill for many
months.  But as I mentioned in my post last month, when Bill Vlahos and
I were having dinner a few weeks ago we really missed having our group
meetings and wanted to come up with a way to make it happen now, if even
in a smaller way.

In the Ubuntu community there are many types of events, but the most
common ones are what they call "Ubuntu Hour", where folks who enjoy that
system simply pick a place and a regular time to meet and have smallish
get-togethers, informal affairs with no agenda, no formal presentations,
just sharing and problem-solving and good conversation, often at a local
coffee shop, restaurant, or other public space.

There are also larger events, like the annual Ubuntu Developer Summit
(roughly equivalent in our community to the RevLive conferences RunRev
hosts, and Chipp and Dan's RevCon before that), and regional meetings
like UbuCon held in conjunction with the SoCal Linux Expo.

But these smaller, community-focused Ubuntu Hour meetings are so easy to
set up that they make a great way to enjoy the camaraderie of other fans
on a more regular basis than a larger even can do.

My post last month which originally announced the December meeting
outlined some of these thoughts:

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2011-November/164536.html>

While LiveCode doesn't have the 19 million users Ubuntu has, there are
still many ways ideas from that community can benefit ours.

So rather than the Pasadena LiveCode group displacing an OC group, it
can simply serve as a model to encourage folks in OC to set up a
separate group that's easy for everyone there to attend.   San Diego as
well, for Richard Herz and the others down there.

In fact, it seems we have enough users in Rio to encourage Andre to
consider starting one there, and perhaps Nicolas Cueto could start one
in Tokyo. Klaus, got enough LiveCode users in your area to set up one in
Hennef, or perhaps Bonn?

LiveCode's audience has grown enough in recent years that I'll be most
major cities - and a few smaller ones - have enough users to make a
LiveCode Hour work well.

Heather set up a place in the LiveCode forums to plan such meetings:
<http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=30>

I like the idea of also holding a larger regional meeting, in which we'd
have a venue capable of serving the needs of all of the SoCal fans from
Santa Barbara to San Diego, and perhaps we can set one up in 2012.

But in the meantime, for OC please consider setting up a local meetup
which would be easy for those living in OC to attend.

If I can help with that in any way I'd be happy to do so.  And schedule
permitting, if it happens near an MetroLink line I might even attend
from time to time.

  Fourth World

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Andre Garzia-3
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Richard Gaskin
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> In fact, it seems we have enough users in Rio to encourage Andre to
> consider starting one there, and perhaps Nicolas Cueto could start one in
> Tokyo. Klaus, got enough LiveCode users in your area to set up one in
> Hennef, or perhaps Bonn?

Where are they??? I would welcome some company here! I would set up a group
here if we had something like 4 or 5 guys/gals.

--
http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Pierre Sahores-2
Same there in France, as long as i know... Do i mistake Kevin ?

Le 2 déc. 2011 à 16:53, Andre Garzia a écrit :

> Where are they??? I would welcome some company here! I would set up a group
> here if we had something like 4 or 5 guys/gals.

--
Pierre Sahores
mobile : 06 03 95 77 70
www.sahores-conseil.com

Andre Garzia wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> In fact, it seems we have enough users in Rio to encourage Andre to
>> consider starting one there, and perhaps Nicolas Cueto could start one in
>> Tokyo. Klaus, got enough LiveCode users in your area to set up one in
>> Hennef, or perhaps Bonn?
>

> Where are they??? I would welcome some company here! I would set up a group
> here if we had something like 4 or 5 guys/gals.

Post a note in the forums and see what happens:

<http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=30>

  Fourth World

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

jacques CLAVEL
Pierre,

Pour info : just on the other side of the Gave there is a town called :
Billère. Do you know?

2011/12/2 Pierre Sahores <[hidden email]>

> Same there in France, as long as i know... Do i mistake Kevin ?
>
> Le 2 déc. 2011 à 16:53, Andre Garzia a écrit :
>
> > Where are they??? I would welcome some company here! I would set up a
> group
> > here if we had something like 4 or 5 guys/gals.
>
> --
> Pierre Sahores
> mobile : 06 03 95 77 70
> www.sahores-conseil.com

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Alejandro Tejada
Well, at least all of you received warning in advance.

By the way, Richard, Did you receive the 3 mails that
I send from my yahoo and gmail accounts?

I am under the impression that you do not
receive them.

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Pierre Sahores-2
Hi Jacques,

I think so. Billère, the eleven fires town (XII st century) ; the first place in continental Europe to create its Golf club (1856) ? ;-)

Pierre

Le 2 déc. 2011 à 21:22, jacques CLAVEL a écrit :

> Pierre,
>
> Pour info : just on the other side of the Gave there is a town called :
> Billère. Do you know?
>

> 2011/12/2 Pierre Sahores <[hidden email]>
>
>> Same there in France, as long as i know... Do i mistake Kevin ?
>>
>> Le 2 déc. 2011 à 16:53, Andre Garzia a écrit :
>>
>>> Where are they??? I would welcome some company here! I would set up a
>> group
>>> here if we had something like 4 or 5 guys/gals.
>>
>> --
>> Pierre Sahores
>> mobile : 06 03 95 77 70
>> www.sahores-conseil.com