IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi,

On an IOS app we have been using the

setfullscreenmode of stack "XYZ" to exactfit.

Although it isn't perfect in the sense it doesn't try to use the "notch" it
has been working well.

We have compiled with the latest livecode stable and the latest XCODE and
now the there is
a greater margin on either side and the top (especially on the iphone plus)

We did notice this happened randomly and very very rarely on the previous
version of xcode and the previous stable livecode but it
wasn't a "HARD" error and not on everybody's IPHONE 8 plus

Anybody have any ideas the best way to make the App resize well on all the
new ones?

The dimensions of the stack are 414 by 736 (the logical resolution of the
iphone 8 plus) .

To date it has scaled pretty well down and up but now on the iphone we have
more of it is not scaling up properly.

Any suggestions for making this work SIMPLY ie we don't need it to bother
too much about the notch  as long as it uses as much
real estate for the different sizes. The App looked fine on the X as well
even if it didn't go right down to the bottom.

I am not one to follow the latesdFads ghis is a business program so there
is no dark mode or other stupid ideas to make
people upgrade for no reason other than its different.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Lagi

--
KIndest Regards Lagi

Re: IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Try fullscreenMode "showAll" or "noBorder". I generally use showAll. There will be black bars
at the sides or top/bottom on some devices depending on which mode you choose but the advantage
is that it retains the stack ratio. At least one dimension will always fit.

You can obscure the black bars by setting the backcolor of the stack to a matching or
complimentary color. The unused areas will fill with that color instead of showing black.

On 11/2/20 1:30 PM, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On an IOS app we have been using the
>
> setfullscreenmode of stack "XYZ" to exactfit.
>
> Although it isn't perfect in the sense it doesn't try to use the "notch" it
> has been working well.
>
> We have compiled with the latest livecode stable and the latest XCODE and
> now the there is
> a greater margin on either side and the top (especially on the iphone plus)
>
> We did notice this happened randomly and very very rarely on the previous
> version of xcode and the previous stable livecode but it
> wasn't a "HARD" error and not on everybody's IPHONE 8 plus
>
> Anybody have any ideas the best way to make the App resize well on all the
> new ones?
>
> The dimensions of the stack are 414 by 736 (the logical resolution of the
> iphone 8 plus) .
>
> To date it has scaled pretty well down and up but now on the iphone we have
> more of it is not scaling up properly.
>
> Any suggestions for making this work SIMPLY ie we don't need it to bother
> too much about the notch  as long as it uses as much
> real estate for the different sizes. The App looked fine on the X as well
> even if it didn't go right down to the bottom.
>
> I am not one to follow the latesdFads ghis is a business program so there
> is no dark mode or other stupid ideas to make
> people upgrade for no reason other than its different.
>
> Any ideas or help appreciated.
>

> Lagi

Re: IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hello Lagi,

In the iPhone 8 Plus device, could you check in Settings -> Display and
Brightness and then scroll down and in the "Display Zoom" section, does it
say "Standard" or "Zoomed" ?

If it says Zoomed, then the stack will scale as if it was on an iPhone 8.
Changing this to Standard will cause the stack to scale as before.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 22:53, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try fullscreenMode "showAll" or "noBorder". I generally use showAll. There
> will be black bars
> at the sides or top/bottom on some devices depending on which mode you
> choose but the advantage
> is that it retains the stack ratio. At least one dimension will always fit.
>
> You can obscure the black bars by setting the backcolor of the stack to a
> matching or
> complimentary color. The unused areas will fill with that color instead of
> showing black.
>
> On 11/2/20 1:30 PM, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On an IOS app we have been using the
> >
> > setfullscreenmode of stack "XYZ" to exactfit.
> >
> > Although it isn't perfect in the sense it doesn't try to use the "notch"
> it
> > has been working well.
> >
> > We have compiled with the latest livecode stable and the latest XCODE and
> > now the there is
> > a greater margin on either side and the top (especially on the iphone
> plus)
> >
> > We did notice this happened randomly and very very rarely on the previous
> > version of xcode and the previous stable livecode but it
> > wasn't a "HARD" error and not on everybody's IPHONE 8 plus
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas the best way to make the App resize well on all
> the
> > new ones?
> >
> > The dimensions of the stack are 414 by 736 (the logical resolution of the
> > iphone 8 plus) .
> >
> > To date it has scaled pretty well down and up but now on the iphone we
> have
> > more of it is not scaling up properly.
> >
> > Any suggestions for making this work SIMPLY ie we don't need it to bother
> > too much about the notch  as long as it uses as much
> > real estate for the different sizes. The App looked fine on the X as well
> > even if it didn't go right down to the bottom.
> >
> > I am not one to follow the latesdFads ghis is a business program so there
> > is no dark mode or other stupid ideas to make
> > people upgrade for no reason other than its different.
> >
> > Any ideas or help appreciated.
> >

> > Lagi

Re: IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi,

Thanks for that hint Jacque will certainly have a look at that.

Panos - we have 4 Iphone  pluses and they are all set to standard - all
worked fine before.
But  I  checked mine and another just in case an IOS update  changed it -
nope both still standard.

Thanks though - every suggestion comes in useful sometime (is that a Dean
Martin song?)

Regards lagi

On 11/3/20 4:08 PM, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode wrote:

> Thanks though - every suggestion comes in useful sometime (is that a Dean
> Martin song?)

LOL

Re: IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I’m having a similar issue with “letterbox” on an a project. It has fit fine for years: exact fit on older devices with black bars on top/bottom of newer devices. But when I rebuild now, it shows black bars on all 4 sides of an iPhone 11. (old build currently on AppStore renders just on top/bottom)

Unfortunately because of how it was designed (for 5s device size with NO resize handler), “exactFit” will kill navigation on modern devices. The project needs a UI overhaul, and I’m using this as motivation for the client, but it seems that somewhere a change was made on how iOS device sizes are determined. I noticed a lot of chatter recently about this affecting the iPhone Plus models when zoomed. Perhaps Apple made a change in Xcode 11 if nothing has changed in LiveCode.

-Andrew Bell

Re: IOS Screen resizing /EXACT FIT not working as before

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi

I was told today that the App is unusable on smaller iphones on which it
was originally designed - ny smaller I mean 6 and 7
It is usable on the bigger screens (albeit it looks "wrong")  but a lot of
people still stick with smaller screens.

Lagi

On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 at 14:18, Andrew at MidWest Coast Media via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m having a similar issue with “letterbox” on an a project. It has fit
> fine for years: exact fit on older devices with black bars on top/bottom of
> newer devices. But when I rebuild now, it shows black bars on all 4 sides
> of an iPhone 11. (old build currently on AppStore renders just on
> top/bottom)
>
> Unfortunately because of how it was designed (for 5s device size with NO
> resize handler), “exactFit” will kill navigation on modern devices. The
> project needs a UI overhaul, and I’m using this as motivation for the
> client, but it seems that somewhere a change was made on how iOS device
> sizes are determined. I noticed a lot of chatter recently about this
> affecting the iPhone Plus models when zoomed. Perhaps Apple made a change
> in Xcode 11 if nothing has changed in LiveCode.
>
> -Andrew Bell

KIndest Regards Lagi