IOS Standalone Settings

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

I looking for the complete description for the Standalone Settings screen
and the process for producing an IPA (testing app) and Binary file for
submission to iTunesConnect. This is the first time I am setting up the
LiveCode submission process for review using LiveCode.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062
Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Dave Kilroy
Vaughan

The following lessons are pretty good (but watch out for some out-of-date bits such as LiveCode now has settings for iOS7 icon sizes)

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4069/l/33065-how-do-i-set-up-an-app-for-submission-to-itunes-connect

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4069/l/32957-how-do-i-create-a-distribution-profile-for-ios

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/3527/m/4069/l/33064-how-do-i-submit-an-ios-app-to-the-app-store

But don't try to rush things - take your time - put aside plenty of time - in my experience there is ALWAYS some part of the process that needs at least two attempts because something or other has changed or I'm not concentrating.

Good luck!

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Vaughn Clement
Hi Dave

After 5 years doing IOS apps I know your spot on about doing anything to do
with iTunes. I am new to LiveCode so the interface is so different.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Vaughan
>
> The following lessons are pretty good (but watch out for some out-of-date
> bits such as LiveCode now has settings for iOS7 icon sizes)
>

> http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4069/l/33065-how-do-i-set-up-an-app-for-submission-to-itunes-connect
>

> http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4069/l/32957-how-do-i-create-a-distribution-profile-for-ios
>

> http://lessons.runrev.com/s/3527/m/4069/l/33064-how-do-i-submit-an-ios-app-to-the-app-store
>
> But don't try to rush things - take your time - put aside plenty of time -
> in my experience there is ALWAYS some part of the process that needs at
> least two attempts because something or other has changed or I'm not
> concentrating.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Dave
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust
> upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Dave Kilroy
Oh well then if you know iTunes Connect, certificates, provisioning profiles and app ids - you'll find the LiveCode standalone stuff a doddle in comparison :)
Peter M. Brigham

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Vaughn Clement
Hi All

I reviewed all the media in the references and have the following questions
that many newbies may be asking.

   1. The IDE creates the app file as the outcome of running the standalone
   app build. Where is the IPA file created for testing on IOS created? I want
   to test the app before submission on my iPad. I need to bug test the app on
   a real iPad.
   2. The app file needs to be zipped into a file to send in for review to
   iTunes. I have sent in many apps via the IOS uploader in the past, I want
   to know if the app files that LiveCode is all that needs to be in the file?
   3. It has been about a year since I submitted my last app for review. I
   used the 1024 x 768 iPad format standard resolution. Is there any new
   requirements that I should be aware of for submission?
   4. Most of the LiveCode reverences in the links are old requirements. So
   I am on new ground on this submission.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Oh well then if you know iTunes Connect, certificates, provisioning
> profiles
> and app ids - you'll find the LiveCode standalone stuff a doddle in
> comparison :)
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust
> upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Main Google

On 22/10/2013, at 1:05 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   1. The IDE creates the app file as the outcome of running the standalone
>   app build. Where is the IPA file created for testing on IOS created? I want
>   to test the app before submission on my iPad. I need to bug test the app on
>   a real iPad.

You are prompted to specify the location when you build - and you can set a default in the standalone settings window 9at the bottom of the window).

>   2. The app file needs to be zipped into a file to send in for review to
>   iTunes. I have sent in many apps via the IOS uploader in the past, I want
>   to know if the app files that LiveCode is all that needs to be in the file?

Yes. Just zip the binary created by the standalone build process and upload that file with the Application Loader app.

>   3. It has been about a year since I submitted my last app for review. I
>   used the 1024 x 768 iPad format standard resolution. Is there any new
>   requirements that I should be aware of for submission?

Dunno. Only built for iPhone so far.

Gerry

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Dave Kilroy
Vaughn

1 - If you connect your iPad to your mac you can use Xcode to get a standalone .app file created by LiveCode onto the iPad (as long as your iPad is included in your Provisioning Profile). There are other ways to get it onto your iPad, some of them real labour-savers, but for now in your situation the simplest way is probably to use Xcode

2 - When you are ready to upload your binary to iTunes Connect (using Apple's Application Loader) you need to zip up your .app file - make sure you use the 'compress' command within Finder as Apple seems to have problems accepting binaries compressed with 3rd party compression tools

3 - screen sizes = iPad 1 & 2 (768 x 1024 or 1024 x 768) and iPad 3 & 4 (1536 x 2048 or 2048 x 1536). Application icon sizes = iPad 1 & 2 (iOS6 72 x 72 or iOS7 76 x 76) and iPad 3 & 4 (iOS6 114 x 114 or iOS7 152 x 152)

4 - there are usually up to date resources, b but they can take time to find and you do need to keep in mind when an article/lesson was published!

Ask again if you come across other issues

Kind regards

Dave

Vaughn Clement wrote
Hi All

I reviewed all the media in the references and have the following questions
that many newbies may be asking.

   1. The IDE creates the app file as the outcome of running the standalone
   app build. Where is the IPA file created for testing on IOS created? I want
   to test the app before submission on my iPad. I need to bug test the app on
   a real iPad.
   2. The app file needs to be zipped into a file to send in for review to
   iTunes. I have sent in many apps via the IOS uploader in the past, I want
   to know if the app files that LiveCode is all that needs to be in the file?
   3. It has been about a year since I submitted my last app for review. I
   used the 1024 x 768 iPad format standard resolution. Is there any new
   requirements that I should be aware of for submission?
   4. Most of the LiveCode reverences in the links are old requirements. So
   I am on new ground on this submission.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: [hidden email]
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062
Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Oh well then if you know iTunes Connect, certificates, provisioning
> profiles
> and app ids - you'll find the LiveCode standalone stuff a doddle in
> comparison :)
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust
> upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Peter M. Brigham

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Vaughn Clement
Hi Gerry

As you know the articles on the LC site are difficult to find, and not very
well composed. I am fortunate to have people on the How To email to ask
questions. Your information is very complete and fills in the answers I was
looking to find. Thank you!

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Gerry Orkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/10/2013, at 1:05 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >   1. The IDE creates the app file as the outcome of running the
> standalone
> >   app build. Where is the IPA file created for testing on IOS created? I
> want
> >   to test the app before submission on my iPad. I need to bug test the
> app on
> >   a real iPad.
>
> You are prompted to specify the location when you build - and you can set
> a default in the standalone settings window 9at the bottom of the window).
>
> >   2. The app file needs to be zipped into a file to send in for review to
> >   iTunes. I have sent in many apps via the IOS uploader in the past, I
> want
> >   to know if the app files that LiveCode is all that needs to be in the
> file?
>
> Yes. Just zip the binary created by the standalone build process and
> upload that file with the Application Loader app.
>
> >   3. It has been about a year since I submitted my last app for review. I
> >   used the 1024 x 768 iPad format standard resolution. Is there any new
> >   requirements that I should be aware of for submission?
>
> Dunno. Only built for iPhone so far.
>
> Gerry

Re: IOS Standalone Settings

Richard Gaskin
Vaughn Clement wrote:
> As you know the articles on the LC site are difficult to find....

That's a helpful observation for those of us all too accustomed to
hunting them down.

They're all accessible from one page at LiveCode.com, in the Developers
link at the top of every page:

<http://livecode.com/developers/>

But perhaps "Developers" isn't the best choice for that label - what
exactly does that mean?

Should we propose they change that to "Learning LiveCode" or something
else along those lines?

  Fourth World
  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys