IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
New app has IPad set in SA builder

Accepted by Apple went live
I have screen shots for iPad on the store

But iPad mini users report

"Not compatible with this device"

Why not? Missing splash screen?

Via mobile phone

Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
According to the Compatibility list in the App store, you are also not
compatible with the 12.9-inch Pro, any iPad Air and just simply "IPad".

No idea why - but maybe that list will help you see whether it's splash
screen sizes or resolution sizes, or what ....

-- Alex.
P.S. I had to remove the app from my iPad to get the store to show me
the Compatibility list again.

On 25/09/2017 01:16, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> New app has IPad set in SA builder
>
> Accepted by Apple went live
> I have screen shots for iPad on the store
>
> But iPad mini users report
>
> "Not compatible with this device"
>
> Why not? Missing splash screen?
>
> Via mobile phone

Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
I'm told by support the problem is I turned on Camera Flash

that is not available on these iPad cameras.

We will see if turning this off fixes it for the next round.

Svasti Astu, Be Well
Brahmanathaswami

www.himalayanacademy.com

On 9/24/17, 2:51 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Alex Tweedly via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    According to the Compatibility list in the App store, you are also not
    compatible with the 12.9-inch Pro, any iPad Air and just simply "IPad".

    No idea why - but maybe that list will help you see whether it's splash
    screen sizes or resolution sizes, or what ....

    -- Alex.
    P.S. I had to remove the app from my iPad to get the store to show me
    the Compatibility list again.

    On 25/09/2017 01:16, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
    >New app has IPad set in SA builder
    >
    >Accepted by Apple went live
    >I have screen shots for iPad on the store
    >
    >But iPad mini users report
    >
    >"Not compatible with this device"
    >
    >Why not? Missing splash screen?
    >
    >Via mobile phone

Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
The camera-flash in not supported on any of the iPad minis, or the iPad
12.9 inch.

See these tables:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix.html

So removing "camera-flash" from the requirements section of the iOS
Standalone Settings should fix the problem.

Best,
Panos
--

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm told by support the problem is I turned on Camera Flash
>

> that is not available on these iPad cameras.
>
> We will see if turning this off fixes it for the next round.
>

> Svasti Astu, Be Well
> Brahmanathaswami
>
> www.himalayanacademy.com
>

> On 9/24/17, 2:51 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Alex Tweedly via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     According to the Compatibility list in the App store, you are also not
>     compatible with the 12.9-inch Pro, any iPad Air and just simply "IPad".
>
>     No idea why - but maybe that list will help you see whether it's splash
>     screen sizes or resolution sizes, or what ....
>
>     -- Alex.
>     P.S. I had to remove the app from my iPad to get the store to show me
>     the Compatibility list again.
>
>     On 25/09/2017 01:16, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
>     >New app has IPad set in SA builder
>     >
>     >Accepted by Apple went live
>     >I have screen shots for iPad on the store
>     >
>     >But iPad mini users report
>     >
>     >"Not compatible with this device"
>     >
>     >Why not? Missing splash screen?
>     >
>     >Via mobile phone

Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
I've been having a similar problem with an app that I just never got
around to debugging. After looking at that device compatibility
matrix, I think my problem is that GPS is selected as a required
provision (trying to get latitude/longitude from user when a certain
function is executed).

Is it safe to assume removing GPS from Required but instead adding
Location Services will allow this app to install on iPads AND still
give me latitude/longitude?

--Andrew Bell

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:05:09 +0100
> From: panagiotis merakos <[hidden email]>
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported
>
> The camera-flash in not supported on any of the iPad minis, or the iPad
> 12.9 inch.
>
> See these tables:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix.html
>
> So removing "camera-flash" from the requirements section of the iOS
> Standalone Settings should fix the problem.
>
> Best,
> Panos

RE: IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
I ran into this and had to de-select the GPS and only select Location
Services to make the app available on non-GPS devices. I can still get
lat/lon cords. What I am unclear about is if the GPS chip is used on devices
that have them.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

I've been having a similar problem with an app that I just never got around
to debugging. After looking at that device compatibility matrix, I think my
problem is that GPS is selected as a required provision (trying to get
latitude/longitude from user when a certain function is executed).

Is it safe to assume removing GPS from Required but instead adding Location
Services will allow this app to install on iPads AND still give me
latitude/longitude?

--Andrew Bell

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:05:09 +0100
> From: panagiotis merakos <[hidden email]>
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported
>
> The camera-flash in not supported on any of the iPad minis, or the
> iPad
> 12.9 inch.
>
> See these tables:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInform
> ation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix/Devic
> eCompatibilityMatrix.html
>
> So removing "camera-flash" from the requirements section of the iOS
> Standalone Settings should fix the problem.
>
> Best,
> Panos

Re: IPad Mini reports "not supported

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Surprise, at least this is new news for some of us: assuming the device supports one or another, all those services are indeed actually available, whether you check those boxes or not or so I'm told via another grapevine.

ergo: you only want to check them in the SA builder if your app really, really MUST have those functions. So you are making an "up down" decision that you so not what your app installed on any device that will not support those functions.

So for example, if you think it's good that the user can use a flash when they take a photo, but not mission critical to your app's functionality… then, well, that's already included on those devices that have a flash = do nothing in the SA builder… if they put your app on an iPad that does not have advanced camera features, they just don’t a flash.

GPS and some other mobile features will be trickier.  let's say have, as we do, an app that can do all kinds of "tricks" you do want the users to be able to install on any device, but you do also need to find out what capabilities there are, so …  this means a bit more preopenstack 'forensics" on the device … so I headed off the dictionary…so, there are tools for this job:

mobileCanTrackLocation

oddly for some reason, even though GPS I in the summary, a search for "GPS" in tinyDictionary did not return this entry… on a hunch, I searchedLocation and then scanned for the mobile commands and found it.