Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Dave Kilroy
This is a request for ideas for LiveCode workshops

That is, where one of us is organising a day-long workshop on LiveCode and are looking for a main topic for the day.

I’m not looking for fully-worked up teaching resources (although that would be nice), but general ideas or topics for the workshop - so that we can say to people, and publicise “come to this LiveCode workshop where we will build …” or “at this LiveCode workshop you will learn how to …”.

In the past I’ve done LiveCode workshops where the main idea has been:
- build a mobile messaging app (that connects to a web service and mysql database)
- build desktop widgets (little things like an app that watches a folder, using the clipboard etc)
- learn how to search documents and save notes with LiveCode

I think my ideal would be to get an idea which is:
-  a ‘draw’ (afterall I want lots of people to turn up!), something like “learn now to connect to the Pokemon Go! API”
- doesn’t involve me doing too too much preparation work for the workshop
- can give a positive experience to participants with differing levels of ability (perhaps by my preparing some partly completed exercises for those who need them)

So, ideas and suggestions please!

Kind regards

Dave

PS: my next workshop is on 17th September and I haven’t decided what to go in it http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
PPS: ask potential participants what the workshop topic should be usually doesn’t help much!

Peter M. Brigham

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Devin Asay

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 2:54 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a request for ideas for LiveCode workshops
>
> That is, where one of us is organising a day-long workshop on LiveCode and are looking for a main topic for the day.
>
> I’m not looking for fully-worked up teaching resources (although that would be nice), but general ideas or topics for the workshop - so that we can say to people, and publicise “come to this LiveCode workshop where we will build …” or “at this LiveCode workshop you will learn how to …”.
>
> In the past I’ve done LiveCode workshops where the main idea has been:
> - build a mobile messaging app (that connects to a web service and mysql database)
> - build desktop widgets (little things like an app that watches a folder, using the clipboard etc)
> - learn how to search documents and save notes with LiveCode
>
> I think my ideal would be to get an idea which is:
> -  a ‘draw’ (afterall I want lots of people to turn up!), something like “learn now to connect to the Pokemon Go! API”
> - doesn’t involve me doing too too much preparation work for the workshop
> - can give a positive experience to participants with differing levels of ability (perhaps by my preparing some partly completed exercises for those who need them)
>
> So, ideas and suggestions please!

Dave,

I’ve done this a lot over the years, and you’re right, settling on a compelling app to create during the workshop is key. These are some of the ideas I’ve used:

- A drag and drop matching game.

- A to-do list app.

- A simple e-reader app.

- A walking tour app with a map with interactive sites that you can click for additional information and photos, etc.

Hope this helps.

Devin

Devin Asay
Learn to code with LiveCode University
https://livecode.com/store/education/

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

rjd318
Yikes! My eyes widened when I saw that you did a workshop previously on a messaging app utilizing a web service and MySQL since that is what I woke up this morning thinking about learning how to do 😊   Do you have the materials or stacks available for us to look at?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 3:54 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a request for ideas for LiveCode workshops
>
> That is, where one of us is organising a day-long workshop on LiveCode and are looking for a main topic for the day.
>
> I’m not looking for fully-worked up teaching resources (although that would be nice), but general ideas or topics for the workshop - so that we can say to people, and publicise “come to this LiveCode workshop where we will build …” or “at this LiveCode workshop you will learn how to …”.
>
> In the past I’ve done LiveCode workshops where the main idea has been:
> - build a mobile messaging app (that connects to a web service and mysql database)
> - build desktop widgets (little things like an app that watches a folder, using the clipboard etc)
> - learn how to search documents and save notes with LiveCode
>
> I think my ideal would be to get an idea which is:
> -  a ‘draw’ (afterall I want lots of people to turn up!), something like “learn now to connect to the Pokemon Go! API”
> - doesn’t involve me doing too too much preparation work for the workshop
> - can give a positive experience to participants with differing levels of ability (perhaps by my preparing some partly completed exercises for those who need them)
>
> So, ideas and suggestions please!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>
> PS: my next workshop is on 17th September and I haven’t decided what to go in it http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
> PPS: ask potential participants what the workshop topic should be usually doesn’t help much!

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Devin Asay
If you can remind me of when I did that I can try to find the materials. ;-)

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 5:21 AM, rjd318 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yikes! My eyes widened when I saw that you did a workshop previously on a messaging app utilizing a web service and MySQL since that is what I woke up this morning thinking about learning how to do 😊   Do you have the materials or stacks available for us to look at?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 4, 2016, at 3:54 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is a request for ideas for LiveCode workshops
>>
>> That is, where one of us is organising a day-long workshop on LiveCode and are looking for a main topic for the day.
>>
>> I’m not looking for fully-worked up teaching resources (although that would be nice), but general ideas or topics for the workshop - so that we can say to people, and publicise “come to this LiveCode workshop where we will build …” or “at this LiveCode workshop you will learn how to …”.
>>
>> In the past I’ve done LiveCode workshops where the main idea has been:
>> - build a mobile messaging app (that connects to a web service and mysql database)
>> - build desktop widgets (little things like an app that watches a folder, using the clipboard etc)
>> - learn how to search documents and save notes with LiveCode
>>
>> I think my ideal would be to get an idea which is:
>> -  a ‘draw’ (afterall I want lots of people to turn up!), something like “learn now to connect to the Pokemon Go! API”
>> - doesn’t involve me doing too too much preparation work for the workshop
>> - can give a positive experience to participants with differing levels of ability (perhaps by my preparing some partly completed exercises for those who need them)
>>
>> So, ideas and suggestions please!
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> PS: my next workshop is on 17th September and I haven’t decided what to go in it http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
>> PPS: ask potential participants what the workshop topic should be usually doesn’t help much!

Devin Asay
Learn to code with LiveCode University
https://livecode.com/store/education/

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Robert Mann
How about something really down to earth?

>> a simple database, like filemaker, that help dealing with day to day web research :

• grab web pages picture and the link,
• allow to write notes & emails
• and basic search & ordering functions.

or is filemaker simpler to set and use than livecode?? ah ah!!

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

dunbarxx
Hi.

It sounds like the workshops are intermediate-level and above, for those with considerable experience with LC already.  True?

Craig Newman

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Rick Harrison
Hi Dave,

A simple one might be on how to use the new dictionary interface
to find anything one might be looking for.  ;-)

Hope that helps!

Rick

Robert Mann wrote:
 > or is filemaker simpler to set and use than livecode?? ah ah!!

I would certainly hope so.

FileMaker is a wonderful tool, but is designed to deliver one category
of application, a database.

LiveCode is a far more flexible tool designed to deliver thousands of
categories of applications.

If FileMaker were as flexible as LC, it would have to be as complex.

But thankfully for their happy users they've focused on just one task,
and they do it well.

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

How about a client-server user registration system?

Everyone needs one, and in addition to being widely useful it would
demonstrate making HTTPS calls from LC clients, server-side DB use, and
other things that play an ever more pervasive role in our increasingly
cloud-driven world.

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Wprothero
An app that interacts with the cloud and/or web services would be of great interest to me.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 8:04 AM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How about a client-server user registration system?
>
> Everyone needs one, and in addition to being widely useful it would demonstrate making HTTPS calls from LC clients, server-side DB use, and other things that play an ever more pervasive role in our increasingly cloud-driven world.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems
Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Matt Maier
hostm.com has a tutorial with a desktop stack and server scripts that
allows you to add users to a database on the server from the desktop using
HTTPS.

It would be neat to have a generic "track stuff" app in Livecode that's got
all the if-then's and libraries and whatnot to be compiled and work on
every platform. That way people could just expand on the "stuff to track"
part because the rest of it already works. Sort of a bare bones personal
cloud type thing with clients for every platform. Getting the platforms to
talk to each other is esoteric.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How about a client-server user registration system?
>
> Everyone needs one, and in addition to being widely useful it would
> demonstrate making HTTPS calls from LC clients, server-side DB use, and
> other things that play an ever more pervasive role in our increasingly
> cloud-driven world.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
1) consider a way to do these on line… possibly shorter (I'm in Hawaii so…..attendance is limited)

2) go thru all past conferences and look at the different track subject matter: These were well thought out and could serve as a theme for a number of work shops.

3) try to solicit other to be presenters with the understanding that even a "newbie" could be a presenter. i.e. the presenter's job is also just to "kick off" the workshop… so the newbie presenter picks the subject and say "OK here's what I'm trying to do in Livecode today, and given my very little experience here are the methods I'm using… what do you think."

4) Focus on UI/UX  so that you can position Livecode as a tool that can meet modern design requirements/expectations i.e. everything that the users actually sees and interacts with must look 2016 and not 1995. HOW TO:
   -- handling type
   -- images on screen
   -- gradients, backgrounds
   -- simple animation (parallax, kenburn movement in the background)
   -- color
   -- buttons, icons

On 8/3/16, 10:54 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Dave Kilroy" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    So, ideas and suggestions please!

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Dave Kilroy
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions!

I’m summarising them as follows:
A drag and drop matching game.
A to-do list app.
A simple e-reader app.
A walking tour app with a map that you can click for additional information and photos.
An app that helps with web research (grab text and images, write notes & emails, filter and ordering).
A client-server user registration system.
A bare bones personal cloud type thing with clients for every platform.
Go through all past conferences and look at the different track subject matter.
Try to solicit other to be presenters.
Focus on UI/UX - everything must look 2016 rather than 1995

I’ve also remembered a suggestion I once got from a teacher for a workshop topic "A humorous photo editor (draw moustaches etc on photos of your friends)"

MESSAGING APP

@rjd318 this is a link to a thread on the forum from a year ago covering the workshop where we did the messaging app (including an introductory video and download link to get the stack and .lc script) http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24465 <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24465>. Since then I ran another version of this workshop in a different environment and I added some more polish to the app - let me know if what I did was of interest and I’ll dig out the newer version for you.

Got any more ideas? Keep ‘em coming!

Kind regards

Dave

> On 4 Aug 2016, at 09:54, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a request for ideas for LiveCode workshops
>
> That is, where one of us is organising a day-long workshop on LiveCode and are looking for a main topic for the day.
>
> I’m not looking for fully-worked up teaching resources (although that would be nice), but general ideas or topics for the workshop - so that we can say to people, and publicise “come to this LiveCode workshop where we will build …” or “at this LiveCode workshop you will learn how to …”.
>
> In the past I’ve done LiveCode workshops where the main idea has been:
> - build a mobile messaging app (that connects to a web service and mysql database)
> - build desktop widgets (little things like an app that watches a folder, using the clipboard etc)
> - learn how to search documents and save notes with LiveCode
>
> I think my ideal would be to get an idea which is:
> -  a ‘draw’ (afterall I want lots of people to turn up!), something like “learn now to connect to the Pokemon Go! API”
> - doesn’t involve me doing too too much preparation work for the workshop
> - can give a positive experience to participants with differing levels of ability (perhaps by my preparing some partly completed exercises for those who need them)
>
> So, ideas and suggestions please!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>
> PS: my next workshop is on 17th September and I haven’t decided what to go in it http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
> PPS: ask potential participants what the workshop topic should be usually doesn’t help much!

Peter M. Brigham

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Kay C Lan
Dave,

the first question is what is your aim? Is it to show people how to
program in LC or is it to hilight how LC can help them?

If it is the former, then most of the suggestions given will fit the
bill perfectly; they are just examples of something already done, but
you show them how to do it in LC.

If it is the later, then you need to know your audience and ask them
the question, what is it that you want your computer to do that it
doesn't do for you now. What frustrates you about your computer, or
some program that you know should be smart enough to do it itself but
it just doesn't do it. People say the LC, just like HC before it, is a
strange beast to describe, and whilst that may be true for what LC
'is', it's not the case for what LC does or can do. I'm sure everyone
here, if someone asked "can you do X, Y and/or Z with LC", would be
able to respond with how to build a solution with LC.

If I attended a workshop that showed me how to build a database, to do
list, or e-reader, I wouldn't be engaged because I'd be spending the
whole time wondering why I just didn't use the one already on my
computer - (assuming I'm not there specifically to learn how to do
this in LC language). On the other hand, if the instructions relates
to a real life problem, even if it's not my problem, and I can't find
the answer on the App Store, then I'm engaged and interested in how
the problem is solved.

When you ask people what they'd really like their computer to do,
everyone can think of something and it will usually fall within 3
categories:
1) An app or utility that doesn't exist
2) The automation of a manual process, and closely related
3) The communication between disparate systems

If you are dealing with the younger generation then it will likely
centre around games or social media. Back when my boys were young and
I was still using HC, Warhammers were the big thing. Like Dungeon's
and Dragons, the rules are vast and complex. and every army had it's
own book of rules. Those books were expensive, constantly in use,
being abused and occasionally lost. I was surprised there was no
electronic rule book, so I helped my boys build one, which not only
sped up game play but removed 'accidental' misreading of lines about
whose man was stronger.

For adults it may be hobby or past time related;  I enjoy cycling. My
Garmin GPS bicycle computer records a massive amount of data,
including speed, cadence and elevation. What it doesn't tell me is
what gear I'm in *. But given the gear ratios, and working with speed
and cadence it's possible to figure it out. So I built a utility that
would extract the data, compare it to the gear ratios, and therefore
extrapolate which gear I was in; thereby help performance analysis.

* with the new electronic bike shifters, and latest generation Bike
Computers, this information is now recorded - I was ahead of the times
in recognising the need to know 'which gear' in determining optimum
performance;-)

At work the problem is likely to be 'automated' related. I'm
constantly fed pdf reports which are great for reading but useless for
extracting information and comparing with previous reports. I have a
script which contacts our work server, gets the latest batch of
reports, which I feed to an AppleScript to turn them into text, which
I then parse into data fields that are fed into a DB. My stack
automatically looks for data points which are outliers as well as
points that I personally set as triggers.

As for communicating with disparate systems I recall someone on the
List recently wanting to extract electoral result information off the
net. Each year I'm involved a team of about 60 people who take 4 karts
to a 24hr Human Powered Vehicle competition. The karts are fitted with
transponders and the events timing is done by TSL Timing Solutions
Limited, which mainly does motor vehicle racing. TSL transmits the
data to the web. For years we'd been doing manually timing, so we
could analyse every pedalers performance. Understandably a manual stop
watch is not as accurate as an electronic transponder and mistakes
were common. This is a job for LC; a webpage scraper, parse out each
of our Team karts data, and all our timers have to do is manually
enter the pedalers name at each pit stop. Easy.

I'm sure everyone here can think of dozens of example of little dirty
apps they've built because you 'just can' with LC.

If you are trying to promote LC, not just programming, then I'd
recommend, if it's at all possible beforehand, to glean from your
audience a particular problem to solve, and then show them how LC is
the perfect choice in solving the 'individual's problem'.

What is LC... it's the answer, you just need to determine the problem.

My 2 shekels worth

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Graham Samuel-4
Dave, for me and I would guess a lot of others who aren’t so bad at coding in LC, **deployment** on the chosen platforms is the BIG show-stopper; so I’d like to see a workshop that creates a trivial app (say a variation on the clock/stopwatch theme - but it could be anything), discusses the differences (if any) needed in the code for different platforms, and which is then actually installed on all the available platforms, indicating all the pitfalls of deploying on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux - what installer software to use, getting stuff approved/certificated etc. and including a jargon-buster for the deployment end of things ("what’s device provisioning?" for example).

Just my two eurocents, or Brexit pence. (Will the Scots keep GBP if they break away?)

Graham

> [...]
>> -  a ‘draw’ (afterall I want lots of people to turn up!), something like “learn now to connect to the Pokemon Go! API”
>> - doesn’t involve me doing too too much preparation work for the workshop
>> - can give a positive experience to participants with differing levels of ability (perhaps by my preparing some partly completed exercises for those who need them)
>>
>> So, ideas and suggestions please!
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> PS: my next workshop is on 17th September and I haven’t decided what to go in it http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
>> PPS: ask potential participants what the workshop topic should be usually doesn’t help much!

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Ditto what Graham said:

We semi-proficient coders hit the wall when we create a scrolling group on desktop and then transfer to our iPhone and it doesn't scroll or set a simple player to a URL for an mp3 on web server and discover that you need a to create a mobile player. What if you have content (a little puzzle game) that really should only be viewed/locked down in landscape?  and this is on card 3 of a stack that is otherwise portrait? on desktop it’s a 4-line-of-code simple resize trick. "Wow Livecode is so cool" newbie feels proud they figured that out. Not so on mobile. For the level of workshop you are targeting perhaps (my guess) this would probably be an "advanced track" .. these are the things that someone Javascript person watching over your shoulder says "really, why don't you do this all in HTML 5?"  because it like its  soooo hard (in livecode) and the html5 world has thousands of answers…" [I'm not buying it yet. I've seen some of these html5 apps with their snake pit of libraries and dependencies and 5 times the lines of code in the end and the endless javascript debugging of what doesn't-quite-work-right yet… until the code becomes so opaque that even the developer himself can hardly read it 6 months later. Give me LC any day… but some things are stil too hard in LC.]

And, yes: iOS provisioning, Android developer ID et al: a dark grey mountain of mystery that needs sunlight for the newbie. after a year.. I *think* have iOS pretty much figured… but still putting off building for android locally. Challenge is, non-professionals are no doing this day-in-day-out so we really depend on thorough documentation and examples, that is missing in manby cases or out of date (Livecode lessons are pretty good for some things, but not all)

So your work shop can include supplementary material on "where to find what you need to know; disclaimer, everything you need to know may or many not be there."

BR

Graham Samuel" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    so I’d like to see a workshop that creates a trivial app (say a variation on the clock/stopwatch theme - but it could be anything), discusses the differences (if any) needed in the code for different platforms, and which is then actually installed on all the available platforms, indicating all the pitfalls of deploying on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux - what installer software to use, getting stuff approved/certificated etc. and including a jargon-buster for the deployment end of things ("what’s device provisioning?" for example).

Re: Ideas for LiveCode workshops - help needed

Dave Kilroy
Thank you all for your ideas, questions and suggestions

First of all, as regards who will be coming to the workshop - basically I’ll take anyone with a pulse (might even take the undead…).

Therefore I have to cater for a wide range of capabilities. Maybe in the future when I have more of an established audience/group here I can do stuff more tailored to what they need but as of now I need to cater for as wide an audience as possible (hence my email to the usegroup)

That said, from other workshops I’ve done here I think I’ll have two main types - those who are completely new to coding and those who are proficient in other languages and want to give LiveCode a whirl…

It sounds like between us all LiveCoders we have a long list of training we would like to receive ourselves, if I have time I’ll set up a Facebook survey thingy to see what the most popular workshop topics might be - and from there we could see what ways we would have to addressing that need.

So as to my workshop on September 17th, I think I’m gravitating towards the fun ‘scribbling-on-photos-of-your-friends’ app idea - I know how to do a basic version of scribbling on mobile and if others were to donate more advanced graphic-effect snippets (I’m looking at you John) that would be lovely to keep my more advanced participants happy

Kind regards

Dave

PS: Come to Plymouth on September 17th for a fun day with LiveCode! http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
PPS: the £10 charge goes to the venue and not to me...

> [...]
>>> Try to solicit other to be presenters.
>>> Focus on UI/UX - everything must look 2016 rather than 1995
>>>
>>> I’ve also remembered a suggestion I once got from a teacher for a workshop topic "A humorous photo editor (draw moustaches etc on photos of your friends)"
>>>

>>> MESSAGING APP
>>>
>>> @rjd318 this is a link to a thread on the forum from a year ago covering the workshop where we did the messaging app (including an introductory video and download link to get the stack and .lc script) http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24465 <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24465>. Since then I ran another version of this workshop in a different environment and I added some more polish to the app - let me know if what I did was of interest and I’ll dig out the newer version for you.

Peter M. Brigham

[on-rev] Diesel Is Down

Ralph DiMola
Anyone else having diesel problems? I notified David with emergency support request. I hope it's not just me.... I'll look like a bone-head.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: [on-rev] Diesel Is Down

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Just checked a domain of my customer. Diesel is up and running.

Is your site is still not available. If so, do you have a dedicated ip  or is your site using Diesesl´s ip?

The site of my customer is Not using a dedicated ip.

Regards,
Matthias

> Am 16.08.2016 um 20:33 schrieb Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]>:
>
> Anyone else having diesel problems? I notified David with emergency support request. I hope it's not just me.... I'll look like a bone-head.
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

Re: [on-rev] Diesel Is Down

Phil Davis-5
You're not alone, Ralph!

When I try to login via ssh, I get this:
     Could not resolve hostname <my host name>: nodename nor servname
provided, or not known

When I try to load a page in Chrome, it says the "server DNS address
could not be found".

So this time you're not a bonehead. :-)  Or else we both are.

Phil Davis