Quantcast

Identical and similar blend modes

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
After a quick test, these are my results
looking for identical and similar blend modes
but notice that these results could differ
from your own results:

1) srcXor = BlendExclusion = BlendDifference

2) srcOr = addMax = addPin = BlendDodge = BlendLighten = blendScreen =
BlendPlus

3) srcCopy = Transparent = BlendHardLight

4) srcAnd = adMin = BlendBurn = BlendDarken = BlendMultiply

5) addOver = noop = BlendDstOver

subPin almost looks like reverse

There are many aritmetic and bitwise blending modes
that do not have a direct equivalent using Imaging
blend modes... but probably (or not) these blending
modes could be "simulated" using color overlays,
groups, structural blends and imaging blend modes

Al

Re: Identical and similar blend modes

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Results may vary depending on OS, video card, and/or video drivers.  Many
of these appear subtly different to me.

~Roger

On 2017-05-16 12:32, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
> Results may vary depending on OS, video card, and/or video drivers.
> Many
> of these appear subtly different to me.

They shouldn't - all the blend mode code is cross-platform - so if there
is a difference across platform (which isn't down to just differences in
the Monitor's Color Profile) it would be a bug!

In this case, it is probably just that what you see will depend on what
the colors/alpha of the destination and source pixels are. Indeed, for
some
of the 'structural' blend modes, they don't do very much unless they
are used within a group which has ink 'blendSrcOver', as they modify
the destination alpha channel (which cards don't really have).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps