Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hello,

I just installed LC Indy 9.5.0. on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

I can't start LC Indy. My Mac tells me:

"LiveCode Indy 9.5.0 can't be opened, because Apple can't search for malware
in this app." This software has to be updated.

Probably this was already a question on this list, but I couldn't find the
answer, what I have to do.

Thank you

Tiemo

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
The new recension of MacOS does seem to resemble
that island off the coast of California in more ways that just its name:
also a bit rocky and hard-going to cultivate anything on its
barren slopes.

I have certainly had no problems of this sort on
MacOS 10.14.6; and I honestly think I'll stay with that
version until I am pushed so hard against the wall
I have no choice but to upgrade.

Richmond.

On 5.11.19 12:01, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just installed LC Indy 9.5.0. on MacOS 10.15 Catalina
>

> I can't start LC Indy. My Mac tells me:
>
> "LiveCode Indy 9.5.0 can't be opened, because Apple can't search for malware
> in this app." This software has to be updated.
>

> Probably this was already a question on this list, but I couldn't find the
> answer, what I have to do.
>

> Thank you
>

> Tiemo

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hello Tiemo,

This is shown because you are on Catalina and the app is not notarised. You
should be able to add this app to the "exceptions" list by going to the
System Settings -> Security and Privacy, and then click "Open Anyway"

I am still on Mojave, so have not tested this, but it should work, see more
details in:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Kind regards,
Panos
--

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 12:03, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just installed LC Indy 9.5.0. on MacOS 10.15 Catalina
>

> I can't start LC Indy. My Mac tells me:
>
> "LiveCode Indy 9.5.0 can't be opened, because Apple can't search for
> malware
> in this app." This software has to be updated.
>

> Probably this was already a question on this list, but I couldn't find the
> answer, what I have to do.
>

> Thank you
>

> Tiemo

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
LC is not the only app bringing up this alert.
The standard way to open non-notarized apps is to right-click (cntl-click) on the app and select “Open” in the resulting menu.
You will then be presented with a dialog asking if you really want to open the app.
Once you do this LC will open.
This is a once only procedure.

James

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
One annoyance from Catalina and Notarization for me as a developer:

LiveCode 9.x.x supports macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) through 10.15 (Catalina).
For our app built on LC9.x.x, we support those versions of macOS as
well. However, a Notarized DMG (one way of addressing Apple's
Notarization requirement) will only open on Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave,
or Catalina (10.12-10.15). For 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 a Notarized DMG
presents an error and will not open.

So now we have to guide out macOS customers to self-select one of two
downloadable DMGs - one for earlier versions of macOS and a different
one for later versions. In our case, we just do a regular signed app and
signed DMG for 10.9 through 10.14 (Mojave) and a notarized DMG (with a
signed app) for 10.15 Catalina

An, yes, no matter how "clear" we think our guidance is, we have people
download the wrong DMG.

On 11/5/2019 5:01 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just installed LC Indy 9.5.0. on MacOS 10.15 Catalina
>

> I can't start LC Indy. My Mac tells me:
>
> "LiveCode Indy 9.5.0 can't be opened, because Apple can't search for malware
> in this app." This software has to be updated.
>

> Probably this was already a question on this list, but I couldn't find the
> answer, what I have to do.
>

> Thank you
>

> Tiemo

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
This is not limited to LC. When downloading drivers for MacOS from the Toshiba site, guess what you see? One link for drivers prior to a certain version of the OS, and another for later versions. It may be an annoyance, but it's one everyone is experiencing for any installer. RunRev won't be able to fix this so that we have one unified installer.

Bob S

> On Nov 5, 2019, at 05:15 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One annoyance from Catalina and Notarization for me as a developer:
>
> LiveCode 9.x.x supports macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) through 10.15 (Catalina). For our app built on LC9.x.x, we support those versions of macOS as well. However, a Notarized DMG (one way of addressing Apple's Notarization requirement) will only open on Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina (10.12-10.15). For 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 a Notarized DMG presents an error and will not open.
>
> So now we have to guide out macOS customers to self-select one of two downloadable DMGs - one for earlier versions of macOS and a different one for later versions. In our case, we just do a regular signed app and signed DMG for 10.9 through 10.14 (Mojave) and a notarized DMG (with a signed app) for 10.15 Catalina
>
> An, yes, no matter how "clear" we think our guidance is, we have people download the wrong DMG.

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
On 11/5/2019 10:41 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
First, your assumption that "it's one everyone is experiencing for any
installer" is exactly that, an assumption based on your experiences.

The vast majority of our customers are computer novices and anything but
the simplest of steps can cause them problems. Most do not know what
version of macOS they run, nor how to tell what version they are running.

Second, I was not calling for RunRev to "fix" this. It is clearly
Apple's inane drive for marketing a level or privacy and security that
is mostly a gigantic lie that is the cause.

And thirdly, drivers are a bit different than research apps.

> This is not limited to LC. When downloading drivers for MacOS from the Toshiba site, guess what you see? One link for drivers prior to a certain version of the OS, and another for later versions. It may be an annoyance, but it's one everyone is experiencing for any installer. RunRev won't be able to fix this so that we have one unified installer.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Nov 5, 2019, at 05:15 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One annoyance from Catalina and Notarization for me as a developer:
>>
>> LiveCode 9.x.x supports macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) through 10.15 (Catalina). For our app built on LC9.x.x, we support those versions of macOS as well. However, a Notarized DMG (one way of addressing Apple's Notarization requirement) will only open on Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina (10.12-10.15). For 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 a Notarized DMG presents an error and will not open.
>>
>> So now we have to guide out macOS customers to self-select one of two downloadable DMGs - one for earlier versions of macOS and a different one for later versions. In our case, we just do a regular signed app and signed DMG for 10.9 through 10.14 (Mojave) and a notarized DMG (with a signed app) for 10.15 Catalina
>>
>> An, yes, no matter how "clear" we think our guidance is, we have people download the wrong DMG.

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
But the installers for drivers and the installer you want to use are not different. And what else does anyone have to go on but their experiences, and other people's experiences? I need to tap into that resource! ;-)

Bob S

> On Nov 5, 2019, at 08:18 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11/5/2019 10:41 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> First, your assumption that "it's one everyone is experiencing for any installer" is exactly that, an assumption based on your experiences.
>
> The vast majority of our customers are computer novices and anything but the simplest of steps can cause them problems. Most do not know what version of macOS they run, nor how to tell what version they are running.
>
> Second, I was not calling for RunRev to "fix" this. It is clearly Apple's inane drive for marketing a level or privacy and security that is mostly a gigantic lie that is the cause.
>
> And thirdly, drivers are a bit different than research apps.

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I'm not saying YOUR experience is invalid. I guess I am just saying we
have really really really computer naive customers and Apple has gone
and complicated things and it creates a support burden for us that we
would not have had to expend resources addressing if Apple had not done
this.

Apple has, and there is no going back, so it is what it is, but it is
really really annoying! :-(

On 11/5/2019 11:23 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> But the installers for drivers and the installer you want to use are not different. And what else does anyone have to go on but their experiences, and other people's experiences? I need to tap into that resource! ;-)
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Nov 5, 2019, at 08:18 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/5/2019 10:41 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>> First, your assumption that "it's one everyone is experiencing for any installer" is exactly that, an assumption based on your experiences.
>>
>> The vast majority of our customers are computer novices and anything but the simplest of steps can cause them problems. Most do not know what version of macOS they run, nor how to tell what version they are running.
>>
>> Second, I was not calling for RunRev to "fix" this. It is clearly Apple's inane drive for marketing a level or privacy and security that is mostly a gigantic lie that is the cause.
>>
>> And thirdly, drivers are a bit different than research apps.

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
On this issue, isn't it possible to let a web server detect the OS
requesting the download? So the server can then do the picking and send
the right version to the requestor?

Or maybe the info available to the server about the requesting OS isn't
that detailed. Not sure. At least I'm sure I can use a single download
link for an app's Mac and Windows installers.

Phil Davis

On 11/5/19 8:33 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:

> I'm not saying YOUR experience is invalid. I guess I am just saying we
> have really really really computer naive customers and Apple has gone
> and complicated things and it creates a support burden for us that we
> would not have had to expend resources addressing if Apple had not
> done this.
>
> Apple has, and there is no going back, so it is what it is, but it is
> really really annoying! :-(
>

> On 11/5/2019 11:23 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>> But the installers for drivers and the installer you want to use are
>> not different. And what else does anyone have to go on but their
>> experiences, and other people's experiences? I need to tap into that
>> resource! ;-)
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Nov 5, 2019, at 08:18 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/5/2019 10:41 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>>> First, your assumption that "it's one everyone is experiencing for
>>> any installer" is exactly that, an assumption based on your
>>> experiences.
>>>
>>> The vast majority of our customers are computer novices and anything
>>> but the simplest of steps can cause them problems. Most do not know
>>> what version of macOS they run, nor how to tell what version they
>>> are running.
>>>
>>> Second, I was not calling for RunRev to "fix" this. It is clearly
>>> Apple's inane drive for marketing a level or privacy and security
>>> that is mostly a gigantic lie that is the cause.
>>>
>>> And thirdly, drivers are a bit different than research apps.

Phil Davis
503-307-4363

Re: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I am sure it is possible. I just don't have the
PHP/HTML/Javascript/whatever skills to do that.

On 11/5/19 12:26 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> I am sure it is possible. I just don't have the
> PHP/HTML/Javascript/whatever skills to do that.

Me neither. I do it either directly in a .lc server page, or else the
.lc page starts using a stackfile that does it.

(fiddling around with different machines...)

It appears the $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] server global might provide an
adequate distinction between OSes on requesting machines. I just ran a
'globals.lc' server page from 3 different Macs with different OS
versions and got this info returned:

    $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
    10_13_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.87
    Safari/537.36

    $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
    10_15_1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.70
    Safari/537.36

    $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
    10_14_5) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.1.1
    Safari/605.1.15

My server's globals.lc page looks like this on the inside:

    <?lc
         set the errorMode to "inline"
         put the keys of $_SERVER into tList
         repeat for each line tKey in tList
             put "$_SERVER[" & tKey & "] = " & $_SERVER[tKey] & "<BR>"
    after tOutput
         end repeat

         put tOutput
    ?>

Phil Davis

> On 11/5/2019 12:02 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode wrote:
>> On this issue, isn't it possible to let a web server detect the OS
>> requesting the download? So the server can then do the picking and
>> send the right version to the requestor?
>>
>> Or maybe the info available to the server about the requesting OS
>> isn't that detailed. Not sure. At least I'm sure I can use a single
>> download link for an app's Mac and Windows installers.
>>
>> Phil Davis
>>

>> On 11/5/19 8:33 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
>>> I'm not saying YOUR experience is invalid. I guess I am just saying
>>> we have really really really computer naive customers and Apple has
>>> gone and complicated things and it creates a support burden for us
>>> that we would not have had to expend resources addressing if Apple
>>> had not done this.
>>>
>>> Apple has, and there is no going back, so it is what it is, but it
>>> is really really annoying! :-(

Phil Davis
503-307-4363

AW: Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
The weird thing was, that this message was different as others related to
not signed apps, telling it couldn't search for malware in the LC app...
That puzzled me.

In the security settings I had the setting "appStore & trusted developers"
(or so), but that was not enough. I had to add LC Indy to the white list
"open anyway". The clue was, that I had to open first the security system
settings – then start LC – and only then Apple asks me in the open system
settings window, if I want to add this app to the “open anyway” list.
Otherwise it won’t show you any window or choice to answer this option.

Tiemo