Indy Licensing

Bob Sneidar-2
Does the IDE functionality stop working once the indy license expires? In other words, do I have to pay each year to continue developing apps?

Re: Indy Licensing

Peter TB Brett
On 13/04/2016 17:21, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> Does the IDE functionality stop working once the indy license expires? In other words, do I have to pay each year to continue developing apps?

Hi Bob,

Licensing questions are off-topic for this mailing list -- but our
support team at [hidden email] would be delighted to answer your
question.

                                           Peter :-)

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Open Source Team

LiveCode 2016 Conference: https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/

RE: Indy Licensing

John Dixon

Why are Licensing questions off-topic for this mailing list ?

With the changes that have been made to licensing and the massive hike in price that is being seen over the next few months to the end of the year, I am surprised that this list has not been flooded with questions and complaints...

hmm... the question put by Bob Sneidar is, to my mind, a perfectly reasonable question to ask ... and asking on the list allows others read the questions and comments on the current state of the hike in 'livecode' pricing, more than doubling the cost to just 'use', not 'own' the software for a twelve month period...

> On 13/04/2016 17:21, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> > Does the IDE functionality stop working once the indy license expires? In other words, do I have to pay each year to continue developing apps?
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> Licensing questions are off-topic for this mailing list -- but our
> support team at [hidden email] would be delighted to answer your
> question.
>
>                                            Peter :-)
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Open Source Team
>
> LiveCode 2016 Conference: https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/

Re: Indy Licensing

Warren Samples
On 04/13/2016 12:26 PM, John Dixon wrote:
> I am surprised that this list has not been flooded with questions and complaints...

Have you been away?

JB

Re: Indy Licensing

JB
You can use the FREE VERSION.

But I have read you are not allowed
to develop for the Indy with it.

I guess you can discuss the licensing
of the free version and hw it relates.

JB

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Warren Samples <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 04/13/2016 12:26 PM, John Dixon wrote:
>> I am surprised that this list has not been flooded with questions and complaints...
>

> Have you been away?

Re: Indy Licensing

Robert Mann

maybe that  this

Licensing questions are off-topic for this mailing list -- but our
support team at [hidden email] would be delighted to answer your
question.

should be read as :

Personnal licensing questions are off-topic for this mailing list -- but our
support team at [hidden email] would be delighted to answer your
question.

This would be better understandable...
otherwise, one should enquire on the policy here, who does it?
do users have some right to decide what is on or off list here?
i wonder!

Re: Indy Licensing

Heather Laine-2
Dear List Folks,

Robert is quite right. The policy is that personal licensing questions are off topic and should be addressed to support, but general questions about how the licensing works are fine - provided they remain polite and do not go on ad-infinitum. Once the topic becomes an annoyance to other list users, it should stop.

To answer the specific question, your closed source (Indy or Business) license gives you the right to build closed source apps while it remains current. If/when it lapses, your access to LiveCode reverts to the Open Source Community Edition. Any apps you have built during the term of your license will continue to work. You will not be able to publish closed source edits to them unless/until you renew your subscription.

Further clarifications on licensing are to be found in our FAQ:

https://livecode.com/resources/support/ask-a-question/ <https://livecode.com/resources/support/ask-a-question/>

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Heather