Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Heather Laine-2
Dear List Folks,

Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important information I'm sure will interest you!

https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Warm Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
LiveCode Ltd
www.livecode.com

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
I have bought, paid, contributed to every single forward offer that RunRev and LiveCode have offered through the years, I had a great deal of faith in our LC team at HQ.

But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for 15 years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine.. .(available for free in dozens of open source apps) is only going to be offered to Business, my enthusiasm for any further participation in any such things as "infinite livecode"  was pretty much extinguished.

 It's not that I don't understand a Business level pricing…the entire enterprise collaboration and support makes a great deal of sense for a higher pricing tier.

But when you say  "For all you cooks out there.. you can only use a serving spoon (SFTP) if you choose Business, otherwise you have to carve your own serving spoon (run around installing keys on machines and scripting scp and rsync code into apps.) "   I have to just blink twice and scratch my head

"What is going o? How many more basic utilities that we think we have supported development for, are going to be out of our price range in the future?"

BR

On 5/12/16, 7:50 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Heather Laine" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important information I'm sure will interest you!
>
>https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>
> Am 12.05.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]>:

> But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for 15 years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine.. .(available for free in dozens of open source apps) is only going to be offered to Business, my enthusiasm for any further participation in any such things as "infinite livecode"  was pretty much extinguished.

Hm, did i miss that? Where did you see or read that?

Matthias

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for
 > 15 years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine..

Writing the word "simple" doesn't make it so. :)

Yes, many programs offer it.  But none of them also provide a
generalized scripting language with integrated GUI controls suitable for
crafting a vast range of apps across seven platforms.

If LC was only an SFTP client it might be simple.  But we also ask them
to do a lot more, a thousand things no one asks of any SFTP client.

Moreover, because there are so very many capable SFTP clients, why does
the world need one more?

Once upon a time a lot of people thought they wanted SFTP in LiveCode.
Some still do.  But most of them would rather have the other things the
team is also building, and along the way it seems many have lost sight
of why they thought they wanted it in the first place.

There are three common scenarios for uploading files to servers:

a) Non-admins submitting content to the site.
    This is commonly handled via HTTP APIs, which is both more
    efficient and far more secure.  Why give unbridled access
    to the entire site just to upload a file?  HTTP is the tool
    for that job.

b) Admins doing general administrative tasks.
    Most tasks are done faster in shell, but once in a while a
    general-purpose SFTP client can be useful.  And when it is,
    there are dozens of free ones for every platform to choose
    from.

c) Admins seeking to automate file uploads.
    Anyone doing work on a server often enough to need automation
    has also shared their SSH keys with the server, so using
    rsync, scp, or other such tools are the natural choice, offering
    far more efficiency than FTP/SFTP.  After all, if you're automating
    isn't efficiency the goal?  All such automation can be managed
    through LiveCode today. (In fact, mixing Expect with bash and
    LiveCode you can even write Ansible-like tools in LiveCode for
    very broad-scope automation, but that's a different topic.)

There are no doubt edge cases beyond these, but these three cover about
90% of upload use cases, and all the use cases you've described thus far
for your organization.

If you have a need that falls outside of these common solutions, let's
look at it.  Perhaps there's a way to resolve even highly-specialized
needs at minimal cost.

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Robert Mann
This post was updated on .
Same thought from France! and approximatively same wait period of more than 10 years for audio recording at 44100 kHz compressed audio.

Now I suspect one point of view would be be :: "well that is precisely what we want to clear.. by allowing faster wrapping of existing utilities.. we need the infinitum to complete the audio functions!!!!!! "

Now, i was not aware that the 2013 kickstart only brought 30% of the cost needed to get livecode 8 through. I thought it would be more 50%.

And I earlier said I would be happy to participate regularly to the development.. but.. but.. for a more reasonable priced indy "hobbits" version, and I wrote ok if that cost 150 bucks every now and then.

it is arguable that I could then decide to pour through 75$ more into the community version instead. (and so on...) But then frankly, I feel the need for some kind of community guidance body to accompany mothership.

As the situation stands, livecode drives the whole lot. So community money contributors just support "blindly" livecode without any form of representation. I wonder how long that can go on just like that.

That is by no means a message of distrust vis a vis CEO, I have great respect for what they're up to. I just wonder how viable that form of "trust" organization is viable. And frankly i'd be curious to learn about how other communities get organized in such a situation.

As Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami points out, there will always be some tensions between the two versions. And the resulting balance of functions might never seen as right so long as decisions are solely taken by one party exclusively.

Finally, I also do seem to remember (I won't take time to dig that..) that during the 2013 quick starter, the promiss was made that community and commercial version would be on par and would remain so.
Was that real or was that a dream?

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Skip Kimpel
+1

> On May 12, 2016, at 4:55 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have bought, paid, contributed to every single forward offer that RunRev and LiveCode have offered through the years, I had a great deal of faith in our LC team at HQ.
>
> But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for 15 years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine.. .(available for free in dozens of open source apps) is only going to be offered to Business, my enthusiasm for any further participation in any such things as "infinite livecode"  was pretty much extinguished.
>
> It's not that I don't understand a Business level pricing…the entire enterprise collaboration and support makes a great deal of sense for a higher pricing tier.
>
> But when you say  "For all you cooks out there.. you can only use a serving spoon (SFTP) if you choose Business, otherwise you have to carve your own serving spoon (run around installing keys on machines and scripting scp and rsync code into apps.) "   I have to just blink twice and scratch my head
>
> "What is going o? How many more basic utilities that we think we have supported development for, are going to be out of our price range in the future?"
>
> BR
>
>> On 5/12/16, 7:50 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Heather Laine" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important information I'm sure will interest you!
>>
>> https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

xtalkprogrammer
I agree with you. The community helped the company. In return for that,
all new features should be open-source. I'm very disappointed by the
"business-only" features. It seems inconsistent with RunRev's new
open-source strategy. I won't be supporting any future fund
raising campaigns until this changes.

Kind regards,

Mark Schonewille
http://economy-x-talk.com
https://www.facebook.com/marksch

Buy the most extensive book on the
LiveCode language:
http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com

Op 12-May-16 om 22:55 schreef Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami:

> I have bought, paid, contributed to every single forward offer that
> RunRev and LiveCode have offered through the years, I had a great
> deal of faith in our LC team at HQ.
>
> But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for 15
> years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine.. .(available for
> free in dozens of open source apps) is only going to be offered to
> Business, my enthusiasm for any further participation in any such
> things as "infinite livecode"  was pretty much extinguished.
>
> It's not that I don't understand a Business level pricing…the entire
> enterprise collaboration and support makes a great deal of sense for
> a higher pricing tier.
>
> But when you say  "For all you cooks out there.. you can only use a
> serving spoon (SFTP) if you choose Business, otherwise you have to
> carve your own serving spoon (run around installing keys on machines
> and scripting scp and rsync code into apps.) "   I have to just blink
> twice and scratch my head
>
> "What is going o? How many more basic utilities that we think we have
> supported development for, are going to be out of our price range in
> the future?"
>
> BR
>
> On 5/12/16, 7:50 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Heather Laine"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important
>> information I'm sure will interest you!
>>
>> https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
I'm going with authorized keys in house and shell (scp/rSync) and Web API's for apps used by volunteers outside. You are right there… it's probably a more secure method… I only have a handful of people who have the FTP passwords to the server(s) and that's probably as it should remain.

It would be just so much easier to have a UI that allows for the user to enter a user name and password.

On 5/12/16, 12:00 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Richard Gaskin" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>There are no doubt edge cases beyond these, but these three cover about
>90% of upload use cases, and all the use cases you've described thus far
>for your organization.
>
>If you have a need that falls outside of these common solutions, let's
>look at it.  Perhaps there's a way to resolve even highly-specialized
>needs at minimal cost.

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Bob Sneidar-2
On May 12, 2016, at 15:00 , Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

> But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for
> 15 years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine..

Writing the word "simple" doesn't make it so. :)

Yes, many programs offer it.  But none of them also provide a generalized scripting language with integrated GUI controls suitable for crafting a vast range of apps across seven platforms.

If LC was only an SFTP client it might be simple.  But we also ask them to do a lot more, a thousand things no one asks of any SFTP client.

Moreover, because there are so very many capable SFTP clients, why does the world need one more?

Once upon a time a lot of people thought they wanted SFTP in LiveCode. Some still do.  But most of them would rather have the other things the team is also building, and along the way it seems many have lost sight of why they thought they wanted it in the first place.

Agreed. At some point we really need as developers to "roll our own" as it were.

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
It was announced somewhere recently or perhaps I bumped into it when I compared versions.

The other model I think would work would be to offer low priced plug ins. I wouldn't mind paying $9.99 for an SFTP plug in…  I realize LiveCode doesn't have Unity's user base, but the Unity store is amazing… all kinds of things from $2.95 to  $500.00 add ons…

Atom has an SFTP plug in. Previous to that I paid 4.95 for an SFTP plug in for Sublime Text 2.

On 5/12/16, 11:53 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Matthias Rebbe" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

"simple SFTP functionality from the engine.. is only going to be offered to Business, "

Hm, did i miss that? Where did you see or read that?

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Colin Kelly
+1
The same goes for SMTP.

And as for LC8. It's just too buggy to use in any production apps. If LC7 is truly EoL I will probably have to start reinvesting back into Delphi or brushing  back up on C#.
I simply don't have time to keep nursing LC and finding workarounds.

Thanks LC for the memories, it's been emotional!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 12 May 2016, at 21:55, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have bought, paid, contributed to every single forward offer that RunRev and LiveCode have offered through the years, I had a great deal of faith in our LC team at HQ.
>
> But when I saw recently that something we've been begging for, for 15 years… simple SFTP functionality from the engine.. .(available for free in dozens of open source apps) is only going to be offered to Business, my enthusiasm for any further participation in any such things as "infinite livecode"  was pretty much extinguished.
>
> It's not that I don't understand a Business level pricing…the entire enterprise collaboration and support makes a great deal of sense for a higher pricing tier.
>
> But when you say  "For all you cooks out there.. you can only use a serving spoon (SFTP) if you choose Business, otherwise you have to carve your own serving spoon (run around installing keys on machines and scripting scp and rsync code into apps.) "   I have to just blink twice and scratch my head
>
> "What is going o? How many more basic utilities that we think we have supported development for, are going to be out of our price range in the future?"
>
> BR
>
>> On 5/12/16, 7:50 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Heather Laine" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important information I'm sure will interest you!
>>
>> https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Trevor DeVore
On Thursday, May 12, 2016, Colin Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And as for LC8. It's just too buggy to use in any production apps.

Crap! You should have told me that before I started letting customers use
my company's new app written in LC 8. Now I need to go un-release it ;-)

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Stephen Barncard-4
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Crap! You should have told me that before I started letting customers use
> my company's new app written in LC 8. Now I need to go un-release it ;-)

I've noticed there's a lot of Trevor code influence in 8 by the way...

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Colin Kelly
Please don't misunderstand me, I really like LiveCode, I use it in my workplace to rapidly build proof of concept software modals to get sign-off on projects that are then built with more standardised and robust IDEs with more leisurely time frames.
LiveCode is by large measures faster than any other language at building X-platform apps from concept to prototype.
It just bites me that I keep having to reinvest in something that IMO is not a polished product, even the 'stable' releases of v7 are at best betas and v8 should really still be considered alphas and not fit for sale, again IMHO. :)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 13 May 2016, at 00:25, Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, May 12, 2016, Colin Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And as for LC8. It's just too buggy to use in any production apps.
>

> Crap! You should have told me that before I started letting customers use
> my company's new app written in LC 8. Now I need to go un-release it ;-)
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps

RE: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Ralph DiMola
I understand these frustrations. I am in the middle of tracking down LC8 bugs now. I wish that after the incredible achievement that is LC 8 there were 0 bugs. I wish some these things were free in the Indy Edition. I wish I had a new car. My bottom line is:

1) LC got me into the mobile market without getting the Java and Objective C headaches.
2) And as a bonus, Mundane text processing utilities are so easy with LC chunks. I just can't even imagine using any other language now.
3) A great community. Try to get the Kevin or Mark of Adobe to monitor and respond on mailing lists.
4) Support staff that promptly respond to requests quickly. Sometimes even more than once in a day. Can't beat that!
5) Bug reports are answered and fixed much quicker than in large companies. Yah... I know there are some bug reports that have fallen behind. A few of them are mine but all-in-all LC bugs are fixed faster than any other SW I have ever used.

The LC upside WAY outweighs the downside. I'm all in!
At least that's how I feel.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

On 5/12/16, 2:03 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Ralph DiMola" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>The LC upside WAY outweighs the downside. I'm all in!
>At least that's how I feel.

I want to apologize for hi-jacking Heather's thread. If I had complaints about SFTP I should have written to Kevin directly. If it means we all are now "piling on" to say how much we love this tool. I will also switch my tone herewith and into the future.

Certainly an open language.. if achieved will allow for a great many new extensions at prices we can all afford. I am also "all in" with it comes to Livecode and continue to be a strong advocate. My post did not reflect that at all. I have dabbled with PHP, Javascript and really don't want to bother going with another language.

Please resume the intended discussion:

Heather wrote:

"Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important information I'm sure will interest you!

https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

All the best form Hawaii

BR

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Dave Kilroy
Hi all

I agree with Sannyasin about positivity and this being a thread about supporting the development of LiveCode

I also am 'all in' and have just pledged at https://livecode.com/project/infinite-livecode/

My regards to all who have pledged or who intend to pledge, no matter how little or how much - and I'll see you on the sunny side of the street some day!

Kind regards

Dave

Heather wrote:

"Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important information I'm sure will interest you!

https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/

All the best form Hawaii

BR

Peter M. Brigham

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Matt Maier
I just pledged. Both sides of the conversation make sense, and obviously I
ended up on the "pledge" side of it. Getting the widgets and LCB working to
"wrap" several more popular languages will dramatically increase the
utility of everything we already know how to do in Livecode. That's the
main value proposition for me. I only have to learn one (one and a half
now?) language and I can make things happen on all the major operating
systems, the server, soon in browsers. Being able to grab existing code
from, and collaborate with, everyone who doesn't know Livecode will be
fantastic.

Also, I'm approaching the pledge from the perspective of starting my own
company. The way Livecode is going about it is more or less the same way
I'd prefer to go about it. I'd prefer to have a direct relationship where I
solve someone's problem and they pay me for it, willingly, because I'm
actually solving their problem. I also would prefer to tackle big, hairy,
audacious goals. I also expect that I'll be better at working in the
laboratory than doing marketing. Basically, all the stuff Livecode is
doing. They're tackling a big problem, which is addressing a major pain
point for me, so I'm happy to support them.

Big projects always end up taking longer and costing more than hoped. I
don't want them to run out of money before they finish grinding through it.

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I agree with Sannyasin about positivity and this being a thread about
> supporting the development of LiveCode
>
> I also am 'all in' and have just pledged at
> https://livecode.com/project/infinite-livecode/
>
> My regards to all who have pledged or who intend to pledge, no matter how
> little or how much - and I'll see you on the sunny side of the street some
> day!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>

> Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote
> > On 5/12/16, 2:03 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Ralph DiMola" &lt;
>
> > use-livecode-bounces@.runrev
>
> >  on behalf of
>
> > rdimola@
>
> > &gt; wrote:
> >
> >>The LC upside WAY outweighs the downside. I'm all in!
> >>At least that's how I feel.
> >
> > I want to apologize for hi-jacking Heather's thread. If I had complaints
> > about SFTP I should have written to Kevin directly. If it means we all
> are
> > now "piling on" to say how much we love this tool. I will also switch my
> > tone herewith and into the future.
> >
> > Certainly an open language.. if achieved will allow for a great many new
> > extensions at prices we can all afford. I am also "all in" with it comes
> > to Livecode and continue to be a strong advocate. My post did not reflect
> > that at all. I have dabbled with PHP, Javascript and really don't want to
> > bother going with another language.
> >
> > Please resume the intended discussion:
> >
> > Heather wrote:
> >
> > "Please go and read this blog post from Kevin, it contains important
> > information I'm sure will interest you!
> >
> > https://livecode.com/infinite-livecode-a-letter-from-our-ceo/
> >
> > All the best form Hawaii
> >
> > BR

> -----
> "The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes
> the other 90% of the time."
> Peter M. Brigham

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

Heather Laine
Dear Robert,

You make a good point about community involvement. This campaign is all about encouraging much more of it. We want to enable a far wider community of LiveCoders to contribute to the feature set of LiveCode. Our little team cannot do it all.

We have recently set up livecode.org, and we already have a Community Manager in Richard Gaskin, whom we talk regularly with. He is entirely independent from LiveCode Ltd. This is a route we will be looking to expand in the future, ultimately its possible there will be some kind of Open Source Advisory body outside of LiveCode Ltd. We would love to see more in the way of actual hands on involvement from the community to allow a wide enough pool of contributors that could be selected from for such a body.

This is something of a chicken and egg situation. To have a strong vibrant Open Source community making regular contributions to the source, we need to give you the tools to easily contribute. Infinite LiveCode is all about doing exactly that.

So, I would suggest, the logical conclusion is, if you want to see a strong Open Source community with real clout, lets get this campaign funded!

Warm Regards,

Heather

RH

Re: Infinite LiveCode - Message from CEO

RH
I pledged, but the dates given are by far too short - May 23 is just around
the corner. I could pledge more given more time, but currently away on a
trip. I think 3 months pledge time should be normal.

Roland