IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
One of the single largest problems we face is resistance to LiveCode in the
corporate is developers. One, they are not eager to learn a new language.
But once I show them LiveCode, they see the simple ease and simplicity and
become open to the prospect. I even explain it as a way of prototyping
their logic in an English format.

But once they start coding, they outright reject it because of the complete
lack of IntelliSense. These people will NOT BUDGE. There is no way we are
going to convince them that they will have to remember the properties and
function names.

I saw in Kevin's demo of the latest version which showed that there was
FINALLY a list of events to choose from. This should have been there years
ago. You just need to look at LiveCode's competition to see progress. Xojo
is one example. We needed to create a RasPi app as a test, so we purchased
a license, and it's IDE was quite good. MUCH better than LiveCode. We also
use Visual Studio, which has fantastic IntelliSense.

Here is what they are looking for:

1. Function completion. As you type it starts to match a function name, all
the functions so up in a list to choose from as I type.

2. Function parameters. once I type a function, I can mouse over it and all
the parameters and a quick explanation show up.

3. I understand that properties are going to be a problem because LiveCode
is NOT in an algebraic format like Object.Property = value. So setting the
properties first is an issue. How about we put in a placeholder like:

set the ? from field "test"
set the ? from widget "map"

Then...as soon as I put in the object type or object name for a widget, I
would get a pop-up with a list of properties to select from.

These functionalities may not be easy, but should not be difficult. Maybe
an IntelliSense extension, done by the community can be done? It is a major
barrier to entry for experienced developers to switch to. This is the #1
reason we can not get coders in companies to agree to LiveCode. #2 was Git,
but that seems to be solved with community involvement from Trevor.

Just an idea,

Todd Fabacher

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Zryip created a little intellisense plugin some years ago.

http://www.aslugontheroad.com/in-progress/9-intellisense-plugin <http://www.aslugontheroad.com/in-progress/9-intellisense-plugin>

It´s free for users of the Excel Library.

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 19.07.2017 um 22:10 schrieb Todd Fabacher via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> One of the single largest problems we face is resistance to LiveCode in the
> corporate is developers. One, they are not eager to learn a new language.
> But once I show them LiveCode, they see the simple ease and simplicity and
> become open to the prospect. I even explain it as a way of prototyping
> their logic in an English format.
>
> But once they start coding, they outright reject it because of the complete
> lack of IntelliSense. These people will NOT BUDGE. There is no way we are
> going to convince them that they will have to remember the properties and
> function names.
>
> I saw in Kevin's demo of the latest version which showed that there was
> FINALLY a list of events to choose from. This should have been there years
> ago. You just need to look at LiveCode's competition to see progress. Xojo
> is one example. We needed to create a RasPi app as a test, so we purchased
> a license, and it's IDE was quite good. MUCH better than LiveCode. We also
> use Visual Studio, which has fantastic IntelliSense.
>
> Here is what they are looking for:
>
> 1. Function completion. As you type it starts to match a function name, all
> the functions so up in a list to choose from as I type.
>
> 2. Function parameters. once I type a function, I can mouse over it and all
> the parameters and a quick explanation show up.
>
> 3. I understand that properties are going to be a problem because LiveCode
> is NOT in an algebraic format like Object.Property = value. So setting the
> properties first is an issue. How about we put in a placeholder like:
>
> set the ? from field "test"
> set the ? from widget "map"
>
> Then...as soon as I put in the object type or object name for a widget, I
> would get a pop-up with a list of properties to select from.
>

> These functionalities may not be easy, but should not be difficult. Maybe
> an IntelliSense extension, done by the community can be done? It is a major
> barrier to entry for experienced developers to switch to. This is the #1
> reason we can not get coders in companies to agree to LiveCode. #2 was Git,
> but that seems to be solved with community involvement from Trevor.
>
> Just an idea,
>
> Todd Fabacher

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Forgot a setence.

Maybe he is willing to share it.

> [...]

>> is NOT in an algebraic format like Object.Property = value. So setting the
>> properties first is an issue. How about we put in a placeholder like:
>>
>> set the ? from field "test"
>> set the ? from widget "map"
>>
>> Then...as soon as I put in the object type or object name for a widget, I
>> would get a pop-up with a list of properties to select from.
>>

>> These functionalities may not be easy, but should not be difficult. Maybe
>> an IntelliSense extension, done by the community can be done? It is a major
>> barrier to entry for experienced developers to switch to. This is the #1
>> reason we can not get coders in companies to agree to LiveCode. #2 was Git,
>> but that seems to be solved with community involvement from Trevor.
>>
>> Just an idea,
>>
>> Todd Fabacher

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

Todd, this is what the community edition of LC was designed for, so that
people like you and I can code this ourselves and submit it for inclusion
into the whole package. That was the whole purpose of LC going to the
trouble of becoming Open Source. The power is in your hands. Make it
happen. This sort of stuff is not engine based, so write it in LiveCode. As
you know, LC excels in doing this kind of text based search and modify, so
is ideally suited to accomplish Intellisense. This kind of donation to the
community is worth far more than any subscription you might pay.

We all look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital Productions Ltd*
www.pidigital.co.uk

On 19 July 2017 at 21:22, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> properties first is an issue. How about we put in a placeholder like:
> >>
> >> set the ? from field "test"
> >> set the ? from widget "map"
> >>
> >> Then...as soon as I put in the object type or object name for a widget,
> >> would get a pop-up with a list of properties to select from.
> >>

> >> These functionalities may not be easy, but should not be difficult.
> Maybe
> >> an IntelliSense extension, done by the community can be done? It is a
> major
> >> barrier to entry for experienced developers to switch to. This is the #1
> >> reason we can not get coders in companies to agree to LiveCode. #2 was
> Git,
> >> but that seems to be solved with community involvement from Trevor.
> >>
> >> Just an idea,
> >>
> >> Todd Fabacher

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

Except there is no option to download it anywhere I can see on the site.

Bob S

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 13:18 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Zryip created a little intellisense plugin some years ago.
>
> http://www.aslugontheroad.com/in-progress/9-intellisense-plugin <http://www.aslugontheroad.com/in-progress/9-intellisense-plugin>
>
> It´s free for users of the Excel Library.
>
> Matthias
>
> Matthias Rebbe

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/5-open-sources

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Except there is no option to download it anywhere I can see on the site.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jul 19, 2017, at 13:18 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Zryip created a little intellisense plugin some years ago.
> >
> > http://www.aslugontheroad.com/in-progress/9-intellisense-plugin <
> http://www.aslugontheroad.com/in-progress/9-intellisense-plugin>
> >
> > It´s free for users of the Excel Library.
> >
> > Matthias
> >
> > Matthias Rebbe

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks Mike . I didn't look in Open Source as I thought it was for people who had purchased the ExcelLIB product. DOH.

Re: IntelliSense - Intelligent code completion for LiveCode

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi,
i am sorry for the confusion.
I thought it was only for Excel library license owners.

Good to know that it is open source now.