Internet Library minimum OS versions

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
From the Standalone Applications Settings Inclusions pane, if I select either the Internet Library or mergPop (or rrehardcopy… I didn’t test everything :- ) this causes an app installed on iOS 10.3, to crash on launch. Should it be considered a bug to be able to select an Inclusion and a minimum OS that are not compatible. I don’t see any way to find a “Minimum Allowed OS” for the various inclusions. Or should I submit all these as bugs.  LC 9.6 (dp 2) Business

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
booth    1-800-615-0867

Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Are there any examples around of PWA’s written in LiveCode? Would like to experience it!
Ingar

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

On 2/16/2020 6:58 AM, Ingar Roggen via use-livecode wrote:
> Are there any examples around of PWA’s written in LiveCode? Would like to experience it!

Wiipedia defines a PWA as:
"A progressive web application is a type of application software
delivered through the web, built using common web technologies including
HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is intended to work on any platform that
uses a standards-compliant browser."

So, you when you speak of a PWA written in LiveCode, you are either
talking about using LiveCode server to generate HTML5, CSS3 and
Javascript that forms some application?

OR

You are talking about using the HTML build option for LiveCode
standalones. For this latter, there have been a bunch of samples posted
to this list in the past.

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Hi, Paul, thanks for the answer - and questions.
I hope that it is possible to design webpages with functionalities specially adapted to screens of mobiles, so that they can be used easily with mobiles without writing (and downloading?) special apps for the purpose. And that there are some examples at hand. Therefore my S.O.S.
Regards
Ingar

On Feb 16, 2020, at 5:15 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "A progressive web application is a type of application software delivered through the web, built using common web technologies including HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is intended to work on any platform that uses a standards-compliant browser.”

And foolish me thought we were going to have a political discussion . . .

:)

Re: Internet Library minimum OS versions

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
This sounds like the problem I had:
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/iOS-app-crashes-on-launch-tp4736075.html

Mark did wonder if iOS 8 and 9 should be removed from standalone settings.
But the problem only happens if the app has a browser widget, so it's kind
of a toss up.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On February 16, 2020 5:44:24 AM scott--- via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> From the Standalone Applications Settings Inclusions pane, if I select
> either the Internet Library or mergPop (or rrehardcopy… I didn’t test
> everything :- ) this causes an app installed on iOS 10.3, to crash on
> launch. Should it be considered a bug to be able to select an Inclusion and
> a minimum OS that are not compatible. I don’t see any way to find a
> “Minimum Allowed OS” for the various inclusions. Or should I submit all
> these as bugs.  LC 9.6 (dp 2) Business
>
> Scott Morrow
>
> Elementary Software
> (Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
> web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
> email     [hidden email]
> booth    1-800-615-0867

Re: Internet Library minimum OS versions

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
I followed that discussion.  In this case I found that simply including Internet (library) or mergPop with a completely bare stack was enough to crash it on launch under iOS 10. I guess I will file a bug report. At least there could be a note in the dictionary entry about minimum OS. Ideally the standalone builder should catch it… though I understand that might require a bit more testing
— Scott

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 4:31 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This sounds like the problem I had:
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/iOS-app-crashes-on-launch-tp4736075.html
>
> Mark did wonder if iOS 8 and 9 should be removed from standalone settings. But the problem only happens if the app has a browser widget, so it's kind of a toss up.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On February 16, 2020 5:44:24 AM scott--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From the Standalone Applications Settings Inclusions pane, if I select either the Internet Library or mergPop (or rrehardcopy… I didn’t test everything :- ) this causes an app installed on iOS 10.3, to crash on launch. Should it be considered a bug to be able to select an Inclusion and a minimum OS that are not compatible. I don’t see any way to find a “Minimum Allowed OS” for the various inclusions. Or should I submit all these as bugs.  LC 9.6 (dp 2) Business
>>
>> Scott Morrow
>>
>> Elementary Software
>> (Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
>> web       https://elementarysoftware.com/
>> email     [hidden email]
>> booth    1-800-615-0867

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
I see, «progressive»…

> 16. feb. 2020 kl. 22:33 skrev doc hawk via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 5:15 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "A progressive web application is a type of application software delivered through the web, built using common web technologies including HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is intended to work on any platform that uses a standards-compliant browser.”
>

> And foolish me thought we were going to have a political discussion . . .
>
> :)

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Aren't all discussions political? ;-)

Bob S

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 13:33 , doc hawk via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Feb 16, 2020, at 5:15 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "A progressive web application is a type of application software delivered through the web, built using common web technologies including HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is intended to work on any platform that uses a standards-compliant browser.”
>

> And foolish me thought we were going to have a political discussion . . .
>
> :)

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Does anyone have a reply to Ingar’s original question?

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 6:16 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Aren't all discussions political? ;-)
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Feb 16, 2020, at 13:33 , doc hawk via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2020, at 5:15 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "A progressive web application is a type of application software delivered through the web, built using common web technologies including HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is intended to work on any platform that uses a standards-compliant browser.”
>>

>> And foolish me thought we were going to have a political discussion . . .
>>
>> :)

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
The answer is EITHER:

Use LiveCode SERVER to generate the HTML5 and CCS for the app and layer
your own Javascript into it [Much more work, but you can deliver exactly
the front end you want - you have to keep track fo what HTML, CSS, and
Javascript you use is standards-compliant)
OR
Use LievCode HTML to deploy your stacks/App as an HTML/CSS/Javascript
app.(lLess work, but you are limited to what the HTML builder for
LiveCode can produce [mostly, I think there is someone on this list who
has posted many example of extending the generated web app with
supplemental javascript])

However, in my opinion "intended to work on any platform that uses a
standards-compliant browser." (from the definition of WPA) is marketing
bullsh*t. I find way too many things that are *supposed* to work across
all browsers that do not.

On 2/18/2020 8:42 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:

> Does anyone have a reply to Ingar’s original question?
>

>> On Feb 18, 2020, at 6:16 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Aren't all discussions political? ;-)
>>
>> Bob S

>>> And foolish me thought we were going to have a political discussion . . .
>>>
>>> :)

Re: Progressive Web App (PWA)

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Progressive web apps are just websites, with a manifest file (JSON based
text file that contains additional settings, like links to the "apps"
homepage icon). Any website can be made into a PWA regardless of the
technology used to create it.

PWA can make use of Javascript-based service workers that can help give
that native feel, e.g. for caching, data storage and offline support. Sadly
though on iOS, PWA's are yet to support push notifications.

You access the URL of the PWA and get prompted to add the app to the home
screen. From there, when the app is launched, it is displayed fullscreen,
how the app now functions depends purely on how you have coded the app.

There tends to be a lot of focus on creating single-page based apps for
mobile (e.g using vue, angular, react etc) to get that "native" app
experience - but personally I prefer multipage apps and only using
javascript when needed. Depending on what you are doing, performance often
exceeds that of the "native" app approach.